Another filter magnet topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point does one need to worry about messing with the bypass valve in a filter??
In all seriousness.
looking to put this on the end of my drain plug.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DCE = 36lbs of pulling force

4-6 of these around the center sides of the spin on filter:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY042SH = 10lbs each

Is this a concern? am I jumping off the deep end here?

I have read a few threads and it has been discussed however at what point is the cut off?
I cant seem to find any information on pulling force of the name brand "filtermag"

I think you may have gone off the deep end a little.

Remember the filter media will get most particles in the oil metal or just crud.

The only filter magnet I would consider is the one that goes between the filter and the filter mount and the oil is forced right by it.

You could try it on a cut filter and see what happens.

If you're really worried, you could get a Gold Plug or similar magnetic drain plug, gives you the magnet you need without that concern.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you may have gone off the deep end a little.

Remember the filter media will get most particles in the oil metal or just crud.

The only filter magnet I would consider is the one that goes between the filter and the filter mount and the oil is forced right by it.

I havent seen this yet? Ill google it and see what shows up? What is this known as? Ie filtermag??...

If you have that much metal in your oil you feel you need magnets to collect it then you already have a serious engine problem . Let the oil filter do it's intended job and forget the hooey with using magnets .

The force field has to be the best out there. I am using one of these though, as i got it cheap before i knew better.

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Putting magnets on the filter can will catch particles and should reduce particle count in UOA.

The problem with the FilterMag is that it will catch everything going by the dirty side of the filter, including stuff that the filter might have caught. The force field only catches what the filter left behind, the best idea IMO.

Drain plug magnets shouldn't catch too much, because it will only catch what settles in that area, not whats flowing through the system.

I have seen enough FilterMag equipped filters cut open to know that its pulling something ferrous out of the oil and keeping it away from my bearings, so its a good thing.

How many miles have you run your highest mileage engine? Did you wear out the bearings? All of this stuff is unnecessary overkill. (Sorry, Overkill)

Originally Posted By: HellaBroke
At what point does one need to worry about messing with the bypass valve looking to put this on the end of my drain plug.

Be careful. Max temp of this one is 176F. When magnets get too hot, they lose their magnetism. Bad idea for something you're counting on staying attached to the end of the drain plug.

I think its a great Idea and use a couple on my talon. I have one bigger one on my pan, and drain plug. The magnets catch sub micron steal particals the filter will pass threw. It cant hurt but keep the magnets tapped on so they dont move around.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

The problem with the FilterMag is that it will catch everything going by the dirty side of the filter, including stuff that the filter might have caught.

Why is that a problem?

No way am I paying $50+ for that junk when a hard drive mag will work just fine. reduce/reuse/recycle

I also have a magnetic drain plug which does catch a dusting of fine particles. Paid $6.29 at Baxter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The problem with the FilterMag is that it will catch everything going by the dirty side of the filter, including stuff that the filter might have caught.

Why is that a problem?

If your cutting open your filter with the FilterMag and you see all that junk on the canister you might think that would have damaged your engine, but its hard to tel how much it would have really trapped if the filter had been given a chance to catch it first.

I guess its not really a problem but it could be misleading if your cutting open the filter inspecting the ferrous contamination.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Originally Posted By: HellaBroke
At what point does one need to worry about messing with the bypass valve looking to put this on the end of my drain plug.

Be careful. Max temp of this one is 176F. When magnets get too hot, they lose their magnetism. Bad idea for something you're counting on staying attached to the end of the drain plug.

Yes this is true, you want a higher grade magnet that can resists the temperatures of around 200F.

Chart here.

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/magnetgrades.aspx

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why is that a problem?

If your cutting open your filter with the FilterMag and you see all that junk on the canister you might think that would have damaged your engine, but its hard to tel how much it would have really trapped if the filter had been given a chance to catch it first.

I guess its not really a problem but it could be misleading if your cutting open the filter inspecting the ferrous contamination.

I doubt the oil filter would catch much of the super fine black ferrous metal particles that get caught by the magnet. I think those particles are super small, like 5 microns or so. A filter might catch some, but only a small percentage.

I like that spin on filtermag..
primarily because it adds at least 1/2" of clearance so I can put a larger filter on my '12 Fusion 2.5L!
I could easily fit the 51068 on vs. the 51516.

I couldn't find anywhere that said the spin on filtermag is cleanable or not!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back