Anyone here ever have strep throat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had strep as a kid though don't remember much about it. Probably had my tonsils taken out too.

I concur with the people that have posted saying if you improve/revamp your diet and boost your immune system in the process, getting sick will be an uncommon thing. When I was eating lousy and becoming 50 lbs over weight, I was getting sick routinely, especially bronchitis and flu. I had been really healthy as a teen, almost never getting sick. Those days returned after revamping my diet and shedding the weight. For 9 years now, I cannot recall getting truly sick...just a few minor colds. No flu or bronchitis. It's like going back to my teens, 50 yrs ago.

In high school I had a type of strep that cause my throat to ooze blood, causing frequent hacking and coughing. Coughing is very painful with strep throat.

On top of that I had a stomach flu at the same time. Try throwing up through strep throat...agony!

Was out for about a week.

I think what's making mine so bad is I had an ear infection a week before. I've had those [censored] things all my life.

I looked at those low carb diets online just now (I just woke back up) and I pretty much eat that already. I eat a lot of beef and chicken,green vegetables such as spinach,brussels sprouts,and asparagus. I never eat bread. I always use real butter (I buy the whipped butter most of the time). I only use "margarine" type stuff to fry eggs in because it doesn't scortch or stick. I drink lots of milk. I eat a lot of dark fruits such as strawberries,blackberries,and blueberries. I never eat sugar (with the exception of occasional ice cream which I'll only eat a couple of spoonfuls,my current pint has been in the freezer now for over two weeks). I eat a lot of zero added sugar yogurt,I think the one I have in the fridge now only has 5 grams,coming from the fruit that's in it. I drink lot's of unsweet tea and maybe two cups of coffee a day. I drink lots of water.

I NEVER eat candy or sweets,I just can't stand the taste of those things. I detest soda water (Coke,DP,etc) so I never drink that stuff.

Knocking on wood,I never get sick,only the occasional ear infection. This is my first time for strep and it's awful! I am slowly but sure now beginning to feel a little bit better.

Strep throat is indistinguishable from a viral sore throat by appearance. That's why most physicians do a throat swab first. If the throat swab shows Group A Beta Hemolytic Strep you need antibiotics. Regular penecillin works just fine unless you're allergic to it.

It's a very bad idea to not treat a strep throat with antibiotics. You could end up with rheumatic fever (could permanently damage one or more heart valves) or acute post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis (could damage your kidneys).

So, bad sore throat = throat swab, if positive = antibiotics. Throat lozenges alone are not adequate treatment. Gargling with salt water helps to relieve the throat pain but is not a substitute for antibiotics.

They gave me Clarithromycin Friday. They gave me Amoxillin the week before for my ear infection. They told me to stop the Amoxcillin and start the Clarithromycin.

I have a question for you all. The pharmacist told me not to take a multivitamin within two hours of taking the antibiotic. Should I just stop my multivitamin all together until I'm through with the antibiotics? GNC Megamen is what I take daily.

A good thing to note,my tonsils are finally beginning to look better.

I had it 20+ years ago. My Doctor prescribed my Ceclor and told me to gargle with warm salt water. Got better in 5-7 days.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Well,that's me. I'm aching from head to toe,my tonsils look awful and hurt like [censored]! I've been running an on and off fever for the past three days. When I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing fire. The dr put me on antibiotics Friday. When I went to the dr my temperature was 103. How long does this stuff last?
cry.gif

Had it a few times when I was younger. Not fun. Feel better. Get some rest. Neocitran hot lemon drink helped me.
sleep.gif

Most antibiotics will do the job. Examples: Penecillin and its relatives (ampicillin, amoxacillin, cloxacillin), erythromycin and its relatives (clarithromycin), and cephalexin would all be reasonable choices.

On the other hand, the best of all is still penecillin V, which is very safe (unless you happen to be allergic to it) and extremely cheap. For some reason (not known to me anyway) streptococcus has never developed resistance to the original and most basic penecillin.

If it is a strep throat, a few days of antibiotics will eradicate the bacteria. Meanwhile salt water gargles will keep the pain down.

If a few days of antibiotics don't work, it's time to get the results of the throat swab and consider other causes of a severe sore throat.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
OP,

Hopefully your wife doesn't get strep throat.

God I know!! I swear that girl is tough as nails,I've never seen her sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back