Annoyed with Comcast

I have a 200 Mb Comcast business class internet for a church camp in CT. Was paying $100 a month. I am sure we get ripped off because we are a business (non profit) rather than individual. We have our own modem and a spare that can be swapped in if primary one fails.

The renewal of our contract to get a discount requires us to rent a Comcast modem. They say it's because they now provide an extra level of crypto security with their modem vs a normal cable modem. I say BS.

I have a Unifi Security Pro router firewall which I believe provides better firewall protection than anything Comcast will provide.

I have FIOS at home and they do not charge me for the ONT. They just supply it.

These rentals of $20 a month for a $75 device are a screw job if you ask me.

we have moved away from a couple big name companies in the last couple years... CenturyLink for internet, DirectTV for television. Both times they called begging us to come back offering better deals and promotional items. My wife was like you should have tried harder to keep us before we left, this is just making us confirm our decision... We now use a local company for Fiber internet and Hulu for TV. I am satisfied and so is my wallet!

Is there another option in your area? Competition helps keep companies competitive

just my $0.02

we have moved away from a couple big name companies in the last couple years... CenturyLink for internet, DirectTV for television. Both times they called begging us to come back offering better deals and promotional items. My wife was like you should have tried harder to keep us before we left, this is just making us confirm our decision... We now use a local company for Fiber internet and Hulu for TV. I am satisfied and so is my wallet!

Is there another option in your area? Competition helps keep companies competitive

just my $0.02

The local phone company is Frontier. They are not providing high speed yet. I think some other company bought them and they are moving towards fiber. They have a lot of old copper wiring on the church camp telephone poles. None of it being used, a lot of it sagging and looking like it may fall to the ground.

This is the list of bring your own modems you can use:
If you need to buy one I'd suggest the SB8200 it's very well reviewed, and 3.1 will be more important in the future.
Yes. I have a approved modem currently. If you want to get a discount by signing up for a contract you must rent their cable modem. It's cheaper than having your own modem and paying monthly. But more than I was paying. My old contract terms are no longer available.

They probably have some shenanigans with their modems like throttling thoughput under high neighborhood usage or maybe just spying on you better.

Unless you have a choice of providers (many of us don't) just pay the price.

Starlink.....

It's a game-changer for rural Internet
Yeah but I am not so sure anymore.
$100 a month for service Starlink giving you 100 to 200 Mbps and $600 equipment cost that you install.
Not only that but if you have a business it maybe an inconvenience however rare (or not so rare) if your internet goes down intermittently when you get storms and if you go for their premium tier you are looking at spending thousands to get going.

If I was the OP I would check T-Mobile Small Business internet out before signing anything with Comcast.
NO costs involved except monthly fee. No contracts and NO price increase after the first year. Only takes seconds to find out if it is available to him.

---
You could also try Verizon Business internet though with Verizon the price is almost silly or the same or worse than Comcast.
5g-business-internet

____
Im surprised ? That many do not know all the options for internet, granted some of the options are new though. One might also check to see it ATT is offering business or home internet in their area.

I mean ... some day, at least for residential homes, landline internet might be as popular as landline telephones are today. Non-existence *LOL*

Last edited:
Can you re-sign with Comcast, taking their modem and then return it after the first month?. I recently returned my Comcast residential modem and bought my own modem and router to save the $13/month fee and to get better router performance. My bill went down and my internet performance went up.

Comcast came and installed the new modem. But it's not just a modem it's a modem & WIFI router in one. I have an expensive Unifi Security Pro gateway (firewall & router) and many access points. All I wanted was a cable modem. So I am stuck with their router and an unneeded layer of encapsulation. At least their WIFI is turned off.

I see a letter to the President of Comcast coming from me soon.

Comcast came and installed the new modem. But it's not just a modem it's a modem & WIFI router in one. I have an expensive Unifi Security Pro gateway (firewall & router) and many access points. All I wanted was a cable modem. So I am stuck with their router and an unneeded layer of encapsulation. At least their WIFI is turned off.

Have you considered buying your own modem?
I have myself in the past, this way I am in control of what equipment is in my home.
I quickly looked up Best Buy for Comcast, but one would confirm on their website as I did with Spectrum equipment for myself.

Last edited:
Have you considered buying your own modem?
I have myself in the past, this way I am in control of what equipment is in my home.
I quickly looked up Best Buy for Comcast, but one would confirm on their website as I did with Spectrum equipment for myself.

I have an approved Comcast modem and have been using it for 2 or 3 years. Worked fine. But contract ended price went up by 50%. Call to negotiate a new contract and was told all new contracts require me to use and rent a Comcast modem. Being a non-profit we are considered a business, so we have a business class contract rather than a residential.

They should be able to put the router in bridge mode and allow your Unify firewall to manage IPs.

Wife canceled DIRECTV yesterday, monthly bill was always creeping up, she finally had enough, no amount of DIRECTV deals could sway her. :LOL: (y)

Wife canceled DIRECTV yesterday, monthly bill was always creeping up, she finally had enough, no amount of DIRECTV deals could sway her. :LOL: (y)
I did that a few years ago.

Prices of streaming services are creeping up also. And the ones with live TV like Hulu-Live are over $60, and still commercials.

I had C*mc*ap internet and tv when i first moved into my new home and let me tell you it was a pile of **** then and after being in someone's home with it recently it still is. Att is much better. Not perfect but not utterly horrible.

Back