Amsoil SS 0w20 vs 5w30 in 1.5T UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I pulled a sample off of my Civic with 5w30 SS currently in the sump. This oil has 4550mi on it since January this year. Prior to that I ran 0w20 for 4590 and had it tested as well.I don't have complete report yet although I called polaris and they gave me numbers on the tests they have already performed. So here they are

Iron 6
Aluminum 3
Copper 1
Fuel 4%
TBN 5.02 (9.16 fresh)
Vis 8.9 cst (10.4 fresh).

Below is my previous report with 0w20 for your reference. Now, whether 5w30 "protects" better than 0w20 - decide for yourself.

Keep in mind, that car has not been driven for the past 2 months since I got my left achilles torn (ocassionally pulled out of the garage) with exception of 20min highway drive before sampling. This could attribute to higher than expected FD number.

I'll get the full report hopefully tomorrow.

Comments please!

P.S. 0w20 - old formula. 5w30 - reformulated for D1G2

Last edited:
If I'm reading this right,the chart is the 0W20 and the typed list is the 5W30? What's "sample 1 and sample 2" in the chart mean? Did you run two uoa's with the 0W20?

it is at 19K right now, and yes it is low miles but i would imagine it is well beyond its brake in period

Originally Posted By: parshisa
it is at 19K right now, and yes it is low miles but i would imagine it is well beyond its brake in period

Yes, the break-in period is a short 600 miles according to Honda.
smile.gif

Sure your iron numbers didn't change much, and that is important. Still, your 5w30 thinned to a 5w20 with fuel dilution and permanent shear, so you're smart to stick with 5w30 in that TX climate. Maybe M1 AFE 0w30 would work as well; only really important to use a "0w" oil if one drives north of Oklahoma in the winter.

17k might be early to have everything break-in wise to have cleared out. It will be interesting to compare the next sample, but with the shearing, agree with running the 30 grade.

What is the specification for this vehicle?

It is specked for whatever 0w20. I guess another take away from this report is that this engine doesn’t really care for 5w30 and really makes no difference compared to 0w20

Yesterday I pulled a sample off of my Civic with 5w30 SS currently in the sump. This oil has 4550mi on it since January this year. Prior to that I ran 0w20 for 4590 and had it tested as well.I don't have complete report yet although I called polaris and they gave me numbers on the tests they have already performed. So here they are

Iron 6
Aluminum 3
Copper 1
Fuel 4%
TBN 5.02 (9.16 fresh)
Vis 8.9 cst (10.4 fresh).

Below is my previous report with 0w20 for your reference. Now, whether 5w30 "protects" better than 0w20 - decide for yourself.

Keep in mind, that car has not been driven for the past 2 months since I got my left achilles torn (ocassionally pulled out of the garage) with exception of 20min highway drive before sampling. This could attribute to higher than expected FD number.

I'll get the full report hopefully tomorrow.

Comments please!

P.S. 0w20 - old formula. 5w30 - reformulated for D1G2

At what mileage did you change the factory fill?

4,722 because the oil level was rapidly rising. And it was veeeery watery -5.9cst as per UOA

4,722 because the oil level was rapidly rising. And it was veeeery watery -5.9cst as per UOA
If that low-visc possibility doesn't scare you into sticking with a 0w30 or 5w30, I dunno what will.

My bet is the engine is still shedding some break in metals. I'd stick with a 30 grade oil to help combat fuel dilution.

Maybe I’ll stick to 5K intervals till my stash of Amsoil 0W20 is up then go to 0W30 after.

I was with factory fill only. Consecutive OCI were much better really so nothing really to be scared of here

Honestly, I don’t think there is a need for 30 weight here. Same wear numbers, actually less shear and TBN reduction with 0w20 (although it was higj Ca old formula). I have 2 OCI worth of 0w20 in my stash so that’s what i shall be using

Honestly, I don’t think there is a need for 30 weight here. Same wear numbers, actually less shear and TBN reduction with 0w20 (although it was higj Ca old formula). I have 2 OCI worth of 0w20 in my stash so that’s what i shall be using

Agreed. Your wear metals are definitely a lot lower than the CRV 1.5T UOA I posted.

I think you are right... The Signature Series 0w20 will be just fine. Your analysis shoes the two runs of 0w20 held up it's viscosity. That's a very good sign.

Now the question is how much longer should i keep this oil in? 1000-1500-2000mi more?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back