Anyone Install Spin-On Filter for Power Steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on installing a bypass filter for my ATF. While looking at how much under hood space I have, I can easily fit a permacool type spin on filter adapter next to the where the ATF bypass, which is also right next to the power steering reservoir. I know this is totally overkill and really just doing it for the fun of it. Is there any reason I shouldn't do it from a 'you could ruin your PS system' perspective?

PS - have ruled out the plastic magnefine as I have leaks with everyone I've had. I like the aluminum version but at $100, the permacool is cheaper.

Thanks

Last edited:
I run a remote spin on filter for my power steering pumps on two PU trucks and one car. I run the filter on the oil return line and have run this set up for several years with no problems. My PS fluid stays nice and clear. The mounts I have are threaded for standard 3/4-16 oil filters. I was kinda in the same situation as you. I just intended to add secondary filtration for my auto transmissions and then I figured since the power steering lines were easy to get to, my as well hook up a filter.

Wix makes an equivalent magnetic inline filter that's not had so much issues with leaking like Magnifine orielys sells em
also you may be getting knock off magnefines ??

If you ever change the pump you want one.Its sends metal shards all thru the system.

I've had one on one car for over 20 years. My newer car got one about 9 years ago. I used a typical remote filter base, high-quality Aeroquip blue hose, push-on/barb hose ends meant for that hose, and spring clamps. The filter I've been using is a Wix 51515. It fits these remote bases and is one of the cheaper filters out there.

Typically, I replace the filter when it gets too rusty. The fluid (ATF in both cars) always looks new.

Some may say it's overkill, but if you keep your cars a long time, it's worth it. The power steering pump on the old car was going strong at 250,000 miles because the fluid is clean.

One note about these remote filter bases: you'll want to spend some time smoothing the sealing surface. The finish is never all that good on these. Just use a flat surface and sand paper to clean it up. I've seen some with machining marks on them so deep the filter gasket will never seal.

Would this actually do anything? I thought PSF flowed in both directions. Does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back