Anti theft measures for new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy a hand held powerful key finder and replacer. You can interrogate the key inside your house, get the codes off it, then send those codes to a transmitter right by the car, and unlock and start the car. In your house is not safe. The keys need to be in metal container.
Even in a restaurant, they can find your key, get the code right out of your pocket, then unlock your car in the parking lot.
This is why I drive old [censored] not worth stealing. Well, that is the excuse anyway.

Rod

When aftermarket alarms first came out … painful. A V10 Ram drives by and the alarm blows nonstop, etc

Have a look at the newer/smarter systems that have a light "warning" feature that tells the thief he better find a softer target. This way you don't have to dumb down sensitivity.
They also have a master fob with more feedback (like telling you I'm in warning stage, grab the Ruger) and a dumber version as a backup to reset etc since the little battery will drain faster in the master version

Last edited:
visible length of chain to massive padlock, like locking a bike?

If someone wants it, and really wants it, they will scope it out prior and decide if yours is the one and what they need to get it. Anything we do can have a workaround, from electronic theft, to brute force, to flatbed.

Keep your insurance good, minimize the risks, find out what the theft patterns are in your area, and don't worry too much about it.

-m

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by billt460
Speaking of anti theft devices. It would be interesting to know just how the newer vehicles are standing up statistically, as far as having a lower percentage of theft, per say on average out of each 100,000 vehicles sold. When compared to models from the 80's and 90's. If they in fact are. One would think so, but sometimes in certain parts of the country it can be surprising. Thieves can get as creative as automotive designers.

Back in the 1980's before chips were put in the keys and other technology to prevent thefts, just on my one block alone in NYC 1-2 cars per week were being stolen. All that had to be done after gaining entry with a slim jim was to break the ignition lock, push the exposed starting linkage and away you go.

I think what happened to slow those thefts down before the chips started to become common was the law of supply and demand. So many cars were being brought to chop shops that the price paid probably dropped to a hundred bucks or so on common cars. Probably not worth the risk of jail time for the reward.

My Camaro had a chip key...all I can say is don't lose it! Ugh...

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
if you buy a club get the air bag shield, this makes it much more difficult to cut the steering wheel

without this the club is useless

https://www.amazon.com/SHL-704-Airbag-Steering-Shield/dp/B000AMOENW

Well since you're going to do that..why not just put a boot on your ride?...‚

I've heard of people who are in repo booting both a front and back tire...or they get their neighbors to wedge them in.

Last edited:
This Facebook page, can its info be checked? Wondering if it's fake news.

Regardless. This is what insurance is for. Keep it locked, make sure nothing of value is on the seat. Someone wants to steal it, so be it. Can worry about only just so many things; odds are, not every vehicle on your block is going to be stolen this year nor over the next 5.

Most thieves are only interested in what's in the car. Some might go after the wheels/tires and the cats. In my area, Tacomas and Priuses are ransacked for cats. Thieves don't steal aftermarket radios anymore - they break in and look for phones/tablets and laptops. Anything a pawn shop can sell.

Don't leave anything important or valuable in your car. I've been lucky leaving a phone in the car a few times but still.

Originally Posted by nthach

Don't leave anything important or valuable in your car. I've been lucky leaving a phone in the car a few times but still.

That's what happened to my car and a buddy's wife's car... they ignored the installed stuff. Just took whatever I suppose they could fit in pockets/backpack and gone. Maybe what, 10~30sec at most??

Depending where the fuse panels are located, you might find the fuel pump or ignition fuse (or both) and pull one (or both). Steering wheel club is good as a visual deterrent. The trick is to make yours less vulnerable than other targets and simple measures can be very effective. But of course, if a thief really wants your truck, they will eventually get it. That's where the insurance will help
smile.gif

Not saying something bad couldn't happen, but where I've lived for the past 60 years I have the bad habit of not locking my car, and just leaving the ignition key on the floor. Of course that is only if there is nothing in the car someone wants. I'm still betting on the way it should be, and not worry about all of the bad people out there, which is the way it should be. If I saw a thousand dollars laying on the front seat of somebody's unlocked car, I would probably just lock it for them if I couldn't contact them, or somebody. I've even turned off headlight on cars that were accidently left on.

Last edited:
I think the suggestion to not leave valuables in the car makes perfect sense.
Beyond that, modern anti-theft stuff along with a tracking device is all I can think of.

Except a Pitt...

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I etched the VIN Number on all my windows.
Bought the kit on E-Bay.

Should prevent anyone from stealing and reusing the Windows.

I think those are worthless - breaking a window is a thief's main point of entry unless they happen to be carrying a inflatable wedge and a coat handle to manipulate the lock buttons. Some cars like pre-2010s Subarus have frameless windows that make it easier to slip a tool through.

There isn't a market for glass, even at junkyards although OEM glass is far superior to the cheap Chinese crystal sold these days. At least you didn't get taken to the cleaners at the dealership for window etching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back