amsoil to rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that rotella is supposed to be real good in machines...I have a honda 250ex...I currently run amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil...I'm considering switching...any advice?

Amsoil 10w-40 is probably one of the best motorcycle oils out there. Rotella isn't any better, but it is cheaper. However, Rotella may not last as long in service as Amsoil before your clutch starts slipping. So, depending on how often you plan on changing your oil, the switch to Rotella may or may not make financial sense.

For example, I only put on about 2-2.5K miles a season on my Vulcan and change the oil/filter once a year. Rotella T (mineral) handles such short interval without a problem, so that's what I'm using. Paying for expensive Amsoil and dumping it at the same interval would be like putting lipstick on a pig, alas, we all do what helps us sleep better at night. Some of us treat our toys better than we treat our wives.
smile.gif

Hmmm...don't metion clutch problems please!! I just replaced the clutch due to the prev. Owner running friction modified oil. What a pain in the @$$! Lol I ride every day and I can be a bit hard on it sometimes (I forget its only a 250 lol) it can be pounded at times so I'm probably gonna stick with amsoil I was just interested in gatering some facts on the subject. Btw I'm considering 0w40 for winter. Any opinions?

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
I've heard that rotella is supposed to be real good in machines...I have a honda 250ex...I currently run amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil...I'm considering switching...any advice?

eek.gif
Don't do it!
sick.gif

Rotella 5w40 is approved for motorcycles. JASO: DH2, MA
I use it currently in four bikes. And have used it in other bikes in the past. Never any engine or clutch problem. Easily available and inexpensive.

Quattro Pete Quote: LOL
smile.gif

"Paying for expensive Amsoil and dumping it at the same interval would be like putting lipstick on a pig, alas, we all do what helps us sleep better at night. Some of us treat our toys better than we treat our wives."

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

eek.gif
Don't do it!
sick.gif

Is it that bad?

eek.gif
Don't do it!
sick.gif

Is it that bad?

It is not "bad" at all and will save you quite a bit of $$$. If you have to have a synthetic, then use Rotella T-6. The full line of Rotella is (like others have said) JASO rated and thus you will have zero issues with your wet clutch. I run it in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 that is an oil shredder and it handles the task just fine. I see no need to run something as expensive as Amsoil for the short OCIs that are usually happening on a MC. Just my
49.gif

eek.gif
Don't do it!
sick.gif

Is it that bad?

No, but I like the fact that Amsoil will last longer, specifically made for 4 stroke motorcycle engines and has an additive that fogs the upper end during storage. Mine holds 2.5 quarts and I change every other year.

eek.gif
Don't do it!
sick.gif

Is it that bad?

No, but I like the fact that Amsoil will last longer, specifically made for 4 stroke motorcycle engines and has an additive that fogs the upper end during storage. Mine holds 2.5 quarts and I change every other year.
mine holds 1.5 I change it every 5-6 weeks. And it dosent get storage. I'm not worried about "anti rust additives" and stuff like that. Even with my 2 strokes when I used dominatior I was warned. But people don't understand that I ride every day. Even in the winter the longst they ever sit is a week.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Amsoil 10w-40 is probably one of the best motorcycle oils out there. Rotella isn't any better, but it is cheaper. However, Rotella may not last as long in service as Amsoil before your clutch starts slipping. So, depending on how often you plan on changing your oil, the switch to Rotella may or may not make financial sense.

sums it up well..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Have to agree...I also have a brute Force 750 and FX is right on the money; those V-Teins shred oil. Summer time I change my oil pretty rapidly so Rotella T is good for me. Fall/Winter I'm going T-6 (full synt). After seeing the reuslts of FX analysis I'm probably going to stick with T-6 year round.

Check out FX posting on the T-6 ... maybe run a OCI and get an analysis and see what you get for results. Best way IMHO.
sums it up well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back