Amsoil 5W30, ~5000, 2006 Subaru STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the STI's octane requirements are the same as all Subaru turbos. A minimum of 91 octane.

-Dennis

~5000 miles, different gas station (Chevron this time), no track days, no Torco, just commuting & regular driving.

I think if I could figure out the source for the high Manganese, the copper & lead would solve itself. I had Terry look at this report and it sounds as though he agrees with that assessment.

My guess is this motor will not make it beyond 100K, and maybe not quite that far even, before one of the bearings goes out of spec and starts making noise. Grrr. Oh well, I don't expect to own this car past 90K miles or so anyway.

uoa20070905.gif

I have no concept where the heck the Mn is coming from. I could see some residual in your fuel system, fuel filter... and some deposits in the combustion chambers, but wow - to get 143 ppm in your oil from that? I wouldn't think so.

Some Mn is used in steel, but your Fe number is very low.

I would change plugs, fuel filter, then run some cc cleaners through with a couple very short conventional oils OCI's (1000 miles) - maybe even do an AutoRx afterward - then do another UOA. Crazy I know, but maybe necessary.

My plan is to replace the K&N filter I have now with the stock airbox & paper filter, then replace the plugs. Fuel filter depending on if I can find it...

I hadn't thought about going down so low on the OCI, I figured I'd start doing conventional oil at 2500 miles OCI.

Quote:

My plan is to replace the K&N filter I have now with the stock airbox & paper filter, then replace the plugs. Fuel filter depending on if I can find it...

I hadn't thought about going down so low on the OCI, I figured I'd start doing conventional oil at 2500 miles OCI.

Yeah that was another thought I had - the Mn coming from the environment. Where in OR do you live?

On the very short OCI - that's just a flush suggestion, not forever. Like change plugs, filters, running a good cc cleaner, etc change the oil twice or so at very short intervals, to flush the engine.

I'm surprised to see things remain the same this UOA.

Like Pablo, I would also suggest running a short OCI or two (perhaps on dino oil) followed up with another UOA and definitely swap out the K&N for a good paper filter. Tthe OEM filters work well, IMO the K&N should have been ditched after your first UOA at 12k mi with the elevated Si there to rule out the K&N. Plugs (I like the NGK Iridium IX on Subies) and fuel filter are a good idea, too.

After 35k it won't hurt to change the plugs and fuel filter a bit early even though Subaru recommends changing those at 60k.

I really hope the Lead/Copper isn't from your bearings! Some have suggested a 40wt oil at least for tracking the car to help with the oil thinning out, but Amsoil 5w30 is already much thicker than most other 30wt oils.

Your silicon is very high, compared to what we usually see. This would contribute to the higher bearing wear. Better filtration will probablt lower those numbers.....

Quote:

I really hope the Lead/Copper isn't from your bearings! Some have suggested a 40wt oil at least for tracking the car to help with the oil thinning out ...

That's what I was thinking.

-Dennis

ditch the kn and get something better. amsoil, aem dryflow or afe pro dry. my kn hasnt been good to me.

Maybe run a few very short OCIs of a cheapish dino like Castrol GTX just to 'clear' things out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back