American cultural icon's.

I remember when I was a kid there was nobody like Evel Knievel. Dude would tour the country stopping at state fairs, racetracks and other events and jump just about anything on his motorcycle. He had his share of crashes too. I saw him in person once in Yakima, Washington at a local racetrack. Hard landing caused a fracture. Dude had stones, that's for sure. Is there any modern equivalent to this nowadays. People growing up the last few generations have anybody comparable? Seems the world has moved on.

Tony Hawk is the American icon from my childhood. It seemed like he was featured in practically every ad you could think of! We were all preoccupied with skateboards, roller blades and scooters (I had an X Games-themed one). This was an integral part of our culture. To me, there simply is no other person with such widespread appeal for our generation of kids.

Michael Jordan - not just rare talent but smart enough to keep some of his opinions balanced …

I thought the title was followed by 'cars' or something. I was ready to mention James Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder, Elvis's pink '54 Fleetwood, and Steve McQueen's '72 M-B 300 SEL.

I remember when I was a kid there was nobody like Evel Knievel. Dude would tour the country stopping at state fairs, racetracks and other events and jump just about anything on his motorcycle. He had his share of crashes too. I saw him in person once in Yakima, Washington at a local racetrack. Hard landing caused a fracture. Dude had stones, that's for sure. Is there any modern equivalent to this nowadays. People growing up the last few generations have anybody comparable? Seems the world has moved on.
It's a matter of saturation. Back then, the media outlets for publicity were much more limited. Now the signal to noise ratio is much different. Now, so called icons have more competition and smaller segments of the audience available.

Back