API SA really still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your burning more oil than gasoline, maybe this stuff(and re-refined oil) is the way to go.
It would fit right in with those little 'anti fouling' thingys for the spark plugs.

I recall Canadian Tire used to sell an oil that just said Motor Oil on it. Not sure if they still do, but perhaps another candidate.

Accel SA , accel also makes some SG rated stuff
with a big warning "not for use in vehicles
newer than 1988"

Its available at Autozone, Big Lots(sometimes)
Every walmart I've ever been to and other
"quality retailers".

There's a BP gas station combo convenient store nearby here that has a nice big row of SAE 40 SA in their oil section. Since it's the lowest priced oil there, I can see where desperate and ignorant people buy this stuff from the change they found under the front seat. They may as well sell crack in the candy section while they're at it.

That crud they sell at dollar generals and beleive family doller.... (minus the havoline and pennzoil.... maybe stp?)

This brings to mind that SA oil perhaps has its uses. But at that price ($1.58/qt) the economic advantage isn't there. It would have to be for some other reason. At the moment I can't think of any.

Is it perhaps loaded with ZDDP?

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
This brings to mind that SA oil perhaps has its uses. But at that price ($1.58/qt) the economic advantage isn't there. It would have to be for some other reason. At the moment I can't think of any.

Is it perhaps loaded with ZDDP?

An oil labled SA could be most any old ****pe. For one thing, there is no longer any such thing as an official SA oil.

For another thing, if you ran an SM oil through the SA tests (assuming you could find the test eauipment) there is no reason to expect that SM oil wouldn't qualify as SA oil.

Oil specs for the most part are performance and compatibility specs, not formulation specs.

Isn't SA essentially non-detergent? Perhaps it would be best used in an application in an old engine filled with sludge and deposits that detergents would stir up? That's the only thing I can think of. I know my father had an old beater lawn mower that I used (heavy as a pile of bricks
mad.gif
) I used in the wet, marshy areas laden with hazards like tree stumps and roots that he didn't want to risk ruining the newer mower on, around the backyard treeline. I think he insisted on using nondetergent in the engine for fear that a detergent oil would stir up any deposits in the engine. I'm not sure that SA is 'nondetergent' though, but I think it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
Isn't SA essentially non-detergent?

I believe it's non-anything. API SA, became obsolete in the 1930s when the first additive engine oils (API SB) began to appear. It was defined retroactively when API first set up its engine oil licensing program in the 1960s. IIRC, even current non-detergent oils have some additives in them.

It's probably made out of the cheapest Grp I oil that can be had sans anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if they get it for free as waste product.

I wouldn't use it in my old lawnmower.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000391424.cfm?x=b11,0,w

“We buy several hundred gallons of line wash every year, which we use for bar-and-chain applications, a legitimate usage,” Taglia said. “However, we understand some marketers are simply relabeling line wash as engine oil, which is not an ethical usage.”

[ August 26, 2006, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

SA from memory is ONLY base stock with a small amount of AO or PPD if any.
SB has I think a SMALL amount of ZDDP.

You would be far better of using a ISO 100 AW hydraulic oil.
bruce

""We buy several hundred gallons of line wash every year, which we use for bar-and-chain applications, a legitimate usage,” Taglia said. “However, we understand some marketers are simply relabeling line wash as engine oil, which is not an ethical usage.""

Very true still done today.
My line wash goes into cutting oil.

bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back