Anyone done a UOA on AMSOIL 0W-40 PS oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone actually seen, or done a UOA on AMSOIL 0W-40 PowerSports oil? I searched and could not find anything.

On an ATV site, a member stated that his friend had two UOA's done on the 0W-40 AMSOIL... once after 30 hours, and once after 40. Apparently Blackstone said to change out the oil as soon as possible, as it was not protecting?????

Of course, who knows the "real" story. However, I wonder if anybody here has some results?

LOL... Yea, I'm wondering about the UOA's for the AMSOIL 0W-40 PowerSports oil in an ATV. The guy with the issues with it had a 500 Sportsman ATV.

Ask him to post the analysis. Blackstone's comments range from worthless to good for a laugh as they are for "entertainment use only".

People will say all sorts of garbage about Amsoil. We need the facts.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Ask him to post the analysis. Blackstone's comments range from worthless to good for a laugh as they are for "entertainment use only".

People will say all sorts of garbage about Amsoil. We need the facts.

Yep, I asked if his friend has the numbers or posted them anywhere? Waiting for a response. My guess is that he won't have any.

Still, I'd be curious to know if anyone here has a UOA on the 0W-40. If not, I may have to send some in for analysis.

I guess you are advising NOT to send the oil to Blackstone for analysis. LOL

Thanks Pablo,

That's a shame that the UOA's can't be trusted. Doesn't make sense to do them if you can't be sure the results are accurate.
frown.gif
On the other hand, relying on the manufacturers or their reps is probably not a safe bet... they all say their stuff is the best.

Doesn't leave us with much to go on other than the experience of other users. With that said, I've always had good result with AMSOIL products... guess I'll keep using them.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Detail_Guy
Thanks Pablo,

That's a shame that the UOA's can't be trusted. Doesn't make sense to do them if you can't be sure the results are accurate.
frown.gif
On the other hand, relying on the manufacturers or their reps is probably not a safe bet... they all say their stuff is the best.

Doesn't leave us with much to go on other than the experience of other users. With that said, I've always had good result with AMSOIL products... guess I'll keep using them.
grin2.gif

"...can't be trusted" Maybe that's a bit strong when it comes to the actual numbers. True enough the comments are cheese. But the numbers can be trusted to the extent that:

a) you know a UOA really and truly does not indicate wear levels. A UOA will only show metals actually in solution, and that this may or may not coincide with actual wear levels.

b) a high reading of a contaminant indicates the likelihood of a problem. High K and Na, for example a coolant leak. High Si and Na could perhaps indicate dirt entry, for example.

c) you realize there are systemic errors or rather, margins of errors bracketing every number. So a reading of 20 ppm or, 10 cSt, or whatever should not be taken as a super hard number. A little fuzziness on that, if you please.

This said, nothing wrong with a healthy low "wear" metal or contaminant free $20 UOA on an oil with 10K+ miles!

Thanks Pablo,

Still waiting for that guy to come up with some numbers on those tests. If he posts them, I'll get them up in here.

I can see a comment made like this is if the viscosity was way low? 30-40 hrs in a shared clutch gearbox small crankcase volume is a long time. IMHO 0w40 is spec'd for atvs because of the wide range of temps they possibly might be run in. Think it would be better if they used a summer /winter recommendation than a 1 size fits all universal oil that' more prone to lose viscosity,

Originally Posted By: Detail_Guy
Has anyone actually seen, or done a UOA on AMSOIL 0W-40 PowerSports oil? I searched and could not find anything.

On an ATV site, a member stated that his friend had two UOA's done on the 0W-40 AMSOIL... once after 30 hours, and once after 40. Apparently Blackstone said to change out the oil as soon as possible, as it was not protecting?????

Of course, who knows the "real" story. However, I wonder if anybody here has some results?

30-40 hrs can be a lifetime in an ATV. I seen guys beat the [censored] out of them from the first hour and never stop till something breaks. Those seem to be the rule rather then the exception.

The ATV in question is a Sportsman 500, so the oil is not shared between the engine and CVT... engine only.

I know the guy has read my question, but hasn't responded... only to say that the guy switched to Mobil 1.

My thought is this... if AMSOIL PS oil won't hold up in a quad for 30 hours... no matter how hard it has been ridden... no oil will.

Still, I would like to see the numbers, and get some unbiased, expert opinions.

motorcycles run 5k mi. OCI on synthetic oils, why should a ATV differ to the point of 10x that OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back