Anyone made a bypass setup like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of planning, I finally ordered all the components for my bypass kit. It is kind of a hybrid between a dual remote system, and a single bypass system. I bought a filter adapter, which feeds a supply and return hose to a dual remote filter mount. The difference here is that I am separating the return passages between the filters inside the filter mount. This allows me to return the oil from the full flow filter back to the oiling system, and run a separate line from the bypass filter to the valve cover. I decided on this because I liked the simplicity of a single bypass kit (mainly because there is no mystery in the D.P. and its effect on the flow. I can disconnect my return line and actually measure the flow to verify it), but I wanted the extra capacity that I could get by going with a bigger full flow filter.

Just curious if this has been done before!

For what reason? The filtered oil is returned to the engine and mixing in the sump rather than the filter mount. Same result.

You're over-thinking this.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
For what reason? The filtered oil is returned to the engine and mixing in the sump rather than the filter mount. Same result.

You're over-thinking this.

That's not entirely true, because in a normal dual remote bypass setup, the bypass filter has a drastically lower differential pressure, as the oil mostly short circuits through the full flow filter. I could not get a straight answer from anyone on BITOG about whether an orifice was supposed to be used on the bypass filter with a dual remote bypass setup, and so I just made the decision to go this route. I was confident about how it's supposed to be done with a single remote setup, and this actually behaves the same way.

By the way to answer the other question, it is on a 2.3L Accord motor.

Should work just fine, as long as flow through the bypass element is sufficiently low. You may want to get a good oil pressure gauge and baseline your oil pressure, both at idle, and operating rpms. Then take comparison readings after you install your system.

I think oil pressure is your main concern. After that, just take oil samples to see what effect your system is having. Don't forget to take a baseline sample before you add your filtering system. This is one thing I wish I'd done before I added my bypass filter.

Last edited:
Yes, I plan on doing a UOA just before switching to this setup. It will be @ 6k miles on Mobil1 5W-30, so I will definitely be comfortable as long as I remain under those levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back