Alternative to MC yellow coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highly doubtful. Here's an article from SAE confirming Mopar Orange HOAT is G05 dyed orange, vs. Ford G05 dyed gold.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

"The dye color of antifreeze has nothing to do with antifreeze formula or performance. Chrysler’s G-05 contains orange dye to distinguish it from a yellow dye antifreeze previously used. Other users of G-05 have yellow or even blue dye. However, GM DexCool, a purely organic acid type, also has orange dye, and this has been a source of service industry confusion. Fiat’s OAT, although a different formula, also has orange dye and it has been used in early production of the Dodge Dart. The new Chrysler OAT, however, will have a purple dye.

Petronas Lubricants is the Fiat supplier. CCI Manufacturing will provide the Chrysler OAT."

Never seen Mopar Pink antifreeze personally. Even old Zerex charts show Orange HOAT from Mopar as G05.

My prior Ram was a 2001 with a 360, and green coolant, one of the last before the switch to HOAT.

Zerex G05 does list one single specific Chrysler crossover number MS9769. If that's associated with whatever Mopar Pink antifreeze you're referring to it should be equivalent. It is for my factory fill Mopar Orange HOAT in 2012.

Mopar HOAT was replaced in the 2013 model year with OAT, and originally also dyed orange az seen in the SAE article which caused confusion - Mopar OAT is now dyed purple (but I've seen reports Fiat OAT is dyed orange) and I have no idea what Zerex coolant might cross with it as it isn't what my truck takes.

As seen it's best to refer to by spec number such as MS9769 than color.

Last edited:
Interesting you mention MS9769... note the label on the Mopar coolant I am referring to:

ae64748s-960.jpg

So you acknowledge the futility of referring to by color, and that Valvoline & I were not confused / misinformed?

Last edited:
I believe the confusion is because the FACTORY installed HOAT is/was orange while the bottled MOPAR HOAT is pink. In a way, you are both correct.
IN this pic, they refer to it as production part (factory) vs. service part (Mopar bottle):
coolant_warning.jpg

This following link has better HOAT pink/orange color rendition: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/94922/chrysler-purple-coolant

What is also bungled up (mentioned above) is that when they first introduced their new OAT coolant, some of it (I "think" maybe a FIAT version) was orange, before going to the purple.

It's hilarious how someone comes to some epiphany after MSDS sleuthing and posts thinking its a revelation to the planet that Zerex G05 is an aftermarket replacement for Mopar HOAT when the miniscule effort of reading the Zerex G05 PI sheet to see Chrysler MS 9769 in plain English (and been there for years) would have sufficed. Then argues accusing someone rlse of "synthesizing" factual material. Especially when the SAE itself states that Valvoline manufactures the G05 in the USA. Only on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
So you acknowledge the futility of referring to by color, and that Valvoline & I were not confused / misinformed?

1 - I never accused you of being confused. I said it sounds like the person you spoke with at Valvoline might be misinformed or mistaken. If you want to assume that I was also saying you were, then that's on you.
-- I did say that perhaps they had improperly synthesized something they had heard, comparing G-05 to 'Mopar orange' instead of 'Mopar pink.' As DoitMyself later pointed out, 'Mopar pink' is essentially their aftermarket version of the factory fill orange.
--- I'm also not above saying I could be wrong. It sounds like they may not have been off the mark, but I should add that neither was I with my initial post: G-05/Motorcraft Gold IS the same as 'Mopar pink.'

2 - I did not strictly refer to it by color - I said "Mopar "5 year / 100,000 mile" pink coolant" which is a unique coolant offered by them, and is even referred to on their bottle as "5 year / 100,000 mile" and as far as I have found is the only one listed as that designation. The newer 'purple' is listed as "10 year / 150,000 mile". Sure, I could have just referred to it as "68048953AA" but that's kind of cryptic, wouldn't you agree?
-- Yes, I did refer to the Motorcraft stuff as "Motorcraft Gold" but that is actually what FORD refers to it as. Technically, it's "Motorcraft Premium Gold" but I think we can all agree that "Motorcraft Gold" is just as clear.
--- Also, it seems you're making quite the assumption that I just simply 'refer to coolants by color.' I know better than to blindly refer to them that way. I've been here long enough to have read plenty on coolants and how confusing they have become. Heck, there's Mopar's pink, Fleet Charge pink, Toyota Pink, etc.. and that's just pink. Don't get me started on all the different greens.. I had to deal with that a while back when I had to make the determination as to whether my 2010 Fusion spec'd Motorcraft Gold or Motorcraft Green... the Motorcraft Coolant Chart specs both MC Gold and MC Green for this model year, depending on when during 2009 it was built.

3 - I posted my first post in this thread because I found the information and thought it might be worthwhile to others here. It was pertinent to the title of the thread. I wasn't just "sleuthing MSDS" sheets for these two.. I had been reading many articles, spec sheets, forums, etc.. on various coolants to see if there was one that might be a worthwhile alternative to what MC Gold/G-05, since I'll be changing out my thermostat soon, and came across this info during my reading. Turns out that I was correct on the matter too.

Do you really go around taking that superior attitude on other things? It's a bad attitude. I found something I found interesting and posted it here to share with others - Something which as far as I can tell is the reason this site was created - and you somehow found it necessary to make a passive aggressive statement about how "It's hilarious how someone comes to some epiphany after MSDS sleuthing and posts thinking its a revelation to the planet"

... to the planet? Really? I shared something I found interesting during a day of reading, in a thread that literally asked the question 'what is an alternative to MC yellow?'

Now I've been coming here long enough to see plenty of blowhards and holier-than-thou types talk down to each other, and I have a thick skin, so I am not going to let it deter me.. but I will say this: There are a LOT of new people who come on here and either ask honest questions, or share something they found, who, when faced with the kind of response I've seen from you in this thread, would simply turn and run, and never come back. It's just plain bad for membership and community.

I may have been mistaken about the Valvoline person you spoke with.. I'm man enough to admit that, and I'm also man enough to say that you made some valid points, but I don't believe that your indignant, superior attitude is warranted.

... Okay, I've said my peace. I'm not going to argue the matter further in open forum. Thank you for your contributions.

And DoitMyself - Thank you for the information you shared. I found it interesting. Glad to see Chrysler felt it beneficial to change their coolant colors to avoid additional confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back