Amount Of Dripless Undercoating To Use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sprayed my Sierra last weekend. I used the undercoating from Monarch Oil
https://www.monarchoil.com/

This is the first time I used the dripless oil, I have always used the drippy version. It took 4 litres to spray the entire truck! I had to stop three times to refill the cup on my gun. That was annoying. I used the RP-460-HD gun from Lemmer
http://www.lemmer.com/contents/en-us/d36_rust-proofing.html

There was not much undercoating on the ground after parking the truck overnight, so that is an indication I did not apply too much. I applied enough to ensure all the metal under my truck was covered.

Ambient temperature was around 20C. Maybe with warmer temperatures I might have needed less.

Does 4 litres sound excessive?

Last edited:
No amount is excessive when it comes to rust-proofing.
grin2.gif
Sounds about right.

The drip stuff is best for the doors, rockers etc. to creep and seep. The non-drip is great for the under carriage. I prefer a non-solvent based drip oil everywhere so be sure it's getting into the areas I can't see.

Last edited:
Monarch oil creeps just fine. If the truck was never sprayed before, then a gallon sounds about right, but on the subsequent resprays you will use less.
I even started to thin out monarch stuff with WD-40 as the layers were starting to build up too much and I felt I didn't need that much grease underneath.
lol.gif

Here is the creeping action after about a week after I sprayed the car. I originally only sprayed the inside of the wheel well, the oil crept around the fender to the outside.

[Linked Image]IMAG0254_zps0bcdcdae by Yahoo Cane, on Flickr

Last edited:
I never used that stuff and was going based on what he said about it non-dripping so I assumed it was more grease like. Good to know it creeps.

The truck has been sprayed before, three times by a Krown shop and a few times by me with drippy oil. When I sprayed I only did the brake lines, fuel lines, top of the fuel tank and some other vulnerable areas, not the entire truck. I did the entire underbody this time with the dripless.

Originally Posted by George7941
The truck has been sprayed before, three times by a Krown shop and a few times by me with drippy oil. When I sprayed I only did the brake lines, fuel lines, top of the fuel tank and some other vulnerable areas, not the entire truck. I did the entire underbody this time with the dripless.

A truck is much bigger and has lots more going on under than my little Mazda 3.
The first time I sprayed it, after years of Krowning, I used about half the gallon. Afterwards I was using about a third of the gallon.

One gallon is perfectly normal IMO.

Last edited:
Good to know it is normal. What I am going to do is get a 10 litre pressure pot to hold the oil so that I am not constantly stopping the spraying to refill the gun cup. I have to spray some large trucks

Originally Posted by Kestas
I once sprayed 5 gals of rustproofing on a car.

crazy2.gif

George7941, did you spray inside the frame rails and other cavities?

shocked2.gif

Did you spray the surface of the body panels and underneath the carpet too?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
George7941, did you spray inside the frame rails and other cavities?

Yes, I did. My main frame rails are C sections, not boxed. Some of the cross members are boxed. They have holes on the bottom side (drainage?) and I sprayed thoroughly through the holes. There are sheet metal shields underneath the box, above the exhaust pipes and muffler and I went to some trouble to ensure that the bottom of the bed above the shields were sprayed adequately.

I would have loved to see the floor/ground underneath Kestas' car after he sprayed five gallons on to the car.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

crazy2.gif

When you do it yourself, you do it right. It's a lot of work for me to rustproof a car. I got all the spots that mattered, including the cavities. I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do it for a while. The stuff does dry and wear away with time and requires recoating. The car took it all. I used Texaco Rustproof Compound. I buy it by the 1/4-barrel.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

shocked2.gif

lol.gif
Don't forget inside the exhaust!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Nick1994

shocked2.gif

lol.gif
Don't forget inside the exhaust!

Yeah like this, but with undercoating oil

Bought a 10 litre pressure pot.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-litre-paint-tank/A-p8006581e
The pot is built like a tank. Made of very heavy gauge steel. My existing gun hooked right up to it with no adapters needed, The pot came with the hoses, 3/8 in fluid hose and 1/4 in atomisation air hose.

I sprayed one vehicle with it over the weekend and it was a pleasure not to have to stop and refill. The previous 1 litre cup that the gun came with would run out in less than five minutes of continuous spraying.

100_1146.jpg

Last edited:
In the case of drip-less rustproofing compounds, the more the better imo. I apply it until it looks like molten ice cream.

Originally Posted by George7941
Bought a 10 litre pressure pot.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-litre-paint-tank/A-p8006581e
The pot is built like a tank. Made of very heavy gauge steel. My existing gun hooked right up to it with no adapters needed, The pot came with the hoses, 3/8 in fluid hose and 1/4 in atomisation air hose.

I sprayed one vehicle with it over the weekend and it was a pleasure not to have to stop and refill. The previous 1 litre cup that the gun came with would run out in less than five minutes of continuous spraying.

That's a nice looking set up! It brings back memories when my bud's and I use to do our own. I still wish I had the area/room/means to continue with that but such is life.
Let us know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back