Anyone still using 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used castrol GTX 20w 50 and a container of STP additive in my toyota 4 cylinder when I was a kid in the late 80,s
With the 35 inch tires and 100 hp engine it was toast at 150k.
Plus young and drove it hard.
Not sure if the thick oil helped me get that far or hurt.
No would not use it now days.
0w 40 or a 10w 30 is all I would use and I will no longer use a additive.

Last edited:
I run 20w-50 in my marine engine. It calls for 20w-40 synthetic that Mercruiser no longer makes, and doesnt have an oil cooler. After awhile at cruise, the engine oil temps creep to 240+ and I lose a lot of pressure, the thicker oil certainly helps keep the gauge off zero when I go back to idle. I run Valvoline ZR1 synthetic 20w-50.

I run 20w50 in 2 vehicles. First is my 2005 Harley Superglide Sport. It has the twin cam 88. I think 20w50 is typical for many Harleys.
When I had the 428 Cobra Jet in my Mach 1 rebuilt, engine builder recommended 20w50 dino. Its a 464 stroker now and I'll run what he suggests as I really don't want to pay for another rebuild
grin.gif

Neither vehicle gets driven when its colder than about 40 F

Originally Posted by car54
I run 20w-50 in my marine engine. It calls for 20w-40 synthetic that Mercruiser no longer makes, and doesnt have an oil cooler. After awhile at cruise, the engine oil temps creep to 240+ and I lose a lot of pressure, the thicker oil certainly helps keep the gauge off zero when I go back to idle. I run Valvoline ZR1 synthetic 20w-50.

Hi,
Not sure that moving to a thicker oil has fixed the problem. Masked the problem maybe?
If your gauge is factual then maybe you have an oil cooling problem?
Cheers,
Iain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back