Anyone try renewing there Drivers license ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well in Illinois I just renewed my CDL , with a HAZ-MAT endorsement along with tanker and doubles and triples

process started 1 month ago to get an appointment to be fingerprinted providing an original birth certificate my photo ID AKA CDL, and two forms of bills for my address verification, them wait for the letter from the TSA withe their seal of approval, now off th the Illinois CDL facility to practice standing in line to go to the photo area,
stand in line for your payment ,
stand in line to get a seat to take your hazmat test
then take your hazmat test
stand in line to say your done only to find out you dont get your new licence you get a temporary licence on a piece of paper nd your new one will arrive in 30 -90 days

time invested between driving for fingerprints and the licence facility ,,,, 8 hours
39.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

What because a few illegals are in are country,
spankme2.gif
Get them. Iv'e had a Drivers licence for over 40 years. Why bother the simple folks? (vented feel better now)
smile.gif

Yes as few a just a bit over 30 million at last guestament.

Mine expires sometime in the 40's, I'll worry about it then...if we still have human drivers!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I provided all my documents in Florida like 7 YEARS AGO. Taxechusets must be really behind the ball.

Got the little gold star on my license, that I guess proves that I really am, who I say I am.

We just renewed all our family passports and they all came back in about 10 days, which is super fast compared to what it used to take.

Yeah, they said they updated their computer system which was about 30 years old.

I guess the only good part about it is that if you get stuck at a roadblock run by ICE, your driver's license would be good enough to show that you're a citizen if you are. Seems they can check within 100 miles of the border and I'm not that far if I go up north.

This thread paid off, just went and learned there are two kinds of DL's now, a Real ID and the standard. The Real allows the DL to be used for air travel after 10/2020, the standard does not. Now I have time to get the extra docs in order to get the Real. Plus make an appt. with the CA DMV so don't have to wait long. Anything to make air travel safer is fine with me. Interesting the law was passed in 2005.

The Real ID DL does not prove you are a citizen, non citizens can get it, like always.

My buddy got fined for an expired license which expires every five years. The police officer was using the photo plate recognition camera which automatically checked his registration and then linked to the registered owner which was him, then indicated his license expired. There is a one month grace period, but he was over that. $300 fine.

IL does it too. I had to provide a copy of my BC to renew. What ticks me off is a military ID is not accepted as proof, which is completely stupid. I'd like to see anyone try to get a military ID without first showing your BC...pretty sure it can't be done...

Originally Posted By: grampi
IL does it too. I had to provide a copy of my BC to renew. What ticks me off is a military ID is not accepted as proof, which is completely stupid. I'd like to see anyone try to get a military ID without first showing your BC...pretty sure it can't be done...

How so? I'm pretty sure there are those in the military now who aren't citizens. You hear about it all the time.

I'm planning on using SS card with passport.

We renew every 10 years here...well, this license has only been in use 20 years, so my 2nd renewal soon. Last time I had to get a doctors certificate to keep my heavy truck licenses...not sure if I'll do that this time - one because I'm not sure they are usefull to me anymore, and two because last time the doctor seemed to think I was going to die tomorrow and he kept me coming back for weeks doing tests.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

How so? I'm pretty sure there are those in the military now who aren't citizens. You hear about it all the time.

I don't buy that. You can't enlist without a BC...

You don't have to buy it for it to be true. Green card holders can also enlist and they are not citizens.

https://www.thebalance.com/can-a-non-u-s-citizen-join-the-united-states-military-3354092

You don't have to buy it for it to be true. Green card holders can also enlist and they are not citizens.

https://www.thebalance.com/can-a-non-u-s-citizen-join-the-united-states-military-3354092

So what? If they have a green card they are here legally. Having to show a BC is so illegals can't obtain a driver's license...my original statement stands, showing a military ID should be sufficient...

Last edited:
So what? If they have a green card they are here legally. Having to show a BC is so illegals can't obtain a driver's license...my original statement stands, showing a military ID should be sufficient...

You would still be wrong though. You either have to show a birth certificate or documentation showing that you have a lawful presence in the US. A military ID doesn't define either. It just means you either showed a birth certificate or had a green card. They want to see the same documentation. In their list of documentation, it's not mentioned. Makes sense too as green cards expire.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/new-massachusetts-requirements

You would still be wrong though. You either have to show a birth certificate or documentation showing that you have a lawful presence in the US. A military ID doesn't define either. It just means you either showed a birth certificate or had a green card. They want to see the same documentation. In their list of documentation, it's not mentioned. Makes sense too as green cards expire.

How does a military ID not prove you are in this country legally? You can't obtain one unless you have either a BC or a green card...that is proof...and the military ID can only be valid for as long as the green card is valid, unless you're retired military, which is good for the rest of your life...

Last edited:

How does a military ID not prove you are in this country legally? You can't obtain one unless you have either a BC or a green card...that is proof...and the military ID can only be valid for as long as the green card is valid, unless you're retired military, which is good for the rest of your life...

But it doesn't tell them whether you're a citizen or a green card holder. If the military ID expires in a year, do they make the license expire in a year or the normal length? They want to see one or the other, not one that could be either. There's a difference.

But it doesn't tell them whether you're a citizen or a green card holder. If the military ID expires in a year, do they make the license expire in a year or the normal length? They want to see one or the other, not one that could be either. There's a difference.

What's the difference if you're a citizen or a green card holder? All they care about is if you're in this country legally...and the driver's license should only be valid for as long as your ID is valid, or the normal length of time a license is good for, whichever comes first...

What's the difference if you're a citizen or a green card holder? All they care about is if you're in this country legally...and the driver's license should only be valid for as long as your ID is valid, or the normal length of time a license is good for, whichever comes first...

Did you read my reply? The difference is that they can't tell whether you're a US citizen or green card holder and when the license should expire. The license is good for 5 years so if your ID expires in a lesser amount of time, you wouldn't get the full time out of it. People are already moaning and groaning about not know about Real Id and having to get another one in 2 years because they renewed early instead of it being good for 5. Plus it's a bureaucracy, they can demand whatever they want to demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back