Amsoil EaAU vs. AFE Pro Dry S Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing if anyone has experience with these two filters. Want more flow in my car.

Amsoil is cheaper but website states it is not washable but can be cleaned. Also should be replaced every 4 years or 100k miles

Afe is washable and reusable. But another website states it can only be cleaned so much before replacement is needed.

Product im specifically looking at
AMSOIL 4075
Afe 21-90096

Also i believe the amsoil is a bigger filter

I ran an aFe Pro Dry S on both my 911 and Q7 with no complaints. Both were very well constructed and fit perfectly. Intake tracts remained spotless.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I second kschachn's question. Do you know for sure that your current filter is a point of restriction?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Are you getting insufficient flow now?

Yes, I have a deleted 335d (diesel) with a oiled K&N drop in filter. A few other owners said they added the afe and significantly reduced the amount of smoke from the car.

Reason im looking at the amsoil is because its cheaper (member discount), easier to obtain and there is a local store. Just seeing if AFE is significantly better or more or less the same.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I second kschachn's question. Do you know for sure that your current filter is a point of restriction?

Thank you! Been a long time lurker

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn
Are you getting insufficient flow now?

Yes, I have a deleted 335d (diesel) with a oiled K&N drop in filter. A few other owners said they added the afe and significantly reduced the amount of smoke from the car.

Reason im looking at the amsoil is because its cheaper (member discount), easier to obtain and there is a local store. Just seeing if AFE is significantly better or more or less the same.

Those testimonials on the aFe: were they comparing vs. the stock filter, or a K&N drop-in? Or both?

What's the relationship between smoke and air filter flow rate?

Originally Posted by d00df00d
What's the relationship between smoke and air filter flow rate?

Comparing to stock air box in general, with and without K&N. More flow rate means more diesel burnt which in return less smoke at WOT.

Last edited:
Comparing to stock air box in general, with and without K&N. More flow rate means more diesel burnt which in return less smoke at WOT.

Help me out, diesel engines don't have a mass air flow sensor? What kind of car do you have and what year?

Help me out, diesel engines don't have a mass air flow sensor? What kind of car do you have and what year?

Newer diesels do have mass air flow sensors.:)

Originally Posted by A310

Newer diesels do have mass air flow sensors.:)

I think kschachn was actually pointing that out in his post. In other words, doesn't OP's car have a MAF? The idea would be that a marginally more or less restrictive intake filter shouldn't affect combustion quality much because the engine would use the MAF to adjust for the actual flow rate.

I like AFE which is what I have in my 15 Tacoma. Since AFE didn't make one for my wife's 19 Pilot I ordered a AEM. Construction on those seem good.

Either should be fine. Both have good reviews all over the internet. I have a diesel car (2002 Jetta) and use a stock air filter because there is little, if any, gain from using a performance filter. The stock air box is capable of flowing a great deal more air than the engine can ever use. Mine has moderate performance parts, Bosio DLC 1019 nozzles, BW BV39 turbo, deleted, 3" turbo back exhaust, fueling and timing mechanically adjusted then fine tuned with VCDS, Malone Stage 3 tune. Diesels like a dry filter because of the darn MAF right there on the airbox. Mine was nuked by an over oiled K&N (MY fault, not K&N's). I roughly doubled my factory horsepower but am still close to a hundred short of what your car is rated at. Do you have any performance mods? If you do black smoke is something you're going to have to get used to when you're having fun. If you tune the smoke out by reducing fuel it will proportionately slow the car down. Mine is smoke free with "normal" sane driving but when I want to bust the tires loose through the first three gears it'll roll coal pretty bad.

I put the AFE pro-dry S in my parent's cars (2011 Fit and 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L) and they have been great for several years. I clean them about once a year (wash and dry in the sun). The ability to wash them makes them superior to the Amsoil in my opinion. I had the Amsoil in my Jeep Cherokee, and while it was a good filter it was not washable, so the only option was blowing it out with an air compressor. I usually just rinse the filters with mildly soapy water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back