Anyone running a tune on the 1.4 turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was quite the discussion on another board about tuning for the 5.3 motors over on a Silverado/Sierra forum I frequent.

After much discussion a few things were brought forth-

1) Any "Tune" on the market (any brand at all) makes a "change event" on the ECM log.
2) If this wasn't an OEM update-then it's a tune.
3) General Motors (in this instance) requires a "snap shot" of the ECM log before authorizing any power train warranty work. OR any parts that would have been affected by the tune. I guess that COULD BE the whole power train taken to the extreme.
4) And yes-they can void the power train warranty with a tune, or even a non-logged "change event" on the ECM, if you think you can "out smart" them by taking your tune off-and putting back on the OEM data-before going to the dealer for (power train) warranty work. This will still show an "unauthorized event".

No one has been able to prove the above information-FALSE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
They (the 1.0T I-4, 1.6T I-4 and 1.5T I-3 EcoBoosts) ARE fairly strong little power plants, and remember, you are NOT going to be at peak; torque/boost, revs, and wide open throttle all of the time.
wink.gif

BTW; There are some in the Fiesta ST world pulling over 425 WHP out of these things on an unopened FACTORY long block with a tuned big turbo system, and all of the auxiliary supporting mods (4 port injection added, and possibly a water-methanol injection system as well) added, and YES, they ARE 'streetable' in this form.
19.gif

Believe it or not, the IB6 transaxles, and even the factory clutch (if not too worn already when these power mods are done) can handle these power levels quite well.
I still argue with some of them that an aftermarket limited slip diff IS an ABSOLUTE at those power levels, even though some of them claim otherwise as long as VERY sticky tires are employed.

Supposedly, the 1.0 is limited to 170 hp without upgrading the turbo, but I haven't looked at what the stock block and rotating assembly can take. 170 would be more than enough, and I don't really care to push it that far. This is supposed to be my daily driver. It gets 40 MPG without even trying, and I like it that way.

^^^YIKES!
HOW does one get 170 to the wheels on those things (or is that at the crank? STILL UNBELIEVABLE) without changing out the factory snail?!? [???:)]

No wonder those Euro Rally Championship R2 class 1.0 EcoBoost Fiestas appear to be soooo quick in all of those youtube vids!!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back