Any long term experience with Red Line Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info everyone...the feedback is greatly appreciated. I normally run a 5 - 7500 OCI. A few years back when I tried Mobil 1 0w40, I had Dyson run a few oil analysis, the engine sheared down the oil, and there was some fuel dilution, so I try to change slightly early.

Right now, Im happy with the Red Line 10W30 and am using the 5w30 in my wifes BMW. Engine seems to rev better, very quiet, and slightly better gas milage.

I don't mind paying a little more for this oil, since I can order and have shipped direct. Too many issues finding GC and finding mobile 1 0w40 when I need it is hit or miss.

Im glad everyone has had great real world results, any issues with emissions control? Everyone seems scared to run this oil since it is not certified, or on any approved list

Again, thanks everyone

A couple of guys beat on my drum over the factory warranty issue, and Red Line's REFUSAL to acquire an API cert. It seems to be that an SM rating is a step back in performance. I use and very much like Red Line; care nothing about its cost; and still do a short OCI. I wasted my money on being married; buying RL isn't!
banana2.gif

If you look at the thread below or a few members rlk and hemi395 for sure as they have both done long term uoa's, but others as well, suggests the worst ua when using redline is the first in high wear hemi's, then the wear numbers go exponentially lower. Whether it is the extra aw additives or esters leaching out metal ions, we don't know, but even when they use other oils for shorter intervals even PUP that is known for low wear numbers, the redline numbers were much better after the first use of redline. At least this is holding true for hemi's, there seams to be a real benefit in this particular application why it is earning the name hemi honey. People say redline is overkill in most applications, and I agree with that 100%, but when you say "most" applications that does mean that there are "some" applications where redline would shine, and no doubt with many users hemi would fit into that group. These engines are finicky lubrication wise and the cams are starved at idle and poor quality parts, this oil will make a difference in this application. Long Term uoa's with many oils shown plus the killing of hemi tick at a large rate, just continues to prove redline or presumably oils with stouter additive packages do make a difference in certain applications.

thread

Originally Posted by SHAMUS
A couple of guys beat on my drum over the factory warranty issue, and Red Line's REFUSAL to acquire an API cert. It seems to be that an SM rating is a step back in performance. I use and very much like Red Line; care nothing about its cost; and still do a short OCI. I wasted my money on being married; buying RL isn't!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by simple_gifts

Just the regular PCMO?

They don't make a "regular" PCMO. lol.

I know this is an old thread and will probably be locked due to the resurrection of it. (Why were resurrecting a 10 year old thread IDK)

BUT

Pretty sure Redline sold out awhile back.
They still have their non API stuff,
But they now offer the "Professional Series" which IS API certified.

Originally Posted by burla
Long Term uoa's with many oils shown plus the killing of hemi tick at a large rate, just continues to prove redline or presumably oils with stouter additive packages do make a difference in certain applications.

It may kill the Hemi tick but you don't choose oils by UOA.

Originally Posted by Garak
Long Term uoa's with many oils shown plus the killing of hemi tick at a large rate, just continues to prove redline or presumably oils with stouter additive packages do make a difference in certain applications.

That guy just makes zero sense. Last month he was bashing Mobil One because it doesn't hold a single Chrysler cert then advocates using a oil with no certs.

lol I never bashed m1, it is always been one of my favorite oils and most used my myself. Do you fo anything besides attack people?

Originally Posted by Garak

the intent of the thread was asking about long term redline use, so the fact that is has killed hemi tick in many engines 6 plus years, in mine 8 plus years, and that many guys run uoa's and it is proven to have very low wear numbers would be useful inofrmation? I mean what else you want? Take the trouble to look up those uoa's, it is eye opening imo. Prior to this I never thought of redline as a low wear oil, but at least in the hemi it is, when talking about long term use.

Whether or not they show good UOA numbers is really something that wouldn't concern me. You do not choose lubricant effectiveness by UOA assuming you're using a viscosity suitable for the application. If I were to use Red Line, I'd choose a viscosity suitable for my application and usage pattern and go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back