Amoco making a resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't buy BP if it was $0.10 gallon cheaper than the lowest Rotten Robbie ... And if the Amoco stations look too much like a BP product, ain't going there either. Sorry, just not going to do business with them.

It's me exercising my rights as a consumer. I hope they die a slow and painful death.

Well, I’d always go to Amoco before BP. Amoco is in my wheelhouse. BP is a 911 stop.

Around 2002, every Mobil station in Waco went BP/Amoco. I saved a bunch of their sign parts.

They only lasted a few years as green/yellow, and now they are all Chevron or Shell.

Marine White was the original unleaded gasoline, it was available at marinas everywhere. My dad used Marine White for our OPE.

I have no fondness for BP nor Amoco personally.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
When I first moved to St. Louis in 2007, I remember seeing this GIGANTIC Amoco sign as you went west on I-64 through the city. You could see it a mile away. I used to stop there just for the heck of it and get gas, just because it was a brand I'd never used before. I think they're going for nostalgia, people will see it and stop there. The great big Amoco sign was only there until perhaps mid-2008 then it converted to a normal BP station without the huge beacon of a sign.

US-40/I-64 (no one in STL calls it I-64, FWIW) at Skinker. I graduated from Washington University, so I lived very near there for 9 semesters.

I had not really noticed that the sign was now down. At some point, you tune out the noise, including what may have been the world's largest Amoco sign.

Oh yes, all the BP hate. I for one thought it was a sad incident and lots of bad juju came from it. But to hate them so much? I don't know of one oil company that hasn't had some bad juju spill at some point in thier corporate life but BP has sure taken the biggest beating over theirs.

I lived in England a couple of years and saw BP stations a lot while there. So when I saw BP open up in my own home town I was a bit nostalgic about it and started using the brand just as a reminder of some fun days in London and nearby areas. Since the spill I cannot find a BP station near me at all. Kind of sad because I would use that in my vehicle still. I also liked Castrol GTX in the past and used it in a ford 302 engine for years until I started using Chevron Supreme oil when the budget got a bit tighter and I found Chevron oil for less. That was when SE and SF was in vogue.

They are just going after the nostalgia factor.

In the Blackstone testing of old oils, one of them is Amoco 'LDO' 10W-40; and the author goes on about his memories of his dad going to Amoco stations when he was young. This is the demographic they are targeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back