Amazon to sell cars online, starting with Hyundai

There's already a huge stack of Amazon returns every time I go into The UPS store. I don't think they could fit a pile of cars in there as well. /s

Well, Costco will sell 'em by the palette...
I think it's a great idea. Direct is gonna kill the dealership model.
I wouldn't jump on the direct sales killing the franchise business model yet. A growing number of Tesla customers have found out that without a buffer they've have been hung out to dry. Not that franchisees are rainbows and gold but...

I wouldn't jump on the direct sales killing the franchise business model yet. A growing number of Tesla customers have found out that without a buffer they've have been hung out to dry. Not that franchisees are rainbows and gold but...
Amazon is a platform the dealers are using You still have to visit the dealership to do paperwork and take delivery

Amazon is a platform the dealers are using You still have to visit the dealership to do paperwork and take delivery
I wonder if it would be cheaper or more convenient to use a private buyer. A guy I worked with did this for people. Most were Jaguar or BMW owners. Dealerships are getting more stingy and Lexus dealerships don't want to pay the $3 grand in commission

Reactions: CKN
Seems like amazon recognized an untapped potential; lead generation. Everybody uses amazon daily, so why not advertise cars?

I assume this will let them gain Truecar-like data analytics without paying the Truecar Finders fee. There long play I would assume is to go after dealer track. If they can bring together CRM software, inventory analytics, and finance vetting, they can set the stage of how big tech upgrades the dealership model.

Or they just like hyundais alot

I think they would be just listing a bunch of cars and have you either buy or not buy, like Carvana. Maybe they can deliver it to you after you pay, but what value does Amazon bring that isn't already done by other startups or existing referral / dealers? This is not something they can deliver in house or get you savings just because they are Amazon.

Back