Any Volvo Owners, need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my step dad's car a 2007 S60 is getting the famous code P2111 Throttle Actuator and speed reduction message.
The car has 80K so we decided to just clean the throttle body, never been done before. I used the following steps:
1. Open hood, fan off, radio off
2. Open trunk and close the latch to put the light off and any module
3. wait 15 minutes with time before removing the ground cable at battery, all modules out to be close
4. Proceeded to remove and clean throttle
5. Connect ground cable and car started fine.

Car run fine for 5 days no message or any codes, on the 6 day the code and message return as previously.
I read some where where it might be a good idea to remove the ECU and reset it. I bought the tool and went to local U-pull to practice the removal did this on 2 cars and knew it was hard but not bad.

I follow the same steps as above except that ECU removal was much, much harder than the one's at U-pull. I had to remove the ECU for the transmission too.

When I attempted to start the car it acted like the battery was low or the immobilizer got activated but not sure

Do you notice any problems with what I did or any advice is welcome.

Best bet is to look/post on a specific Volvo forum. Used to run into all sorts of odd things with my S40 and now don't have a Volvo.

Did you let the car do the throttle relearn? When I had my 04 S60R I would do it occasionally. You put the key to run for 30 seconds to a minute and you can hear the throttle motor moving and resetting.

Could be a bad tps in the throttle body, try the relearn again after you clear faults and see if it makes it longer than 6 days.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Did you let the car do the throttle relearn? When I had my 04 S60R I would do it occasionally. You put the key to run for 30 seconds to a minute and you can hear the throttle motor moving and resetting.

I would try this (first that I've heard of it, but sounds reasonable). Nothing wrong with what you did, LazyDog, I don't think you caused anything. Usually a cleaning works. I've not heard of resetting the ECU. I don't think I would bother.

If that doesn't work, you really need a VIDA/Dice setup. Volvo's proprietary software with interface. A good Indy will have it. So will some Volvo nuts....like me...

With VIDA, you do a throttle module sweep/test and it will tell you if you've got a dead spot in the actuator and/or TPS.

Without that test, any diagnosis is a guess. For your model year, the throttle module is very reliable. My wife's XC has over 240,000 miles on the original unit. Some years, 1999-2001, the Marelli Throttle Modules didn't last long.

Because your car is not in those trouble years, and because it doesn't have many miles on it, I would want the diagnosis before guessing about parts.

If you do need one, I would go with a rebuild from www.xemodex.com - I've used them for several services, including on a 2001throttle module. They do excellent work.

You might try surfing Matthew's Volvo site. Pretty active Volvo forum. I'm certain that this has been discussed there.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Astro

The info you get from VIDA is similar to the info I get from Techstream for my Toyota (Lexus).
Priceless info that'll save you time and $$ with your diagnosis.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
How much did you pay for your VIDA set up??

Thanks for all the great replies.

Vida complex for your vehicle, if you don't want to buy the equipment and subscription from Volvo, consist of usually Chinese clones 0f 2014D version. It consists of a DICE unit that you plug into your OBD2 with the car running and then into a computer on which you have installed the VIDA 2014D program. It is easiest to install on Windows 7. Most people buy these units from eBay or AliExpress and the best ones run around 100 USD, although you can find them on eBay for around 80 USD. They can be "hit and miss" in terms of quality and functionality. Amazon sells them too and the one I bought from Amazon is dependable with full functionality. Installing the 2014D VIDA software can be a little tricky. It will tell you everything about your car and allow you to reset faults as well as adjust certain things.

On my 2005 XC90 2.5T, I used this cheap throttle body for an intermittent 'Reduced Engine Power' message. I cannot remember the code that was set; sometimes it started and ran ok and other times it had reduced power. It acted as if it was doing a self-test at key-on and then if it passed was ok for that drive cycle and if failed then was reduced engine power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R3Z34M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it was $89 a year ago, but appears to be out of stock right now Car has 10K miles on the new throttle body so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back