Anybody have experience in unions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been in a Union (Professionals Association) since 1995.
Their position for engineers has always been that strikes are a Conscience vote, and they will support you either way you swing, and that position has been respected by the Trades Unions.

Am exactly in the middle of what fdcg27 is describing, having never picked up the phone in 23 years.

Unions are almost powerless (and moneyless) here now, which has influenced politics because one major party was supported and funded by unions. We now have an Employment Contract, which of course is employer biased - ''You don't agree with our terms ? NEXT !'' Not often a worker is so needed they can stipulate terms. I have done at times, and in my last round there were 4 employers offering their terms, but I still couldn't have it all my own way.

In the '50's, '60's and '70's they were all powerfull, and almost controlled the country with stikes, they needed their teeth pulled, but I think they have gone too far, they were a political watchdog those in power had to be careful of. I have only been a member of the union a couple of times when I worked for large companies...and when I wasn't a member took full advantage of all the benifits they had won for me, something my mother would lecture me on.

I've seen the good and the bad. I've seen padding jobs by requiring a member of the Operating Engineers operate the elevators when a building was under construction. I've seen various trades fight over which union gets the work when some job involves something like both electrical and carpentry work. I also recall they were trying to say that the Electricians had to install the computer gear we were putting into the data center while it was under construction. Made a fair bit of money off of that one as they had never worked with SBus cards, and broke a good number of them, ensuring the sale rep got to sell replacements to the contractor.

But I've also seen where they take care of their workers, have a good team ethic, and have met some really salt of the earth men and women who would give you the shirt off their back if you truly needed it. People get mentored and trained and protected in the workplace.

Like anything else, it is as good as the people running the show.

King John was forced to sign the Magna Carta awhile back...
I am a programmer in Silicon Valley; not to much union stuff here.
They pay me ONLY because there is a demand for what I can do.
Trust me; it ain't for my looks...

I am all for unions. We did not have child labor laws until the 1940's, I believe.
If you get up and go to work in the morning, I think you should earn a decent wage.
Yes, unions have gone too far in many cases.
Some are better than others.
Not too many left like in the 60's and earlier.
President Reagan killed 'em off; you know who benefited from that, now don't you?

But if you think employers will pay you 1 stinkin' cent more than they have too, you are sadly mistaken.

One more thing...
People blame union workers for lousy cars. Well, it ain't the workers who design the cars and manage the businesses...
You are thinking about engineers and management.

Last edited:
I have been working for a Japanese car plant in KY for almost 25 years. I have several friends that work for a truck plant here that advise me to not vote for a union. It has never done anything for them except take their money and protect the lazy and "hurt". Sure, they make a little more per hour, but my bonuses are bigger than theirs, I get more time off, and I can retire before them. I work with several people that used to work for a union company and they say never again, it's a lot better without.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: cven
20 years in... I wish I'd never signed up. No sick time ,vacation, pension in the hole, scabby coworkers, on and on.

Last year we "got" a $1.50 raise.....on our check we ended up with 1 cent! Sheet metal workers....LOL!

Why no sick time or vacation if your labor contract states ___ hours of PTO earned per week / paycheck / quarter ???

We have no sick time, vacation, paid holidays in the contract. Now those folks we pay to represent us do very well for themselves.

I have 6 weeks vacation, 4 weeks sick pay, 1 week personal business, 14 paid holidays and I’m non union.

Sounds like you folks are getting shafted and paying union dues for nothing.... except a kick on your [censored].

I have 6 weeks vacation, 4 weeks sick pay, 1 week personal business, 14 paid holidays and I’m non union.

Sounds like you folks are getting shafted and paying union dues for nothing.... except a kick on your [censored].

So what's the power of the average schmuck (not the BITOG millionaires who are so clever and thrifty) to demand the same ?

Any hints on how to go about it ?

Very easy. There’s tons of jobs out there with great benefits, easy to research this info online.

Very well stated
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back