Another thick/thin article to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh ... it references GF-3 several times. Not really "current" commentary.
More than a decade of great UOAs from a bazillion oil changes would negate his implication that thinner oils are an issue.

I’ll start the quotes off with the last line;

The best oil for your vehicle depends on your driving habits, the age of your engine and the climate you drive in, but it is not necessarily the type of oil specified in the owner’s manual or stamped on the dipstick.

This should be taken into consideration if you plan to keep your vehicle for 200 or 300k miles and beyond. For cars on lease, or perpetual car traders this matters very little. There are four cars in our fleet (home fleet) that I have no intention to ever part with. Things change, but my modus operandi is to care for these cars as if they will be passed down to my kids when I go. I’m 36 years old. Hopefully that’s a long time.

The ‘69 Torino that I now own was bought by my father, with my grandfather as the co-signer in 1971. We keep cars for a while.

Heh heh Guy is preaching to my choir. Running 0w20 gives me the willies. For exactly the reasons
stated. There is no margin of viscosity for stuff to happen. and stuff does happen.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
An older article to be sure, but very thought provoking.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

It is somewhat outdated (Jul 2003), but still lots of valid points.

Even back then they said:
"Ford is bumping up against its CAFE requirements and recommends SAE 5W-20 oil for most of its engines in the United States. It claims SAE 5W-20 is optimal for fuel efficiency and wear.

To determine if SAE 5W-20 oils provide the same level of protection as SAE 5W-30 oils, Dagenham Motors in England, one of the largest Ford dealers in Europe, was consulted. SAE 5W-30 is required for warranty purposes in England, and SAE 5W-20 is not even available. If SAE 5W-20 were better for both fuel economy and wear, why would Ford not recommend it for its same engines in Europe?"

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s Friday night and time for another thick vs thin thread. Yawn.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Ford has been specifying 5w20 for 15 years. Get over it.

Easy there fellas! There have been several threads discussing this and most members enjoy them; check the title - it's sparking discussion not sparking attacks. If you don't want to discuss an article, and the thoughts/concepts in that article and only seek to express your disdain about the thread, then don't post.

Ok, how about this. If 0w20 bothers someone, use 5w30. I’m thinking after 15 years, there is no significant numbers of failures of Ford engines due to using 0w20 oil. If anyone has data counter to that, let’s see it.

Disclosure: the poster of this note is currently running 5w30 for the summer in his Taurus.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I’m thinking after 15 years, there is no significant numbers of failures of Ford engines due to using 0w20 oil. If anyone has data counter to that, let’s see it.

Do a Google search for Coyote BBQ Tick. Some claim using 5W30 or thicker makes it go away. And many Ford owners have had engines replaced or the vehicle bought back from Ford because of the issue. Totally oil related? Maybe not, but Ford doesn't use 5W20 in countries outside the US and seems those owners don't seem to get the ticking issue.

The difference in wear in an engine with 20 or 30 weight is marginal. Most of these Ford owners think it's great that their car reached 200K with no problems. And most are sold off before that. For those of us fast approaching 300K and planning to keep our cars much longer, it's significant.

I've read this article many times. Yes, it's old but a lot of what he says is realevant and not outdated.

Considering this article discusses GF3 oils, the discussion is outdated.

GF3 might be outdated, but the discussion is not.

I'm talking about the ideas contained in this article, not the specific qualifications or designations.

Got anything positive to contribute?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I’m thinking after 15 years, there is no significant numbers of failures of Ford engines due to using 0w20 oil. If anyone has data counter to that, let’s see it.

Do a Google search for Coyote BBQ Tick. Some claim using 5W30 or thicker makes it go away. And many Ford owners have had engines replaced or the vehicle bought back from Ford because of the issue. Totally oil related? Maybe not, but Ford doesn't use 5W20 in countries outside the US and seems those owners don't seem to get the ticking issue.

I've heard about the F150 engine in question, slight tick at 60k or so, and with thicker oils in the sump it was indeed quieter. Several threads on here with F150 questions/discussion.

It seems the thick vs thin debate will continue until we're all in electric vehicles. I recall Shannow posted a chart, created by Honda, showing a graph of average engine stress in different countries. The US was quite a bit lower stress on the chart, so I'd agree that perhaps a 0w20 is adequate for mom's grocery getter that's short tripped around town. But the story is different for an F150 (or 250) that's worked hard.

I just thought that the article was interesting, and could provoke some thoughtful commentary. Maybe when parts of the US other than the Pacific NW wake up and post, we'll see that.

Almost done. Oil specification for 2018 Ford Mustang with 5.0 engine with right hand drive for sale in UK

WSS-M2C9488 - 5W20

Australia Mustangs spec 5W30.

2018 UK Mustang OM also shows
WSS-M2C913-D, which is a full synthetic 5W30 oil spec.

That WSS Ford spec for 5W20 isn't the same as the Ford spec in the US for 5W20.

OK, current and relevant.

GM spec DEXOS2 for GDI engines in Oz, and Dexos1 in the US.

GM claim that warranty will be void if you use Dexos1 in these engines...

I’m out. Not going to participate in a mindless bicker.

....and leaves with another negative comment. Your bickering is the only mindless part of this thread. What the heck man until now I had you pegged as reasonable and intelligent.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

GF3 might be outdated, but the discussion is not.

I'm talking about the ideas contained in this article, not the specific qualifications or designations.

Got anything positive to contribute?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I've heard about the F150 engine in question, slight tick at 60k or so, and with thicker oils in the sump it was indeed quieter. Several threads on here with F150 questions/discussion.

It seems the thick vs thin debate will continue until we're all in electric vehicles. I recall Shannow posted a chart, created by Honda, showing a graph of average engine stress in different countries. The US was quite a bit lower stress on the chart, so I'd agree that perhaps a 0w20 is adequate for mom's grocery getter that's short tripped around town. But the story is different for an F150 (or 250) that's worked hard.

Yep and that 5.0 right hand drive Mustang for the UK probably won’t be worked hard either. That’s why Ford is only spec’ing 5-20 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back