Amica and/or Geico Car Insurance Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Amica, it was ~500 cheaper than USAA where I am. I dropped Geico back in 80's after they doubled my rates for a Accident that never happened and refused to talk about it. Dropped State Farm after I returned from a Deployment in 01 and they refused to take in account I had been a member since 80's. Dropped USAA after they kept raising my rates 20% a quarter and I live in a Rural area (few vehicles out here).

Amica, have been trying to get Amica for ages, never get it in the range I can afford but whoever with Amica I talked to, didn't hear a single negative note. Geico is the cheapest I can get but its a HUGE YMMV.

If I remember correctly, CR also recommends Amica. I am currently using Erie. They are good too. No complaints there. Switched to Erie after I realized that State Farm was fleecing me.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Amica, have been trying to get Amica for ages, never get it in the range I can afford but whoever with Amica I talked to, didn't hear a single negative note. Geico is the cheapest I can get but its a HUGE YMMV.

If I remember correctly, CR also recommends Amica. I am currently using Erie. They are good too. No complaints there. Switched to Erie after I realized that State Farm was fleecing me.

I had Amica before Geico. Didn't have any problems with their claims, can't really remember much about them. But at one point, the rates kept going up every year and I called them and asked if they could do anything for me as people were quoting me lower rates. The lady on the phone said that she would if she could but couldn't offer me anything. At that point, I just switched to Geico. They were several hundred dollars cheaper a year. I guess Geico is fine if you don't have any claims.

I heard good things about Amica, I heard Geico is so&so, while Farmers is at the bottom of the pile (I had to deal with them a number of times, from both sides).

Im not sure why people care about customer service comments when it comes to insurance.
Insurance is very rare that you will ever use it and if you do, insurance is the most tightly regulated industry there is.

If your insured you get paid. Customer care in any insurance company is good.
GO for price, not rumors on service, they are all good and like "oil" the more expensive ones simply are good at marketing to obtain higher profits.

Every 6 to 12 months people should be going online and applying to 4 different insurance companies, then just pick the cheapest one for the coverage you need.
Its takes less then an hour and you will be saving thousands over your lifetime.

Some names that come to mind, Dairlyland, Gieco, State Farm, Progressive, Travelers, All State, Amica, and half a dozen more.

I drop insurance companies on a dime at any price increase, its so easy to switch and you do not have to wait until the policy expires, they will send a refund. Must have had 6 different homeowners insurance companies in the last 13 years. Anytime a price increase, I just say no and switch, the current one seems to have learned not to raise my rate! I pay about half of what most do.

Car and bike insurance is a little more stable, not much, must have had 4 companies over the last 12 years, never remember who my current company is until I look at my paperwork!

Who cares about rumors of customer service? Go for price IF that is what you care about. Ive been around on this earth quite a long time now, never had a at fault accident and never a claim on a home yet and if I ever do, I have insurance to take care of the cost. Like motor oil, you wont know the difference. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
...never had a at fault accident and never a claim on a home yet and if I ever do, I have insurance to take care of the cost. Like motor oil, you won’t know the difference. :eek:)

Get back to us when you have, you will understand why people care about customer service from an insurance company, and why JD Power rates them.

It is sort of like the guy in the oil filter forum with the blown up Sprinter van who saved a few bucks with a WIX and an independent and is now having to fight to get his engine replaced. He’ll probably eventually get an engine from somebody but it’ll be an ordeal...

When an underinsured/uninsured driver hits you, or you accidentally hit someone do you want to fight the insurance company every step of the way (or have the person you hit, fight them every step of the way until they are so mad they sue you - and it is you who gets sued - perhaps for over your limits)?

Or do you want it to go more like the totaled Tiguan?

If your insured, they have to pay. ...

I hope ( and I am completely sincere ) that you are lucky enough to never learn from experience how wrong you are.

If your insured, they have to pay. Most companies mentioned here are name brand, known companies.

They'll pay... the question is how much and will they make you "whole" again.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
If your insured, they have to pay. Most companies mentioned here are name brand, known companies.

They'll pay... the question is how much and will they make you "whole" again.

This is the phrase that's open to interpretation. Installing used/foreign parts on your car is considered making you "whole again". And it's in your policy that they may do so.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If your insured, they have to pay. ...

I hope ( and I am completely sincere ) that you are lucky enough to never learn from experience how wrong you are.

With respect and I too sincere, I completely disagree.
Insurance is for one reason, its for people who cant afford a big lawsuit or a big loss. Corporations and the very wealthy do not need or buy insurance.

Insurance companies are not anyones "friend" they are a business and their fiduciary responsibility is to make every profit they can from their customers and give it to their stockholders, assuming it is a publicly held company. The insurance companies are the people "producing the "lottery" tickets and many more people buying those tickets then they ever pay out.

I never had a problem with an insurance company and never will, lucky? I dont think so.

Since you did refer to JD Powers, honestly I do not care what they say, as the law is on my side and I have no problem with anyone who wants to feel more comfortable paying a higher premium to feel better about a possible once in a lifetime problem they may have with a company.
But like I said, most companies mention in this thread and forums all over are about equally rated according to your mentioned JDPowers when it comes to claims satisfaction.
Again, could care less about JD but here is the 2017 chart from them showing almost all companies average or better, even then, you have to allow for a margin of error that one company might be higher then rated and a higher then rated might be lower as nothing is absolute in any survey.
Click here, JD powers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back