API Licensing - what affects eligibility?

I was familiarizing myself with Amsoil's latest products and noticed their new Hybrid and High-Mileage oils are API Licensed, but the new Extended-Life is not.

(To be honest, I was pretty surprised that their Hybrid and High-Mileage oils were API Licensed.)

1691704711586.jpg

For a number of years, one of the main reasons for not pursuing API Licensing was the Phosphorus content. Based on the recent Amsoil VOA I don't think this is relevant anymore. So, what's stopping them?

If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing (see the Ask AMSOIL entry above for more information).

Check the bottom of the FAQ's for more details.

Back