Anyone use diff oil to avoid winter oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w-30 year round. In the heat, some days up to 100 degrees F, of the eastern NC summers and high humidity to the one or two days a winter that it gets down to 20 degrees F.

Originally Posted By: Kira

And StevieC: Nothing like cold concrete therapy for a bad back.

My back went into spasm's reading this comment.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I've chosen to pay full Walmart price (minus the rebate) for M1EP for this month's change...because I have to change oil outdoors...and both vehicles see very high mileage...both will definitely exceed 10k by early to mid-March.

If an oil is good enough to do a longer drain in the winter, why not run the same oil for an extended drain in the warmer months?

I don't do a winter/summer oil. I'll change them early in the fall if the OCI looks like it will come up in January or February. Or I'll stretch them slightly and change on a warm spring day. I figure that's a good reason to use synthetics in case I do have to extend the OCI some. I want my cars to work for me rather than me going out of my way for them.

On two of our vehicles, I use good syns that I pick up at the best prices (sales/rebates combo). Most recent OCI was Valvoline FSwML in one and older PUP in the other. However, I've chosen to pay full Walmart price (minus the rebate) for M1EP for this month's change...because I have to change oil outdoors...and both vehicles see very high mileage...both will definitely exceed 10k by early to mid-March. I enjoy changing the oil, but not outdoors in the middle of winter. Anyone else choose a different formula for this reason?

Suck it up and lay in the snow doing the oil change like many of us.

Originally Posted By: Donald
On two of our vehicles, I use good syns that I pick up at the best prices (sales/rebates combo). Most recent OCI was Valvoline FSwML in one and older PUP in the other. However, I've chosen to pay full Walmart price (minus the rebate) for M1EP for this month's change...because I have to change oil outdoors...and both vehicles see very high mileage...both will definitely exceed 10k by early to mid-March. I enjoy changing the oil, but not outdoors in the middle of winter. Anyone else choose a different formula for this reason?

Suck it up and lay in the snow doing the oil change like many of us.

This.

Alternatively, seeing you bought M1 EP, which is spec'd for 15k miles, you have a 5k buffer from your 10k OCI.

Based on your planned OCI, it'll be four months til you hit 10k, by the time you hit 15k, it will be April-May.

You bought an extended drain oil. This would be a good time to utilize the oil to it's full 15k potential (or near-full potential).

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Poop, I freaked out thinking this thread was about using differential oil to avoid winter oil changes.
crazy.gif

I was thinking the same. I don't imagine 85w-140 pumps too good at -20F

Since I switched to M1 0W-40 in my 5 vehicles starting on the coldest day is no longer an issue, oil consumption has dropped in my 2 Chrysler mini-vans; I change it once a year whether it needs it or not.

Richard

Last edited:
If you are putting that many miles a month on a vehicle, it should easily go for longer drains. Can't be that many short trips ...

Do a fall change and wait until spring
laugh.gif

I try to time my oil changes to avoid winter oci’s if possible. My van has an OLM so I cannot control when it will recommend an oil change. My truck’s odometer is broken. When it was working, I was doing about 6k miles per year. I cannot imagine that I am doing much more than that. Because it sees mostly short trips, I change the oil every 6 months (Havoline High Mileage). I change around the first of November and the first of May without an concern as to mileage. My next OCI, I may mix 2 quarts of Havoline synthetic with 3 quarts f Havoline High Mileage and run it for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back