Anyone know easy way to remove Cosmoline from gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an SKS covered in Cosmoline ("corrosion preventing petroleum jelly"). How can I get the stuff off and be able to shoot the rifle?

Boiling is a super quick way. Laugh (I did when I heard that) but that's actually how a lot of smiths do it.

Easy off oven cleaner, but don't let it sit on there too long. If you're interested in preserving the finish or a light cartouche on the wood, use another method.

Remove stock and bake at 140-150 degrees. The melting point of Cosmoline is like 135 degrees, I think. Just be sure to place a pan under it that you won't use anymore. Also, I've heard it can be smelly, so use an outdoor source of heat if possible, such as a metal trash can in direct sunlight, but up in the Ozark Mountains, you probably won't get it hot enough. Google how to clean a Mosin Nagant. There are hundreds of videos and how to's out there. Hope the gun is a joy.

I have always disassembled the action and barrel from the stock and thoroughly cleaned it with brake parts cleaner. I have never had a issue with this method .

If it's still relatively hot & sunny in the Ozarks, you could disassemble it as best you can then stick in in a big plastic bag (preferably black) and let it sit in the sun for several days. Then wipe off everything you can and wipe down with WD40.

A buddy of mine in Nevada uses this method with great success but he has the benefit of unbearable heat & sun most of the year.

You can give mineral spirits a shot, it worked for me, if not brake cleaner works well. Just be sure to keep wood or plastic away from brake cleaner.

I usually use kerosene and a parts cleaner brush. It takes somet time but works well, and isn't nearly as hard on your hands as brake cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back