Any Ghost Stories?

Somebody has one, please share.

My first experience (probably in my head) was growing up in Exira, Iowa. 14 years old in 1972. There was an unsolved murder one block away from my house. After that, a classmates family rented the house. I was in the bedroom, where it supposedly happened. He left the room and things got looking misty, and I felt a cold breeze. I got out of there quickly!

I also toured this place, worked in Malvern 12 years. Creeped me out. Used to could rent it overnight. Friend of mine wanted me to spend the night with her there-no way! Heard a door close in another room, that we had just left, nobody in there.

Another place local place that I have toured. (in daytime hours) No way would I spend a night there. Bad enough jibes in the day.

I had one “ghost” story (more like clouds and cubes of light…long story) in my life before I got my current job. I’m a retired federal agent and now a campus cop. It’s a very enjoyable sort of fun job for me and a few co-workers who are at the same stage of life.

There’s some very old buildings on campus and besides those there’s still more buildings with ghost stories.

Unexplained paranormal-type happenings are now so common in my life that I hardly notice or get bothered. All over the insides of the older buildings there are frequent voices out of thin air, shadows darting around corners, items moved or doors closed right before your eyes, etc. I was warned about it but didn’t believe it— I sure do now!

I have a co-worker who had one experience that scared him so badly he won’t re-enter that building alone for any reason. It’s the most extreme I’ve heard, although fairly simple. He walked through a room that had a wall of file cabinets in order to make sure a door at the end of the room was locked. When he initially entered the room, all the file cabinets were closed. He approached the door at the back of the room, checked the lock, turned around, and found the top drawer of every file cabinet was open. There was no sound heard behind him, and the time it takes to turn around is only about two or three seconds. There’s no way anybody snuck in and silently opened all those drawers in two or three seconds. This is a young guy who usually doesn’t react intensely to any situation. The look on his face and neck following that event appeared like he was having a major cardiac issue. He was absolutely pale as a dead person, and unable to speak for a while. I do not believe he was acting or faking it. In my 30+ years of law enforcement and emergency medical services, I would say that he appeared to be so scared that he was about to drop dead.

Edit to add: Guess I should share my most shocking story from work. It was all of ten seconds long but still the most extreme thing I’ve witnessed here.

I was at one of the satellite buildings with one of the senior officers. He was showing me around as I hadn’t been there before. We were in a wing of a building that wasn’t being used. It wasn’t decrepit, it was well-maintained, just not being used at the time. Not even a very old place, built in the 1960s.

We went through a door at the end of a hall and into another hall. There was a secretary reception type desk in front of us as we entered the hall. Five feet in front of us, something happened that’s difficult to even describe. It appeared as though a three-dimensional “snake” made of solid flat black material with fuzzy edges slithered around the desk, about a foot off the floor. It was floating in mid-air and not touching the floor nor the desk. It moved slowly as if it didn’t realize we were there or didn’t feel the need to get away from us. It was visible for about one full second and there was nothing there when we checked. Both my co-worker and I were speechless for about five seconds before we began the inevitable frantic dialogue, “did you see that? What the heck?” No idea what it was and nobody else has reported seeing anything like that.

Last edited:
Years ago, my died died in his sleep. If you have ever heard the song "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers, that was him........anyway.......

He had made some bad choices and we had to move to an apartment complex, a nice one, but apts nonetheless. It had a community grill, which we were the only ones to use, and a nice pool, from which my friends and I basically lived everyday........

We would grill out all the time, meaning 3-4 times a week, we ate a bunch of steak. For a teenager, I bet I had more time on a grill than anyone my age......it was a staple, as was the pool.

A common site would be me at one of those spots, and my dad going out the check on me and hang out.

Within view of both spots, grill and pool, was "Angie and Lucy". They were hispanic, sisters, nice neighbors......different story NSF BITOG. They would yell out their window at me and my dad, "Cat calling". mostly just for fun, mostly, at the grill and walking toward the pool, almost like clockwork.

I mentioned in the beginning that my dad died in his sleep. He died a drinker and smokers death, atherosclerosis...........

Before he passed, Angie and Lucy had left, I think for a cruise. I had ran away from home about 2 months prior, to live with my girlfriend. He had no idea where I was.

When visiting the apartment, where my uncle also lived, to gather his things and visit with friends, I saw Angie up in the window, doing her normal cat call. She asked me "what was going on?"............of course my answer was "my dad had died".

She said "whatever", she told me to come up to her apt......so I did. When I affirmed that that was true, that in fact my dad had died, HER FACE GOT WHITE, ghost white.

