Alpine stereo too bright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a stereo once that had this bright crackhead red/blue flash mode by default, whenever the battery was disconnected. Supposed to make it stand out in best buy or whatever. I could turn off the flashing via a deep submenu but it was still too bright, particularly this round porthole around the volume control.

So I pulled the faceplate off, masked it off, removed the volume knob, leaving the potentiometer head in place. Then I sprayed black paint over the translucent plastic. Let it dry, put the knob back on, and it was quite a bit better.

Most aftermarket stereos, at least the basic $89 CD headunits, seem marketed at the paper route and prom queen set.

Quote:

Just consider yourself lucky that no crackhead punks ripped it out of your car yet, breaking the side window and doing $700.00 worth of damage (NOT including the head unit!!). Mine only lasted 6 months from installation when this happened.
mad.gif
frown.gif

all that toyota bashing came to a head when that happened, I bet!

Quote:

There MAY be a dimmer lead on that stereo which, when when connected to a source of 12V (the dashboard illumination circuit) dims the buttons.

From the manual:

Illumination Lead (Orange)
This lead may be connected to the vehicle’s instrument
cluster illumination lead. This will allow the backlighting of
the CDA-9883 to dim whenever the vehicle’s lights are
turned on.

No, there is a dimmer illumination feature, and it's properly hooked up. But the only thing it dims when the headlights come on is the LCD display (94.3 FM, etc.). Not the fusion-powered buttons.

Quote:

No, there is a dimmer illumination feature, and it's properly hooked up. But the only thing it dims when the headlights come on is the LCD display (94.3 FM, etc.). Not the fusion-powered buttons.

That's just a poor design, then, which reinforces my belief that those who design these things never use them.

Quote:

Just consider yourself lucky that no crackhead punks ripped it out of your car yet, breaking the side window and doing $700.00 worth of damage (NOT including the head unit!!). Mine only lasted 6 months from installation when this happened.
mad.gif
frown.gif

This is why, when I put a CD player in my 1988 Mustang GT, I got a Mazda one from a wrecking yard for $35. It fit perfectly and nobody will touch it since it says "Mazda" on it.

Oh, the buttons and display dim with the dashboard dimmer control
wink.gif
and they match the green dashboard..

Quote:

Quote:

mad.gif
frown.gif

all that toyota bashing came to a head when that happened, I bet!

confused.gif
W T F are you trying to say here?? NOBODY brought ANYTHING about makes/marques into this thread, yet you INSIST upon doing just that, even when it has NOTHING to do with the thread. Now you know why this site gets the negative/domestic bashing rap it does on other sites.

BTW; I DO NOT bash your precious TOYS, I merely defend my car according to my own experiences with ownership. Something which is akin to a felony on here, it seems.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back