Anybody know something about man lifts?

A brand new 12' bakers scaffold from home depot can be had right now for $699 and it has all of the pieces to make working at that height safe. I know that assembling it and climbing up and down would be a pain, but those lifts in your price range are in questionable condition and neither one has the outriggers. I wouldn't get in one of those without the outriggers. Saving a few dollars isn't worth your life.

Like you said, putting it together, climbing up, then down and taking it apart would be a pain. And do it all over again when I have to move it 8 feet to the next bulbs? Nope.

Like you said, putting it together, climbing up, then down and taking it apart would be a pain. And do it all over again when I have to move it 8 feet to the next bulbs? Nope.
Rolling scaffold stair tower. Cheap to buy used, stable, large safe working platform, put it together and roll around till your done then take it apart or roll it over under the heater and leave it. You'd need to go two sections high to reach 16'.

This sort of work is a two person job no matter how you slice it. Even with a man lift (which as people who know about them said is out of your budget) you'll want someone on the ground to pass materials up and down and assist if you fall.

This sort of work is a two person job no matter how you slice it. Even with a man lift (which as people who know about them said is out of your budget) you'll want someone on the ground to pass materials up and down and assist if you fall.
Nope, I can have a couple of bulbs with me on the lift. A second person isn't going to just "hand" you a tool when you are 15' up.

How much does the heaviest piece weigh? I can't imaging lifting a 60 pound floor deck to the top level.
Normal 5x5 scaffolding is 40lbs per end and a platform is 32lbs. I use true 2x12 spruce planks as well and almost prefer them compared to a 17" wide platform piece. It's pretty easy to setup yourself and you can get casters for it. My buddy has mine right now putting up a ceiling, insulation and lights in his shop, and he bought a set of casters for the job. I love it compared to ladders for extended work up high and have even brought the mitre saw up top to do all the board and batten on my dormers on the house which seemed like 400 cuts per dormer, so it was easier just bring a couple dozen boards and battens up and cutting them up there.
You just put everything up you want to bring up on the next level, then climb up yourself, so you can bring anything you can lift on to a 5' shelf.

My ladder is 8' per section so it may reach out 15' max for one thing. And I ain't standing on a shaky ladder that high anyway.
I bet that man lift only weighing 320lbs is going to be sketchy as hell too. Aren't most of those lifts a lot heavier than that for stability?

Normal 5x5 scaffolding is 40lbs per end and a platform is 32lbs. I use true 2x12 spruce planks as well and almost prefer them compared to a 17" wide platform piece. It's pretty easy to setup yourself and you can get casters for it. My buddy has mine right now putting up a ceiling, insulation and lights in his shop, and he bought a set of casters for the job. I love it compared to ladders for extended work up high and have even brought the mitre saw up top to do all the board and batten on my dormers on the house which seemed like 400 cuts per dormer, so it was easier just bring a couple dozen boards and battens up and cutting them up there.
You just put everything up you want to bring up on the next level, then climb up yourself, so you can bring anything you can lift on to a 5' shelf.
OK, scaffolding might be the way to go then. Thought those steel sections might be 60 or 80 pounds but if they are that light, I'll look into it. Now why is this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose...g&qid=1674144986&sprefix=scaff,aps,73&sr=8-35

cost twice as much as what looks identical at Home Depot:

OK, scaffolding might be the way to go then. Thought those steel sections might be 60 or 80 pounds but if they are that light, I'll look into it. Now why is this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Square-Scaffold-Tower-Package/dp/B003LTE2VK/ref=sr_1_35?crid=P1W8B0ZOIJDL&keywords=scaffolding&qid=1674144986&sprefix=scaff,aps,73&sr=8-35

cost twice as much as what looks identical at Home Depot:

I don't see any advantages to that setup, and lots of disadvantages, but I've never used that style before. I guess you could possibly roll it over work benches or something like that, but it looks just as wide on the bottom but you can't get close to walls, and you can't lift a mitre saw up the next level yourself, and you climb up on the outside. Climbing on the inside of the scaffolding is usually what you want to do as its way easier to get on to a platform. Not that your likely to do masonry work but a normal scaffold can hold nearly a ton of bricks as well...
Watch some youtube vids on it, I just took my time and learned some tricks as I went. I've never used casters, I was always on dirt or lawn and just pulled a single section wide by 2 high around carefully with my atv sliding on the feet.

but it looks just as wide on the bottom but you can't get close to walls, and you can't lift a mitre saw up the next level yourself, and you climb up on the outside. Climbing on the inside of the scaffolding is usually what you want to do as its way easier to get on to a platform.
You would position the small end of the scaffold up against the wall if you want to work up close to it. Now sure why I would use a mitre saw on the scaffold instead of on the ground. How would you climb up on the inside when the work platform is there? Isn't that why you climb up on the outside and step around on to the platform?

Sorry if I missed it, but we're only talking 16ft ceilings. A 12ft a-frame step ladder should be able to safely suffice.

Sorry if I missed it, but we're only talking 16ft ceilings. A 12ft a-frame step ladder should be able to safely suffice.
So I'd have to be standing on nearly the top step 11 feet off the ground and with both hands in the air installing the bulbs? Oh *ell no.

Your arms are zero inches long and you're 5 feet tall?
No, you don't work DIRECTLY under a light fixture to replace the bulb. You reach OUT to it so you can actually see what you're doing. Not a secure position to be in 5 feet off the ground, letalone 11 feet. People here freak out if you mention having different brands of tires on the right and left side of your car, or patching a nail in a tire sidewall, yet I find using ladders this way much more dangerous.

No, you don't work DIRECTLY under a light fixture to replace the bulb. You reach OUT to it so you can actually see what you're doing. Not a secure position to be in 5 feet off the ground, letalone 11 feet. People here freak out if you mention having different brands of tires on the right and left side of your car, or patching a nail in a tire sidewall, yet I find using ladders this way much more dangerous.
I'm with you. Just trying to get a better picture. The biggest A-frame step ladder I use at work is 20ft. We have 12footers and some horrifically long/heavy/bulky fiberglass extension ladders as well that we use regularly. They do take two dudes to setup. I'm not strong enough. The A-frames are very sturdy to be on.

The main reason for a 5x5 or 5x7staging platform is that for 2 heights you have a a 'dance hall" to work from instead of a ladder. About 1976, Dad wanted to erect a 20' tall pole for a tent my mother had sewn up. He bought 4 sections of 5x7 mason's staging complete with casters and levelers. My brother is presently using a 1 high pipe with casters from it and I have the rest waiting for spring to finish re-staining the house.

This is what I have and it's extremely versatile. I never take it down because it doubles as shelving/storage when I'm not using it.

Extremely stable even when the top platform is positioned at the very top, granted I haven't tried that without the outriggers. I've gone 3/4 of the way up without them and I find it stable enough, and not having the outriggers allows you to get right beside walls. This thing was invaluable when I did the roof of my shop building. I haven't measured, but the top platform goes up high enough that I'd have to lay down to fit underneath my 12' ceiling (at the eaves).

Putting it up / disassembling can be done with one person but it's a challenge. Goes up / down in minutes if you have two people. Easy lifting, nothing about it weighs much until it's fully put together.

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpg
    IMG_4360.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 9
It’s on wheels. So why would it need to be taken apart?

To store it is one thing. If your LEDs are lifetime, but your gas heater will need service once in a while, not a big deal.

I’d rather stand on that $699 scaffold than any one man lift, or a sufficiently high ladder. Especially if doing something of consequence, beyond 1/4 turn bulbs.

Back