Anybody ever been SUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sued in small claims court for medical bills stemming from a vehicle accident. I won the case because the person suing me waited 2 months after the accident to seek treatment and they only went to a chiropractor. They had no actual medical diagnosis that the chiropractor was needed, the judge actually said that chiropractors are not considered medical doctors and therefore cannot provide expert medical testimony or proper diagnosis. They were suing for $10,000, the maximum in California, which my insurance would have paid.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: CKN

All it takes is for an attorney to run a asset report and the wheels would be set in motion.

Anybody who owns a million dollar house-which is almost a default if you live in California., New York, etc., you should have an umbrella policy.

Can that asset report reveal everything? Including one's personal financial situation?

In most states owners of Real Estate/ Real Estate tax records are public. That's what I was referring to.

I am ex-Southern Californian. It's public record there. You can find out who owns what real estate-and even how much is owed on that piece of property. So yea-if you own a million dollar house (due to appreciation) and you owe $100,000.00 on it-and you have an at fault accident-expect (in many cases) to be sued.

Last edited:

All it takes is for an attorney to run a asset report and the wheels would be set in motion.

Anybody who owns a million dollar house-which is almost a default if you live in California., New York, etc., you should have an umbrella policy.

Can that asset report reveal everything? Including one's personal financial situation?

In most states owners of Real Estate/ Real Estate tax records are public. That's what I was referring to.

I am ex-Southern Californian. It's public record there. You can find out who owns what real estate-and even how much is owed on that piece of property. So yea-if you own a million dollar house (due to appreciation) and you owe $100,000.00 on it-and you have an at fault accident-expect (in many cases) to be sued.

That's why people put properties in a trust or LLC. Most public figures do that. The mortgages are recorded with the loan amount, but you don't actually find out what the interest rate is so you'd have to guess at the loan balance.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Reading your commets and i am glad to live in Finland. You can be sued if you do someting on purpose, but noting near like US.
If i drive over somebody my car insure will pay for her/him hospital bill and i will get a fine.

Same thing happens here.....then you will be sued.

But i wont be sued. You cant get rich by sueing sombodey in Finland. We dont need to worry about that.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Reading your commets and i am glad to live in Finland. You can be sued if you do someting on purpose, but noting near like US.
If i drive over somebody my car insure will pay for her/him hospital bill and i will get a fine.

But if you're the person who got run over, you won't be glad you're living in Finland...

Because you will not have recourse against the person that hurt you.

what recourse? Finland will pay you if you cant go to work after a injury

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But if you're the person who got run over, you won't be glad you're living in Finland...

Because you will not have recourse against the person that hurt you.

When you guys get the tort reform that everyone wants, you won't get anything anyway.

Doctor can leave a tray of tools in you, and all he has to do is get them out.

In a motor vehicle accident, regardless of how innocent you are, the requirement is to make you whole, no pain/suffering, or punitive stuff...as a workmate found out after a motorcycle accident, when the paramedics state that they are going to cut your armoured trousers off "is that OK", as you gave consent, THEY aren't even a part of the claim.

I've been sued several times and get threatened with it frequently. I'm a principal in a large middle school. It is par for the course. I've not lost any yet, though.

Multiple times, from silly stuff like defamation, to mundane stuff like property disputes / takings.

If you all do is drive back and forth to an employer, it's not something I would worry much about. If you are active in the stream of commerce, then these things happen, you just deal with it.

I know the law of my state quite well I think, but I have a couple of simple rules I try to follow: when in doubt, do what's right ( courtesy of H. Truman ), and don't bite off what you cannot swallow.

That's definitely scary stuff and all personal information, if anyone can find out how much one can owe, that's definitely scary.

My parents were sued by our old neighbors when they were horseback riding on the property and she fell..

They had asked several times to go riding, but dad always said no. They did it anyways..

They won in quart. ~1 year later he asked to borrow my dad's tractor.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My parents were sued by our old neighbors when they were horseback riding on the property and she fell..

They had asked several times to go riding, but dad always said no. They did it anyways..

But who paid the settlement?

How on earth can it be your parents fault?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I was sued in small claims court for medical bills stemming from a vehicle accident. I won the case because the person suing me waited 2 months after the accident to seek treatment and they only went to a chiropractor. They had no actual medical diagnosis that the chiropractor was needed, the judge actually said that chiropractors are not considered medical doctors and therefore cannot provide expert medical testimony or proper diagnosis. They were suing for $10,000, the maximum in California, which my insurance would have paid.

Why wasn't it handled by the insurance in the first place ?

How on earth can it be your parents fault?

Only in merica, the law of karma will get the shady ones sooner or later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Why wasn't it handled by the insurance in the first place ?

He was given a very fair offer from them and he countered demanding over $100,000. Then he disappeared for a long time and filed the lawsuit 2 days before the statute of limitations expired.

Last edited:
My mother and I were sued by the state of Texas to claim property that my grandmother left behind when she passed under MERP. It was for 160k that she owed to Medicaid. I won, cost me $100 for some paperwork.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

But who paid the settlement?

The 'rents insurance.

Holy smokes. Look how I spell court! Been hanging around here too long!

Last edited:
I have a close friend and neighbor. He was launching a double trailer with two Waverunners on it. His pickup would not go into gear to pull out from the boat ramp. His friend crawled under the running truck and worked on the auto trans levers under the pickup. It went into reverse driving over him and killing him instantly.

The dead man's wife sued my friend for the exact amount of his liability insurance and the insurance company settled for that amount out of court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back