The immediate change in her face prompted me to ask: "What?" She replied:

"We got back in town last night. Late, like 1am. We forgot to take out the trash before we left, and the apt smelled really bad, so I went to open the window..........when I did, I saw your dad, by the grill. Without me speaking, he looked up at me and asked if I had seen you!.........I told him no, and he started walking toward the pool. I asked him if everything was ok, and he did not answer. It seemed weird to me that he was out there so late, I never would have thought that he passed."

He had died 4 days earlier.

Somebody has one, please share.

My first experience (probably in my head) was growing up in Exira, Iowa. 14 years old in 1972. There was an unsolved murder one block away from my house. After that, a classmates family rented the house. I was in the bedroom, where it supposedly happened. He left the room and things got looking misty, and I felt a cold breeze. I got out of there quickly!

I also toured this place, worked in Malvern 12 years. Creeped me out. Used to could rent it overnight. Friend of mine wanted me to spend the night with her there-no way! Heard a door close in another room, that we had just left, nobody in there.

Another place local place that I have toured. (in daytime hours) No way would I spend a night there. Bad enough jibes in the day.
I worked at a hotel for a number of years. I went on vacation and when I came back I was told one of the housekeepers had died, (at her home not the hotel.) Two of my co-workers swore up and down that they saw her at the end of the hallway one night. They had a look that they weren't kidding.

Two of my co-workers swore up and down that they saw her at the end of the hallway one night.
Why are all the ghost reportings or sightings always at night? They are ghosts, not vampires. Is it just to make it seem more spooky? People will more likely believe in that stuff when it's cloaked in darkness? I would just once like to see one of those ghost hunter shows search for ghosts during the daytime. But it probably wouldn't draw in many viewers.

A business associate had a bedroom that was haunted. Every single night something would move the corner of his dresser out several inches. He never saw anything except the dresser being moved away. After months of moving the dresser back he just left it pushed out and all was ok.

Years ago I knew a contractor who was working in an old vacant house on the water front in Baltimore. The building in the past was used as a jail or detention place for drunken seamen. While working there alone he heard chains rattling and people stomping up the steps. He was so scared that he quit working there never to return.

I don’t believe in ghosts but my house in LA had several unexplainable events occur.
The wife and i watched a set of car keys slide off a counter onto the floor in broad daylight. No wind, magnets, kids, or pranksters we were alone. They "slid" off from the center of the table, the was no underside to the counter so nothing under it could have caused it.

The dogs would occasionally seem to track something in an area that we could just catch movement out of the corner of our eyes. The wife described it as appearing as though something was transiting from one place to another.
There was no interaction with this phenomena, no fear or fright involved, just weird.

Last edited:
I'm not a supernatural kind of guy. I don't watch those kind of shows. But about 29 years ago, I moved from Utah to South Carolina for a job. When we first got there, we hadn't bought a home yet, so we rented a big, old house, just a couple blocks from the old historic downtown where the old slave market still stands to this day. At the time, I would guess the house dated back to very late 1800's or very early 1900's. It was a big house, with big pocket doors that could be closed to separate the formal guest room, the living room, and dining room, or be left open for one huge room.

There were two stair cases going upstairs, one from the front hallway and the other from the rear entry / mud room. Upstairs there was three bedrooms, each connected with closet rooms in the corners, so you could walk from the upstairs hallway into a bedroom, go from one bedroom to the other, and then come out of the last bedroom, back onto the hallway. We set our four boy's bedrooms up in these three upstairs bedrooms. Each night I would go upstairs and make sure the boys were all tucked in, and ready for bed.

Each night, after coming back downstairs from tucking the boys in, I would sit on the couch in the living room with my wife, and we would reflect on the day before going to bed. One more than one occasion, just shortly after sitting down with my wife, we would hear footsteps upstairs, sounding like someone was walking the hallway. Suspecting that one of the boys had got out of bed for some reason, I would go back upstairs, go from bedroom to bedroom and find all our sons still tucked in bed. I would ask them if one of them had been up for some reason, and all four said no.

These experiences never left either me or my wife with a creepy feeling. But it definitely changed our perspective on spirits that, for one reason or another, had not fully passed on. So yea, I believe in ghosts.

Everyone thinks I’m crazy and my parents tell me I’m full of crap and I’m sure you guys here will too but I swear I met the ghost of D.B. Cooper shortly after me and my friend started researching him. I was in my back yard with the dog really late a few years ago (2020 maybe) I think. Late night like 1am and I started feeling chills and just seen this white glow appear with someone who looked kinda like the FBI sketch of him who was talking to me and telling me he respected us keeping his legacy alive and went into every detail exactly as the flight attendant described and said I can’t tell you my real name but I can tell you the drawing is a close resemblance to me in my Middle Ages just I touched myself up with some makeup then and I’m not anybody who they suspect. And I can tell you I originally survived the jump and died just a few years ago and the money is in a safe somewhere very far away from here. And said he bought his tie at a JcPenney store in McLean Virginia in 1964 and that’s the last time he was in Virginia until then. And then said in a quiet voice about how the guy who packed his parachutes had been murdered coincidentally. I asked back how some of the money got near the water to which he said that’s a story for a different day. Then it just disappeared into the shadows. I know it sounds made up but I think my dog felt something too. We darted inside after that. I’ve always kinda believed in spirits but that’s the worst encounter I’ve had with one lol. My parents are like you are just imagining what you read and you need to get help if you keep hallucinating like that.

