another electronics issue with whirlpool front loader

girlfriends similar newer model only lasted 6 yrs $500 for new control board, only a load weekly! mine an older one just croaked after 16 yrs but only a load weekly!! newer front loaders are $$$$ so i opted to KISS keep it simple stupid, a cheaper top loader with few electronics.

girlfriends similar newer model only lasted 6 yrs $500 for new control board, only a load weekly! mine an older one just croaked after 16 yrs but only a load weekly!! newer front loaders are $$$$ so i opted to KISS keep it simple stupid, a cheaper top loader with few electronics.
I wish I knew how Europeans manage to keep their FL's running. Rumor is they don't have the same failure rate.

Sounds like our Maytag DCT. The board apparently gets condensation on it and then fritzes out. One site said when you get a new one, to slather it with the silicone non-conductive gel or whatever it is to keep it waterproof.

Absolutely not! My mother runs BOSCH for the last 20 years. Before that, she ran Slovenian Gorenje for probably 30 years. SHe is 73, and changed two washing machines in her life.
Yup, my old German buddy (RIP) had a stacking Bosch (made in Germany) pair that he bought in I believe the late 80's. They were still going when he passed away a few years ago.

Absolutely not! My mother runs BOSCH for the last 20 years. Before that, she ran Slovenian Gorenje for probably 30 years. SHe is 73, and changed two washing machines in her life.
Miele tried to bring the FL to the US and they had to pull out. Something about the large capacity washers demanded of American buyers made it too difficult to maintain the level of quality. This was around 2015. They may sell smaller FL washers in the US

Miele tried to bring the FL to the US and they had to pull out. Something about the large capacity washers demanded of American buyers made it too difficult to maintain the level of quality. This was around 2015. They may sell smaller FL washers in the US
My wife is a prime example. SHe strictly wants 5 cu ft.

I do use a surge protector for the washer (and gas dryer)
I do as well, actually on any appliance I can.
Including refrigerator, kitchen exhaust hood, sink grinder. Plus of course every electronic in the house.
I never checked if there is a 220 surge sold for our electric dryer and it drives me nuts there is nothing I can put on my oven with crazy amount of electronics as well as built in second microwave/convection.
I guess I could do a whole house to step it up one level and I do want an external waterproof outdoor for our heat pump.

I think I will buy a service contract for my new GE washer & dryer before the one year warranty expires. Not a real fan of service contracts but maybe in the case of a washer & dryer with lots of electronics it's warranted.

Just casually looking around it looks like electronic washers have surge suppressors built in them already. One mfgr calls theirs a noise filter; it has additional components to help with line noise.
That said, I don’t live in an area with frequent high and low voltage spikes.

I'm looking at replacing mine with a low efficiency prosumer/commercial Maytag or Speed Queen top loader. Old school with mechanical dials, and the drum fills up all the way with water.

My current Maytag Bravos is rusting, going into unbalanced load correction more often, and is just getting noisier. With the right model number code, I can get a five year warranty on the Maytag.

Last edited:
In the past I would never get a service contract.....BUT with the way stuff is being made today and the cost to fix it...I would think about getting one...

I'm looking at replacing mine with a low efficiency prosumer/commercial Maytag or Speed Queen top loader. Old school with mechanical dials, and the drum fills up all the way with water.

My current Maytag Bravos is rusting, going into unbalanced load correction more often, and is just getting noisier. With the right model number code, I can get a five year warranty on the Maytag.
See thus URL. It looks like Maytag washers have a 10 year (parts), 5 year P+L warranty.

Just casually looking around it looks like electronic washers have surge suppressors built in them already. One mfgr calls theirs a noise filter; it has additional components to help with line noise.
That said, I don’t live in an area with frequent high and low voltage spikes.
I would agree that many (or all?) appliances have some sort of protection including the power supplies of electronics.
For me, Im still crazy as almost a hobby having most everything on a surge suppressor, inexpensively will beef up whatever is already there.
I have so many it would be a task to count them all. *LOL* An example would be the desktop Mac I am typing on right now. Critical stuff like this I have many. My desk set up has a plug in surge, plugged into the wall plug in surge is a commercial Belkin power strip surge, which all power cords are plugged into but then the most critical of all I have the Mac mini plugged into a small Tripplite surge suppressor that is plugged into the Belkin Power strip surge that is plugged into the wall surge.:)
Now multiply that by two for my wife's desktop Mac on the other side of the room. Also in that room is another plug in surge suppressor that has all our low voltage stuff plugged into like chargers ect but plugged into that is also our laser jet printer and I have another small tripplite plugged into that and the laser printer into that.

