Amsoil 5-30W Signature Series Vs Mobil 1 0-30W AFE

I just switched from Mobil to Amsoil, and I'm impressed with how the engine become more smooth and quiet, especially at high rpm despite there is not too much difference in the HT/HSV parameter, Mobil is 3.0 and Amsoil is 3.11.

The main reason I went to Amsoil is because It can handle long drains, but seems the engine is far more protected too.

The fuel consumption seems Mobil is little better so far.

I just switched from Mobil to Amsoil, and I'm impressed with how the engine become more smooth and quiet, especially at high rpm despite there is not too much difference in the HT/HSV parameter, Mobil is 3.0 and Amsoil is 3.11.

The main reason I went to Amsoil is because It can handle long drains, but seems the engine is far more protected too.

No

Those in the know use this to temper the deficiencies of Amsoil.
1712102765994.jpg

M1 AFE is designed to shear down rapidly in use, which is why you see the slightly better mileage (even though it’s REALLY hard to prove with all the variables involved). Amsoil as you said is designed for the long haul, and your engine will have a thicker MOFT than with M1, which over the long haul should result in slightly better wear results, which can only truly be verified via tear down.

Instead of worrying about those things though, enjoy your results and post up some UOAs and OCI length comparisons as you stretch out your drain intervals! 👍🏻

I did notice some visual differences between Amsoil (signature series) and Mobil1 (EP and previously AFE) when using them back to back. But no sound differences.

The Mobil1 changed color/darkened in a more linear way throughout my 10,000 mile OCI. The Amsoil changed color/darkened very quickly at around 1,000-2,000 miles BUT hasn’t really darkened noticeably since (now at 11,000 miles).

Also the Amsoil initially used a little bit of oil in the first 3,000-4,000 miles (whereas the Mobil1 didn’t). I did change out the filter on the Amsoil interval at 7,000 miles, but the Amsoil for some reason seems to be getting “better” the more miles it accumulates…oil usage has completely stopped and the color hasn’t darkened at all after that initial change. This is the furthest I’ve gone on an interval, not sure when I’ll drain it…probably either when I chicken out or the level starts to drop (I’m out of Amsoil and don’t want to top it up with anything else because I’m sending in a sample).

Next up for me Pennzoil Ultra

I did notice some visual differences between Amsoil (signature series) and Mobil1 (EP and previously AFE) when using them back to back. But no sound differences.

The Mobil1 changed color/darkened in a more linear way throughout my 10,000 mile OCI. The Amsoil changed color/darkened very quickly at around 1,000-2,000 miles BUT hasn’t really darkened noticeably since (now at 11,000 miles).

Also the Amsoil initially used a little bit of oil in the first 3,000-4,000 miles (whereas the Mobil1 didn’t). I did change out the filter on the Amsoil interval at 7,000 miles, but the Amsoil for some reason seems to be getting “better” the more miles it accumulates…oil usage has completely stopped and the color hasn’t darkened at all after that initial change. This is the furthest I’ve gone on an interval, not sure when I’ll drain it…probably either when I chicken out or the level starts to drop (I’m out of Amsoil and don’t want to top it up with anything else because I’m sending in a sample).

Next up for me Pennzoil Ultra

The Amsoil was cleaning up after that M1 swiil. 😂

AFE is not in the same league as Amsoil but it is the quietest M1 I’ve ever run. I’d use it again if it held viscosity better.

M1 AFE is designed to shear down rapidly in use, which is why you see the slightly better mileage (even though it’s REALLY hard to prove with all the variables involved). Amsoil as you said is designed for the long haul, and your engine will have a thicker MOFT than with M1, which over the long haul should result in slightly better wear results, which can only truly be verified via tear down.

Instead of worrying about those things though, enjoy your results and post up some UOAs and OCI length comparisons as you stretch out your drain intervals! 👍🏻
I've seen that statement made a couple of times, but where is the evidence it is designed to do so? And mechanical shear? That means an inferior VM, does ExxonMobil really make this oil with a VM that is prone to mechanical shear?

The other issue I have is that most of the UOA on here are from Blackstone and they are incapable of distinguishing between mechanical shear of the VM and fuel dilution. Fuel dilution is much, much more common on most engines. Is there really a base of properly performed UOA that demonstrate this mechanical shear of AFE VII?

Back