Any of you folks Military Veterans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gentlemen, and how many of you folks; whether English, Canadian, Austrailian, U.S.A. and such are active military and or are military veterans? My grandfather that I never got to meet(moms side and he died of massive stroke on July 4 1976 while working on highway projects in 60's-70's) was a WWII serving/served with Gen. Patton. My uncle on real dads side was in Vietnam from 1964-1970. My father was'nt able to go to military as he had flat feet. My uncle that I mentioned above told me about Vietnam it was a war the U.S.A. could never win. My cousin that would now if he were alive, be 1 yr older than my brother who is 37. He was killed in Iraq in a supposed "cleared mine field", he stepped on one. He was EOD Army.

looking forward to hearing from our veterans here,

adam

"My uncle that I mentioned above told me about Vietnam it was a war the U.S.A. could never win"

The way we fought the war in Vietnam, we didn't have any chance to win.

From Viet Cong point of view, they can not loose. They were willing to fight until last one die.

True, very true. I also am a NAVY veteran, did 4 yrs. So when did that wacko POL POT come into play?

I guess I should preface this with the statement that I have not served, which is the greatest regret of my life, but thought I would share about my family's past and current service.

Both grandfathers served in WWII. One was drafted and became a waist gunner on a B-24 over Europe. His pilot wrote a book, which gave me a fascinating look at his time in the Army, although my grandfather was only mentioned once in a list of the crew, as he was an enlisted man and therefore did not mingle with the officer pilot, and was in one or two of the crew photos. He didn't talk very much about his service and I regret not being able to talk to him about it before he passed a few years ago. One thing he told my father during Vietnam is that if he (my father) got drafted, it was his duty to go, but if he wanted to enlist that he should first finish college and go into the officer corps. My father was not drafted and did not enlist. My grandfather said that in war men see things that they should never have to see (a thought that causes my heart to wrench) but he was no pacifist and understood that war is at times necessary. That has done a lot to shape my view of war and world events.

My mother's father served in the Navy around the time of WWII, but I don't think he saw much action. He doesn't really talk about his time in the service either.

My father-in-law served in the Air Force, as did his father. My wife's brother is active duty Air Force (he says, "If you want to serve your country, join the Army; if you want a job, join the Air Force!") and was deployed to Afghanistan for about 18 months; her sister's husband is active duty Marines, spent some time in Afghanistan, and is currently deployed to who knows where (he works in intelligence, so he is often "not at liberty to discuss" such specifics).

I have the utmost respect for those who have served or are currently serving. As I stated earlier, I, however, have not served, which is my greatest regret in life.

Thanks guys for the replies and to you sm00thpapa for your service! My grandfather told my brother and I about war's and such; "some gave all, but all gave some". Funny, that is the POW/MIA flag saying right?

adam

At least 3rd generation Army in my family. Grandfather served in WW2, my father in Vietnam. I served during Desert Storm, but was not sent into combat.
First plane I flew in I also parachuted from at Ft Benning, GA.

Too all of you who have served and to those of you currently serving, THANK YOU!
34.gif
11.gif

United States Navy Veteran former Petty Officer First Class.

Joined June 17, 1999
Voluntary separated April 28, 2011.

I have been around the world at least 3 times and would trade serving in Afghanistan over a ship any time.

For me; 26 years total (17 of them Active, the rest Reserve) USN.

Some family history too. My 4xgreat grandfather (mom's side of the family) fought at Gettysburg, 101st Pennsylvania. I have the sword that his men gave him on 01 August 1863, when he was promoted to Captain after that battle. My great Uncle was Merchant Marine during WW II...had a ship sunk under him by a Uboat in the Atlantic. .

On my Dad's side, there were a few who fought in the Confederate Navy, and my Grandfather was US Army for a while. So was my father and his older brother. His other brother was USAF as was my brother, though none of them made a career of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back