Much of the home network the same way, I even have the garage door lift plugged into one on the ceiling.

I always wondered about one thing, I guess it's something no one else wondered about, cant find one comment about it on the whole internet. I always wondered with all these suppressors plugged in if they would help branch circuits or devices with no surge suppressors suppress spikes too. After all a whole house suppressor in a breaker box is considered effective, so I can only assume suppressors plugged into branch circuits are an extension of the breaker box and must or might afford some protection to other branch circuits
(yes I think too much)

I do have a wall mounted mid to upper tier Sony TV where it's not as possible to put multiple suppressors and for that one I have a dual outlet, plug in wall, Tripplite Isobar surge. (really heavy duty, comes in alum case I think too)
Part of the suppressor thing is also for line noise filtering and get the very best performance, whether its the internet network or TV .
COme to think of it, the only devices without a surge in our home are the HVAC and Dryer. I know I will most likely put a weather proof surge on the outdoor unit which should I assume cover the fan in the evaporator in the attic as well. *LOL*
Ohh no, I dont have on on the dishwasher .. oops, yes I do ;)

Last edited:
I would agree that many (or all?) appliances have some sort of protection including the power supplies of electronics.
For me, Im still crazy as almost a hobby having most everything on a surge suppressor, inexpensively will beef up whatever is already there.
I have so many it would be a task to count them all. *LOL* An example would be the desktop Mac I am typing on right now. Critical stuff like this I have many. My desk set up has a plug in surge, plugged into the wall plug in surge is a commercial Belkin power strip surge, which all power cords are plugged into but then the most critical of all I have the Mac mini plugged into a small Tripplite surge suppressor that is plugged into the Belkin Power strip surge that is plugged into the wall surge.:)
Now multiply that by two for my wife's desktop Mac on the other side of the room. Also in that room is another plug in surge suppressor that has all our low voltage stuff plugged into like chargers ect but plugged into that is also our laser jet printer and I have another small tripplite plugged into that and the laser printer into that.

Much of the home network the same way, I even have the garage door lift plugged into one on the ceiling.

I always wondered about one thing, I guess it's something no one else wondered about, cant find one comment about it on the whole internet. I always wondered with all these suppressors plugged in if they would help branch circuits or devices with no surge suppressors suppress spikes too. After all a whole house suppressor in a breaker box is considered effective, so I can only assume suppressors plugged into branch circuits are an extension of the breaker box and must or might afford some protection to other branch circuits
(yes I think too much)

I do have a wall mounted mid to upper tier Sony TV where it's not as possible to put multiple suppressors and for that one I have a dual outlet, plug in wall, Tripplite Isobar surge. (really heavy duty, comes in alum case I think too)
Part of the suppressor thing is also for line noise filtering and get the very best performance, whether its the internet network or TV .
COme to think of it, the only devices without a surge in our home are the HVAC and Dryer. I know I will most likely put a weather proof surge on the outdoor unit which should I assume cover the fan in the evaporator in the attic as well. *LOL*
Ohh no, I dont have on on the dishwasher .. oops, yes I do ;)
The thing is suppressors don't help with small spikes or brown-outs which can be hard on power supplies. That's why I have everything I can on line-interactive UPS's, all being APC Smart-UPS models.

The thing is suppressors don't help with small spikes or brown-outs which can be hard on power supplies. That's why I have everything I can on line-interactive UPS's, all being APC Smart-UPS models.
Agree, up until the move to the new house. I did have my network equipment on a cyber power battery back up and ironically one for our bed so we didn’t lose the settings as it was an air adjustable mattress.lol

I am aware clamping voltage on a lot of surge suppressor’s are 600 V and some really cheap ones could be higher than that, the iso bar on my our more expensive Sony is 300 V clamping.
I got lazy with the network as after we moved to the new house when I plugged it in it started beeping that the battery was no good. I still have one good one but even that I haven’t gotten around to doing anything with yet.
Anyway, yes, the way you do things does the absolute good way to do things. for me what I’m doing here is better than nothing.
I’ve been in the house with stray voltage from a lightning strike where I heard static jumping around the house. And being I used to do security systems in South Carolina. I’ve seen a lot of blown out appliances, and also some saving effects when people had surge suppresses on certain pieces of equipment.
That is not to say which I’m sure you will agree surge suppressor is not going to help a nearby lightning strike of any magnitude it’s really impossible.
But I do think it helps prevent electronic circuits from prematurely wearing out.
Go to say use, the word helps, that could be like into conventional oil or synthetic LOL

Back