Alternate to E3 Pads

I have Rabestos Specialty rotors with Hawk LTS pads on the front of my 03 Suburban. I was going to put e3's as a temporary pad replacement (1 year) on the rears and keep existing rotors until next year. (I posted a separate thread regarding this). I read several reviews that the e3's do not have the quality they used to.
I contacted EBC. They recommended yellow but generate a lot of dust, or green for occasional towing and contant payload (my work vehicle). These are quite expensive, even more than Hawks.
Any other recommendations?
At this point, I am leaning towards getting Hawks.
Hawks make a lot of reddish dust. I would like to experiment with something that may make less dust on rears, but still have good initial bite and quality.

Looks like a good option. Plenty of good reviews. I assume Extremes are the wat to go with these. I like they come with new shims.

E3 has been my goto until 2 months ago. I really like their bite, grip, pedal feel and pretty low dusting. Both recents sets were problematic and I learned they’ve changed manufacturers.

I redid both brake jobs on both recent vehicles. One I was able to get the noise down. The other, replaced with akebono ASP. Not proACT, but ASP, their performance pads. Mine were GG rated. They have that wooden akebono feel, but besides that so far are every bit as good as the E3 was.

It seems Hawk and EBC are about the same price. EBC is slightly more and claims rotors do not need any prep when re-using the rotors, which is saving some prep time if this is something that actually works and is more than just marketing. I was concerned about potentially introducing any new problems by sanding rotors, since braking is pretty good as-is, just need more pad.
Black is not significantly less in price than green. Green apparently is better for heavier loads and occasional towing...so EBC states.
I like the concept, since the bedding friction material would deglaze the pads while under rotation, in theory, not changing the shape of the existing rotor in any way.
Anyone have any real experience with the EBC bedding on rotors that are not de-glazed and just doing a pad swap?

Last edited:
Back