Another thread repair question. Male threads….

JHZR2

Staff member
Specialty bolt, still available from Mercedes for around $60.

IMG_4546.jpeg
IMG_4547.jpeg
IMG_4548.jpeg

Won’t thread into the second still good captive but very far.

IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg

Not that I forced the matter. Are the threads repairable with a good nut or an actual quality chaser?

You can start with a thread comb then run the die over it. Thread combs are basically files that happen to share your thread pitch. They also make split dies that start off a little loose but have an allen screw you tighten to bring things together.

Yeah I'd run a die over it and move on.

Yes, the die will remove material that's in the way. No, the world will likely not end

You can get a chaser, It won't hog out good metal used for the thread to hold! It should just shape the damaged threads.

It’s holding the control arm onto the car. Those threads are buggered right where it engages with the nut.

I’d be fine with chasing the threads and smoothing them out, if the engagement took place at a different spot on the bolt.

But with the damage you show, even after chasing them, you’re going to have significantly reduced thread engagement right where it matters on a structurally significant part.

I would replace that bolt.

You can start with a thread comb then run the die over it. Thread combs are basically files that happen to share your thread pitch. They also make split dies that start off a little loose but have an allen screw you tighten to bring things together.
X 2 but they're called Thread Chasers.

I'm sure that the OP can reform the threads on the bolt but it's missing a lot of material and I don't know how much load it's under or if the missing material will weaken it too much.

I have to agree with Astro14. That bolt appears to be a structural component and I’d err on the side of caution with that. It more than likely would work after cleaning it up, but I don’t like to cheap out on anything that looks like it could effect safety in any way.

How many threads remain exposed once installed? It may be possible to source a longer nut like heavy hex or coupling.

But realistically, OP said they're available for $60. Just cough up the $60 and write it off as the cost of owning what equates to cult vehicles in the States

Get the specs for the bolt and then head over to www.mcmaster.com to find a replacement.
For a flange head bolt with a custom radiused fender washer incorporated? I'd be shocked.

I was gonna suggest facing off the existing hex head and thru-drill the fender washer for reuse, then get the appropriate metric fastener to slip thru the washer (as the exact radius would be difficult to replicate). But IIRC OP has limited fab ability or access to machine tools, so just buy a new one for $60

You can get a chaser, It won't hog out good metal used for the thread to hold! It should just shape the damaged threads.
I like these but I don't know if you can still buy them new. These won't remove any metal they just push it back where it should be. One nice thing about these is that each "stick" has 8 different threads on it so three sticks will cover about 98% of all commonly found threads.

If you’re looking to save a few $$ on this, @JHZR2 - Measure the bolt carefully (looks like a 12mm?) and then head over to www.belmetric.com to get a flanged bolt of exactly the same diameter and length.

Cut this one in half at the shank and pull it out. Re-use the washer with a new bolt.

Might have to expand the hole, just a touch, to fit the threaded portion through. Which is why you want the flanged bolt - to spread the load over the slightly enlarged hole in the washer.

I’ve replaced several “captured washer” bolts on European cars - they come with a new bolt, and new washer. They don’t come like that one, with the washer fitted inside the threads. So, a new bolt with the old washer will be fine.

Last edited:
If I didn't have the $60 or needed it to go to work in the morning, I'd double nut it after cleaning up the threads and probably forget about it.
You can’t double nut this. This is the access…he can barely get the square nut back in there…

Back