Alpha Lubricants Megamoly motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an '05 Chevy Uplander 3.5L (248K) come into my shop yesterday to investigate a small oil leak - just seepage from the oil pan. In talking to the owner, I asked what kind of oil he used... he grinned and said, "You've never heard of it." and pulled this out from behind the seat:

No API starburst on the back, just large font type like I printed it up on my home printer. With 248,000 miles (and over 300K on the Lumina van before it) I can't say it's not doing its job, but I ain't about to put it in my stuff. Anybody heard of this stuff?

There is a PDS on their website, if you can call it that.

I guess the Alpha Performance Booster got him that far so who is to complain?

Are we an oil snob??????????
39.gif

Nobody here trusts an independent.
They offer a UOA service and you same folks are the ones who cried when Mobil 1 first hit the market.
Drama people. You know this is still America don't you?

You people love to complain about anything. I guess these people are living your dream?
Flame away.....
15.gif

The real problem isn't that no one trusts an independent. Claiming to exceed GF-5 requirements without actually being licensed in North America when you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bottle of GF-5 oil is kind of strange.

There are smaller oil companies I'd trust. There are a couple here even that make actual certified oils. If I want an SN/GF-5 oil, I'm going to have no problem finding one, to the point that I don't need a company claiming to meet the requirements.

At least some boutiques claim they can't be certified for various reasons, such as additive levels or HTHS. What's this oil company's reason?

Originally Posted By: Garak
What's this oil company's reason?

Obviously the "MegaMoly" is too much for the test equipment and causes it to self destruct, LOL!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Nobody here trusts an independent.
They offer a UOA service and you same folks are the ones who cried when Mobil 1 first hit the market.
Drama people. You know this is still America don't you?

A UOA is a terrible way to tell if an oil meets all the aspects of a specification. If they offer such a service it is just a feel-good thing that makes customers think they are getting something but aren't.

For example, the label says it exceeds ILSAC GF-5 requirements. What would I look for in their UOA to confirm this?

Got hired to fix the oil pan leak on this engine so I got to see the inside. Forgot to take pics but it was, to my eye, so-so - no real sludge in the pan but good dark deposits on the sides and in the crannies, especially up around the front pair of rods where the oil pan isn't as deep. Also a dark film on all the moving parts. I can't be sure he said he changed it every 3K but I got the impression he's that kind of guy. No evidence it's a bad oil but none to say, "Holy cow, where can I get this stuff?!"

The website isn't very good and I'd be willing to re-write the copy for them in exchange for a few cases of their oil and a couple of UOAs.
Who really knows? This might be a really decent oil.
I think that a VOA followed with UOA would tell one a lot about this oil, in terms of how it's formulated and how well it holds up in service.
The nice clear oil showed pouring out of a quart bottle on the home page seems too light in color to contain any moly at all, much less mega amounts.
Even demi moly oils are darker.
Once again, we just don't know whether this is a really good small-scale oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Once again, we just don't know whether this is a really good small-scale oil.

1. It has no certifications whatsoever, not even API.
2. Their website says "Automobile oil is the #1 oil you could put in your vehicle."
3. The label looks like it was printed by a 5 year-old.
4. It claims to have the ridiculous "Alpha Premium Performance Booster"
5. The website says that one of the advantages to this oil is that your engine will outlast your radio.

I'd say we know a lot about that oil.

None of what you've written tells us anything at all about the oil.
It does have a website that was decently designed by some indie, but the copy was obviously not written by someone familiar with the craft.
Other than that, we know nothing about this oil and I'd be interested in learning something about it.
You've heard of craft beers?
This appears to be a craft oil.
A microformulator if you will.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
None of what you've written tells us anything at all about the oil.
It does have a website that was decently designed by some indie, but the copy was obviously not written by someone familiar with the craft.
Other than that, we know nothing about this oil and I'd be interested in learning something about it.
You've heard of craft beers?
This appears to be a craft oil.
A microformulator if you will.

No, it appears to be a total junk oil that I'd not let anywhere near any of my vehicles. That appearance is exactly what I was pointing out in my list.

I live in Wisconsin. There are a lot of bad craft beers. Not everyone who can shove something in a bottle and call it "beer" knows what they are doing. This appears to be the same.

Suppose you do run a VOA on it. Will that tell you that it exceeds GL-5 like the label says?

The owner of the van is mennonite, and mentioned Alpha is formerly King oil and was started by mennonites. SO, not that I have a particular bent against the amish/mennonite community, but that certain of their marketing statements seem somewhat irrelevant or out of touch fits the opinion I hold that because of their cultural differences from the rest of the world they aren't the most acclimated to how the rest of the world does things. And that he insists on using this oil is at least partly because it supports members of his community.

Of course not, but if you run a VOA followed with a UOA, that would tell you everything you would need to know about the serviceability of this oil.
After all, oil analysis is all about the oil and there are plenty of comparator UOAs on this site.
If this stuff is junk, fine.
It's just that it may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back