Sounds like a made up story or dream I know but I swear it’s true. He was very polite but I felt creeped out. I’ve always kinda believed in spirits I think that can confirm the belief enough for me. And you don’t have to believe me but I swear that’s a true thing that happened. I’m terrified of being outside at night and always have been.

Were they hearing floors creaking or doors slamming? :eek:
I am not sure.
But of course deaf-mutes are going to have sensory skills beyond normal.
They did seem to agree with each other.
LOL.
What a perfect storm of circumstances.
The lease agreement was no longer the prevailing issue.

My grandmother would recall when she was young and still living in Ireland how when visiting a home where the daughter had just started having her 'monthly' that plates and cups would fling themselves off shelves for no reason or action.

What intrigues me is why there are ghosts, I accept this issue but the why the spirits are stuck here is the question.

Ghosts do ghosty things i guess. I've never met one but sometimes it feels like there's people around, when there isn't.

Also BHopkins I've done plenty of sneaking around the house at night that i didn't tell my parents about. Sometimes just saying it wasn't me is easier to explain than why I went to get stuff out of my car at 11 pm (i forgot food in there)

I Spec a bone ghost right at daylight

IMG_1855.jpeg

My aunt used to be a winter caretaker at a summer resort island off the coast of Maine. The place was bedrock, there was no way to run water pipes that wouldn't freeze in the winter. Think of "The Shining", lol.

The place had a centralized farmhouse they ran the island services out of and it was on its own well (full of Montezuma's Revenge, but that's another story.) She lived there. Her presence counted as "security" for insurance reasons. So myself, my cousins, and a few other rowdy people went out for a several-day New Years party. Of course all the houses had their main breakers tripped to reduce the risk of electrical fires. We went with her on her daily "patrol" which basically meant unlocking houses and removing chirping smoke detectors, removing their dead batteries, and leaving the units in an obvious place so the owners would know to reset them. We did this to a particularly fashionable house with a cool 3-story round tower full of windows, checked the rest of the place out, and re-secured it.

Midnight of New Years came around and we went down to a beach nearby to ring in the new year, and noticed green light in the tower, along with an almost humanoid shape rocking in a rocking chair on the top floor! Naturally we stormed over there with flashlights to investigate, found no people, but a linen closet was open with the blankets in disarray. They weren't like that earlier.

Ok, cool, prankster, trespasser, squatter. We were spun up and went back to the farmhouse to tell ghost stories because why not, and a photo of a freakin' church jumped off its nail on the wall and crashed to the ground!

That place was fun. Saw more UFOs there than anywhere else too.

I have not had any supernatural experiences that involve apparitions, sounds, or spooky, or inexplicable manifestations of any kind. I saw one aerial phenomenon 20 years ago that I have been unable to explain with even currently known technology.

However, I do believe in premonition. I would call it a sixth sense that has not yet been explained. A close relative with whom I had not been in contact for months had a sudden medical emergency. In the days leading up to this event, I felt increasingly restless and "off." The day the emergency occurred I had a deep feeling of dread and terror - a proverbial dark cloud looming. Years later I had another terrible night and day. I was again restless while also feeling a sense of extreme despair. This was completely atypical for me as I was not prone to having moods and I was not prone to depression. That afternoon I received word that my relative had died as the result of a lengthy panic attack that caused a fatal heart attack. I cannot ascribe those two events to mere coincidence.

I have also had premonitions about encountering danger which has helped me avoid some close calls. In these scenarios was no slow buildup of premonition but it was merely spontaneous intuition. I do believe there is a very good chance these "intuitions" are the result of the computer between my brain evaluating unconsciously perceived data and honking an internal alarm.

“I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus… besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am” and tosses his gun into his suitcase.
-Indian Jones

Ghosts do ghosty things i guess. I've never met one but sometimes it feels like there's people around, when there isn't.

Also BHopkins I've done plenty of sneaking around the house at night that i didn't tell my parents about. Sometimes just saying it wasn't me is easier to explain than why I went to get stuff out of my car at 11 pm (i forgot food in there)
Totally understand. But I always started going upstairs before the footsteps stopped, thinking that I would find one of my boys in the bathroom, or at the very least, just crawling back into bed. Never happened. No one just pulling the cover back up or getting situated.

Back