Amsoil Las Vegas Tax Cab Field Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the BITOG spirit and since I'm not working today, I gleaned all the questions from this thread and asked Amsoil.

Probably will get a response in a day or two.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I want to see the "pizza delivery torture test". Start it up, drive somewhere, turn it off, deliver, start it up again, go back, turn it off..in the winter...

That would be a test, maybe in a nice cold Northern US area or Canada during the height of winter. I'd also like to see a dino vs. synthetic test under those conditions.

Quote:
Signature Series Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil were
installed in six of the fleet’s vehicles.

Did anyone see as to "when" they started their tests?

I didn't see any real data, just pictures and text.

What was the cam lobe profile measurements when new, how much wear on the cam lobes at the end of the test, how much wear did the lifters show, how much wear and varnish on the AT valves themselves, how much enlargement in the AT valve bores, etc?

If they did make all of these measurements, those results would certainly be fed back to the formulator for tweaking of chemistries.

Last edited:
I agree with Mola and add that I would have been much more impressed with this test if another identical vehicle had been operated under the same conditions with the "lesser" lubes. We see some nice pics of parts that look like they wore well with the Amsoil but we don't see any evidence of problems with whatever they were using before, nor do we even know the details of what was used before or how the cars were serviced. Overall, pretty lackluster and unconvincing evidence. Amsoil usually does better presenting stuff like this. Properly implemented, it's very likely their products could show an improvement over many lesser lubricant in the harsh world of LV taxis but this meagre offering wouldn't convince any seriously objective person of very much.

I do believe Amsoil is good stuff, but the study---- no control = scientifically irrelevant. It would be funny if using dino and follow reasonable OCI AND we can still see the manufacturer stamp date.

Amosil guys give up already this is a Mobil 1 forum.

No amount of data is going to sway the Amsoil haters.

Ru the oil you like and use your UOA's to determine performance.

Originally Posted By: skellyman
I'm just waiting for some one to say PYB would do this too.

PYB would do this, too.

There. I said it.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: skellyman
I'm just waiting for some one to say PYB would do this too.

PYB would do this, too.

There. I said it.

Disagree.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Signature Series Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil were
installed in six of the fleet’s vehicles.

Did anyone see as to "when" they started their tests?

I didn't see any real data, just pictures and text.

What was the cam lobe profile measurements when new, how much wear on the cam lobes at the end of the test, how much wear did the lifters show, how much wear and varnish on the AT valves themselves, how much enlargement in the AT valve bores, etc?

If they did make all of these measurements, those results would certainly be fed back to the formulator for tweaking of chemistries.

The tests were run for 18 months. I was told it was by a 3rd party company and they did not provide any other photos. They were striving for a shorter report. Not info for formulating.

I believe we're reading too much into this test.

I'm grateful that a reputable company put their high quality products on the line. Amsoil is more transparent than most other companies and I give them credit for not compromising their standards and for their efforts in educating the public.

You might dispute their delivery system or sales method, but at least they come through with top-notch products that can easily be delivered to your front door.

Sure would have been nice to see pics of the failed engines without pics talk is cheap.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
I believe we're reading too much into this test.

I'm grateful that a reputable company put their high quality products on the line. Amsoil is more transparent than most other companies and I give them credit for not compromising their standards and for their efforts in educating the public.

You might dispute their delivery system or sales method, but at least they come through with top-notch products that can easily be delivered to your front door.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Amsoil is too inconvenient to buy. Sorry guys.

^^^^ Exactly!

I *might* try it if I could walk into Advance, Autozone or WalMart and buy it for the same or right around the same price point as M1 or PU. Until then, it will never sell as well or be as accepted IMO.

Amsoil- Take note from Royal Purple, they are putting their stuff on shelves everywhere now! and even offering sales and rebates.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Amsoil is too inconvenient to buy. Sorry guys.

The thing that gets me personally is,I love Amsoil,BUT the [censored] shipping charges are what keeps me from purchasing it all the time.
whistle.gif

How many cabs in Las Vegas are using Amsoil and how many are using Mobil??? How many are using the cheapest dino made?? How many miles are put on those cabs??? Does it seem to matter? is the question. I bet you come up with the same answer as Consumer Reports did... NONE really.

Spring has sprung, people start working on their cars, what better time to launch an ad? An ad made to look like some impressive test was conducted. As someone already mentioned these ads are not targeted to people who know about engines or oil, its just a shot at advertising, nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back