Anyone here own a Chevy Cruze diesel 6 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned a diesel Bug and Jetta, both were automatics. Put a LOT of miles on them and drove them long and hard.

Once they have over 150K on them they both started nickel and diming me to death. Both had a timing belt, which I think I saw the Cruz doesn't, good, that's a start.

I sold them both and bought a 2014 Civic and Accord to replace them (see signature block). Don't regret it one bit! No worries about the wife or kids filing them up with the wrong fuel, smell of diesel fuel, issues with leaking fuel lines and injector pumps failing. Oh, and now I don't have to smell the nasty diesel exhaust.

Seems a lot to deal with just for a little low end torque. Before you pull the trigger, go drive a new Civic with the turbo.

The standard Cruze has a 1.4T gas motor, have you driven it and did you like it? I have a 2014 and like how it drives. A little turbo lag off the line but I can drive all day every day and rarely go over 2500 rpm if I don't want to. Just like the V8 in my Roadmaster as far as the power curve is concerned, just slower. I have had a newer Cruze as a loaner once last winter. It was nice and got better cold start fuel economy than my older one. I don't really like how they look either.

If I were to get a Chevy today, it would be the Malibu. Even a basic LT is nicely equipped, roomy, comfortable and very fuel efficient. I have rented one and had a loaner. It seemed to get within 1 mpg of my Cruze Eco MT.

Did you try the turbo gas version? To me the gas one is sufficient in torque and mileage that I don't see why they bother with the diesel at all?

It all depends on the quality that you are used to in a vehicle. Before taking on my wife's Impala when we got married, I didn't have any GM experience beyond my first car 18 years ago, a 1985 Buick Century. Not much to go off there as it was a beater to begin with. All of my main vehicles up until 2012 were foreign. I was pretty shocked at how many small and large issues we've had to deal with in our 2010 Impala. I've never had to deal with fixing stuff constantly on a vehicle before.

My friend owns a 2013 1.4 turbo powered Cruze. I have driven it multiple times after working on it. It is a nice riding vehicle, I like the driving dynamics. The interior is also pretty nice. However, it has had lots of small issues in it's 75K mile life. Oil leaks, turbo issues (bearing noise, oil leaks) and most recently the transmission started to act up. Look through the Cruze forums, they seem to be hit or miss with some common issues throughout.

If you are used to GM's i'm sure it will be right on par with what you are used to. If you are used to less "nickle and dime" issues, IMO, it will be a headache.

The new Chevy's are nice but I don't think we'd do it again. As a side note, I have the same sour feelings towards Ford... We leased a 2013 Explorer that had weird quality issues too.

Last edited:
in 2018, diesel does not make sense, imo. The risks of high repair bills/emissions problems later on wipe out fuel economy based savings. The cold weather penalty box and high price paid just aren't worth it anymore. haven't driven the 18 diesel but have had 100k seat time in various VW TDI that i loved. Gas turbo performance destroys diesel at a small fuel economy penalty. Loved diesels but never again for a small car type application.

Originally Posted By: dareo
in 2018, diesel does not make sense, imo. The risks of high repair bills/emissions problems later on wipe out fuel economy based savings. The cold weather penalty box and high price paid just aren't worth it anymore. haven't driven the 18 diesel but have had 100k seat time in various VW TDI that i loved. Gas turbo performance destroys diesel at a small fuel economy penalty. Loved diesels but never again for a small car type application.

US builders and buyers put their money on large Diesel engines. If Germany follows through with booting out diesel cars … we could minimize a global source for future small Diesel engine technology …
Some of you may have seen the 745k mile MB diesel I mentioned in the Mobil 1 0w40 thread … that car was traded still running good …

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I test drove a 2018 Chevy Cruze sedan with a 1.6L diesel and a manual transmission. I'm well aware it would cost more to own than a gas
powered Cruze: Cost of the Diesel option, cost of diesel fuel vs 87 octane, urea fluid, higher maintenance cost and potentially higher cost to repair certain things related to it being a diesel i.e the DPF. I really liked the torque of the engine which makes it feel like a small car with a big V6.
The engine puts out more torque and at lower RPM than a Buick Lucerne with a 3800 V6. The only thing holding me back from buying one is it's looks.
The salesman I dealt with said if I don't buy it today, it will be gone tomorrow. That turned me off, but the car was indeed gone the next day. They offered to take $4K off sticker. I would like opinions from anyone here that owns one or opinions from people that don't.

Does this GM vehicle have the quality of your VW ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I test drove a 2018 Chevy Cruze sedan with a 1.6L diesel and a manual transmission. I'm well aware it would cost more to own than a gas
powered Cruze: Cost of the Diesel option, cost of diesel fuel vs 87 octane, urea fluid, higher maintenance cost and potentially higher cost to repair certain things related to it being a diesel i.e the DPF. I really liked the torque of the engine which makes it feel like a small car with a big V6.
The engine puts out more torque and at lower RPM than a Buick Lucerne with a 3800 V6. The only thing holding me back from buying one is it's looks.
The salesman I dealt with said if I don't buy it today, it will be gone tomorrow. That turned me off, but the car was indeed gone the next day. They offered to take $4K off sticker. I would like opinions from anyone here that owns one or opinions from people that don't.

Does this GM vehicle have the quality of your VW ?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back