Amsoil SSO 0W30, 7,988 mi, Subaru Forester turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA by Oil Analyzers Inc.

Driving conditions: 7 mile daily trips; driving on the beach; several days of 100F+ temps (including one week vacation in SC in June with heavy load); towed a guesstimated 1,400 pounds 200 miles to Rhode Island in Sep; no mods but spirited driving.
19.gif

OEM turbo was replaced (with another OEM turbo) 50 miles into OCI due to excessive oil getting past the seals.

My last Blackstone uoa using GC is here . The last Blackstone GC uoa numbers are also below on the right.

Comments: Base number is below acceptable minimum; Sodium is at a MINOR level; Sodium sources: coolant (antifreeze), lube additive or supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Your note [about the turbo] was taken into consideration; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

Equipment make: Subaru
Equipment model: 2.5L Turbo
Oil use interval: 7,988
Oil type & Grade: Amsoil SSO 0-W30
Make-up oil added: 1 qt. (last added 8 oz. 6,322 into OCI)
Miles on unit: 74,029
Air filter: Amsoil Ea panel filter
Oil filter: OEM Tokyo Roki

Overall severity of report = 3 Abnormal

(zero values omitted)
Iron 11 12
Aluminum 3 4
Copper 6 7
Lead 4 5
Silicon 11 14
Sodium 90 10
Potassium 2 2
Molybdenum 1 2
Boron 7 2
Magnesium 17 587
Calcium 3423 1812
Phosphorus 677 873
Zinc 755 1106

Lube chg Y
Filter chg Y
Fuel Soot Water Vis @ 100C: 9.6
TBN 4.01
Oxidation 38
Nitration 27

Given my driving conditions and that I had a new turbo installed, I thought the oil held up well. I presume the sodium is from when the turbo was replaced.

This is my first run on an Amsoil product and SSO is in there again. I’m also now trying an Amsoil oil filter.

Comments?
35.gif

-Dennis

You are probably correct about the sodium, assuming your coolant level is not decreasing. Still plenty of TBN. I think the next sample will look better and I believe you will like the EaO filter.

sobium = salt air???? you mention beach driving.

I didnt realize that a TBN of 4 was unacceptable.

Im also suprised that the oil wasnt changed when the engine was opened up to replace the turbo - even if it was just a bolt on/bolt off type of thing...

I don't get the sodium from the turbo change. I would have accepted silicon ..but sodium?
54.gif
I guess the beach driving is the source (to that degree
54.gif
) ..no abrasive wear ..not much wear at all over the whole series of UOA from both labs. Visc slid a smidgen
21.gif

Chiming in on the Na. I guess the reasoning is something (coolant, salt booger, etc) could have got in the oil lines when playing hide the pipe with the turbo....

I'd wortch it. It be dropping fast or perhaps as we have seen before, NaCl laden air can make it into the engine.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I have EaO on our Outback and since install no start up rattle which plagued it with OEM and aftermarket filters. Thanks Pablo.

For the first time in 120k miles, I "fixed" the start-up rattle in my wife's '99 Outback by switching to Amsoil DEO 5W-40. I've always used OEM filters so I wonder if the Amsoil oil filter would've helped in my case as well? The DEO quietened this car like no other oil has, although I've only used conventional or synth blend in it (5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40). She said, "I never knew different oil could make that much of a difference in the noise."
thumbsup2.gif

I've been driving on the beach with this car since 2005 so I think the sodium would've showed up in previous uoa's. Coolant level is fine. The airbox is sealed ok (though I'll double-check) and I believe that Pablo could be correct that it was during the turbo swap. I hope so, anyway.
55.gif
Salt booger?
LOL.gif

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Nice report. Does SSO have a higher baseline of Sodium than GC? Just wondering.

Why did OAI say the "Base Number is below acceptable minimum"? I expected some rock bottom TBN with that comment and then I saw....4? Looks like this oil could run 9-10k in this application (given it's starting TBN).

Joe

Dennis I can't remember if the Outback had the dreaded start up rattle with Delvac 1 5W40 but I'll stick with the EaO filter as no rattle with Havoline Energy 5W30 and no filter has managed that. Very happy indeed with the Amsoil product not to mention the EaA which replaced my K&N cone air filter on my BMW.

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Nice report. Does SSO have a higher baseline of Sodium than GC? Just wondering.

Why did OAI say the "Base Number is below acceptable minimum"? I expected some rock bottom TBN with that comment and then I saw....4? Looks like this oil could run 9-10k in this application (given it's starting TBN).

Joe

No SSO is not a sodium containing oil.

I have zero concept these days on some of the Polaris/OAI comments. They flag low levels, make such comments. I think they are either in cahoots with Blackstone or we really don't know what we are taling about.

Time for AMSOIL to switch labs then? :)

Seriously though, I hate stuff like that. It's a baseless comment without any follow-up even. If a person didn't know what "base number" was, they'd think the oil was destroying their engine.

"Your note [about the turbo] was taken into consideration; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged. "

Seriously? This sounds like one of those machines that is pre-programmed to give a response and sound human.

Blackstone has a number of nice things about it (like lining up previous analyses on one page) and the only thing I've seen them genuinely and consistently questioned on is fuel level....I thought about giving OAI a try, but this report has scared me away for now.

I don't see a flashpoint listed, but I re-read the OP and realized it was 7 mile daily trips with regular beach driving (and not just a few trips onto the beach). I think the oil held up pretty darn well to this :)

Joe

I guess for $22, we should lower our expectations a bit. I always used to like OAI, because they never made any comments. I will continue to use them, but pretty much ignore the comments.

Now that they are 5 or so labs (one in Canada now) it's interesting to know (or not) how accuracy and precision will unfold.

My expectations are already low with blackstone for $22 (w/o TBN). I still feel a tad ripped off that it's $10 more for a TBN assessment :)

But still, it's a good point.

I think OAI was trying to keep the comments short and simple. It's not as funny as some of the Blackstone comments that I've seen.
55.gif
TBN, oxidation and nitration is also included so that's a plus.

Although I was suprised that Flashpoint isn't included. Is that because you just have to spend more for an accurate FP reading instead of basing it on fuel %?

-Dennis

Last edited:
Dennis,

What coolant are you using? If remember correctly, the green Subaru coolant has about equal amounts of Na and K.

Getting coolant into the oil lines when the turbo was replaced is a real possibility.

Ed

I've always used OEM coolant.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im also suprised that the oil wasnt changed when the engine was opened up to replace the turbo - even if it was just a bolt on/bolt off type of thing...

I asked the tech about replacing the oil and he said that I didn't need to. Of course he probably didn't know that I would run it to 8k miles. I actually planned to run it to 6k but made another trip to SC in October and waited until I returned.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back