Anyone with Confirmed Engine Damage from LSPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got another malibu forum notice, seems their 1.5's are still blowing!!! why no issues with the VW 1.4L

The 1.6L Hyundai Veloster Turbo was notorious for it according to Veloster forums.
My 2016 had almost 40k at trade in with no issues. It seemed to like Castrol Edge 5w40 US.

Plugs looked great when I traded it in btw.

The only issues I've heard about, in person not via a faceless-user forum, is the engine having issues was when aftermarket (non OEM) filters were used. It would develop a tick and all of a sudden engine issues would follow within 10k of changing (2 OCIs).
The OEM filters are mainly used for flow and not high filtration efficiency. Maybe the LSPI issues in the engine was due to a slower filtering filter causing it?

Originally Posted by IndyIan
GM/Cadillac had some on the 2.0L, GM introduced another spec of dexos to get help stop LSPI. There were more than a few broken motors with only 30k easy use.

same in israel many of them had cracked pistons.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Anyone that owns a force inducted (Turbocharged or supercharged) engine and runs 87 octane fuel deserves it, I don't care what the manual says you can run! Todays engines are very high output / low displacement and with all the turbocharged engines coming out these OEM's are letting the knock sensors and ECM strategies just dial back timing to almost nothing so that they can state "use of 87 octane is permissible"

Cylinder pressures are ridiculous on these engines!! We're talking 9.5-10.5:1 compression with 7-14psi boost!!! If you own a turbocharged vehicle, do NOT use anything but premium fuel!

Yep. + 1000000 %

But buyers want the power of a turbo engine with the least expensive gasoline and oil.

Turbo = premium gas & full syn oils

Originally Posted by avi1777
GM/Cadillac had some on the 2.0L, GM introduced another spec of dexos to get help stop LSPI. There were more than a few broken motors with only 30k easy use.

huh, do they sell Cadillac in israel?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Anyone that owns a force inducted (Turbocharged or supercharged) engine and runs 87 octane fuel deserves it, I don't care what the manual says you can run! Todays engines are very high output / low displacement and with all the turbocharged engines coming out these OEM's are letting the knock sensors and ECM strategies just dial back timing to almost nothing so that they can state "use of 87 octane is permissible"

Cylinder pressures are ridiculous on these engines!! We're talking 9.5-10.5:1 compression with 7-14psi boost!!! If you own a turbocharged vehicle, do NOT use anything but premium fuel!

Yep. + 1000000 %

But buyers want the power of a turbo engine with the least expensive gasoline and oil.

I agree too ^^^^^^

Want or have a vehicle capable of high performance yet want to pay for and use cheap gas...

Be like having a porterhouse steak and wanting a real cheap cheap beverage to go with it... Like say Milwaukee's Best... Sorry but that is some trailer park level beer in my opinion
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken

why wouldnt they? Bentleys,rolls,ferrari u name it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Could we keep the politics out of this?

Why? How? CAFE and emission standards mandated by the .gov is responsible for these issues and the engine technology we are forced to buy; technology not thoroughly vetted and paid for at our expense.

I own a small fleet of semis. In order to retain qualified (PC friendly word) drivers, I need newer trucks with automatic transmissions and the like. Unfortunately, these trucks come with all the latest and greatest emission components. I'm forced to spend thousands of dollars a year on these component repairs, out of service costs, and DEF.

The older, emission free trucks with their 13 and 18 speeds with drivers too old and set in their ways to change, churn out the work with little fanfare and a million miles on the odometer.

Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan

Why? How? CAFE and emission standards mandated by the .gov is responsible for these issues and the engine technology we are forced to buy; technology not thoroughly vetted and paid for at our expense.

I own a small fleet of semis. In order to retain qualified (PC friendly word) drivers, I need newer trucks with automatic transmissions and the like. Unfortunately, these trucks come with all the latest and greatest emission components. I'm forced to spend thousands of dollars a year on these component repairs, out of service costs, and DEF.

The older, emission free trucks with their 13 and 18 speeds with drivers too old and set in their ways to change, churn out the work with little fanfare and a million miles on the odometer.

First of all the rules of this board are clear.

CAFE has been around for well over 40 years now. While there have been some bumps along the way I for one appreciate cleaner burning engines. Fuel economy is money in my pocket any way you cut it.

Thanks for replying to a almost one year old comment.

So, the new MO is if you don't like someone telling the truth about CAFE and it's consequences, you cry 'political post' and try to get that person banned?

Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan

First of all the rules of this board are clear.

CAFE has been around for well over 40 years now. While there have been some bumps along the way I for one appreciate cleaner burning engines. Fuel economy is money in my pocket any way you cut it.

Thanks for replying to a almost one year old comment.

You wrote, "First of all" like you were prepared to list bulleted points but failed. Way to leave me hanging. Your year-old post didn't stop you from your ad-lib. We are not discussing the upcoming election but LSPI as a result of components used solely for reducing emissions and increasing fuel economy. Discussing either indirectly involves the .gov as the two are intertwined.

I don't need to be told about appreciating fuel economy, each of my 18 trucks average about 4 MPG. That average includes the pre-emission trucks that don't sock it to me with the added cost of the emissions components that fail and need replacing or maintenance.

One failure of these needless components will wipe out any fuel savings you realize.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

understand the other brands, but we dont get the Cadillac overhere. Maybe you can buy them in germany

understand the other brands, but we dont get the Cadillac overhere. Maybe you can buy them in germany

At least some people understand that a Cadillac is a luxury Chevrolet.. maybe the rest of the world is smarter than we are.

GM even got out of Opel.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Yep. + 1000000 %

SAME HERE!!
thumbsup2.gif

My 1.6 EcoBoost has a 10.0:1 comp ratio, AND up to 23 PSI of boost out of the FACTORY turbo and tune!
crazy2.gif

I am NOT going to try and save a few pennies per fill-up, and even think about risking this engine (NO MATTER HOW GREAT Ford's O.A.R. system may be!), especially not given the way I drive this thing, and during blazing summertime ambient temps.
31.gif

LSPI is an engine philosophy and design flaw not a oil flaw. Little turbo's running high boost at low RPM has NEVER been a good idea and hard on engine well before direct injection even existed. Stop trying to make 2.0L 4cyl behave like a 5L V8 with little turbos running high low end boost OR if you do it do it right. VW an BMW have been making direct injection turbo cars with too small turbo's and high low end boost since 2006. I've owned both, the VW for 125k miles and the BMW for 200k miles BOTH of with reprogrammed ECUs boosting DOUBLE factory specs at low/mid range for just about all of those miles. Not once have I heard of this being a problem with these manufacturers (the rest of those cars fall apart in typical german fashion).

Its silly to make the solution oil with less of one of best known detergents in harder working engines instead of making/tuning engines that don't detonate. If oil is the ONLY thing preventing my engine from pre-ignition I don't want that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back