All the locked threads...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads are locked for a variety of reasons:
- old ones which get locked were typically spam driven; they were getting revived and we actually got lots of "reports" on old threads being kicked back up and the topics are no longer valid, etc. Our site has an automated system which locks threads after some many months of inactivity.
- old ones were sometimes kicked back up because someone is trying to stir an old pot; again, these often are "reported" by members, for good reason
- newer threads which have "lived a good life" and are just going around and around and around and around and around and ... will get locked because tempers are beginning to flare
- any thread will get locked when the banter is turning sour, and it's nearly impossible to keep up with the posts as they happen "live". To moderate a thread for any one post, it can take 5 minutes or more to properly research the offender's record, decide upon action, take that action, send a PM. In that time, several more offending posts happen, including people "replying" (quoting) the initial offending post, which then makes us have to go clean up "reply" posts as well. So, there are many times when it's easier to lock the thread and let things cool down a bit, and in that time, the Mod can send several PMs as well as clean up any illicit or offensive posts. How bad can this get? Not long ago, I had to "delete" about every 4th post by several different members. It made sense to lock that thread so I could moderate it without it sprialing faster than I can react.

And sometimes, things are so bad, the entire thread just is sent to quarantine. It may be because of an illicit topic, or it may be because cleaning the thread of all the offending posts would make the thread impossible to read with all the deleted context missing.

I have many times locked a thread, let it cool down for a day, and then reopened it.
I have many times told everyone to "knock it off" in public.
I have many times banned or blocked folks.
I have sent many threads to quarantine.
It's my job to moderate, and I do it under the direction of the site owner.
I have moderated at many sites over my years, and I quit because the wishy-washy polices and terrible behavior of many members made things unpallatable. There are only two sites I moderate for now; this and one other (same owner).

I was a cop for 25 years; I'm used to people's feelings getting hurt when I take action. But what many folks don't realize is how many people appreciate the enforcment, but never say anything; they just go on about their daily lives in the general calm provided. The same pretty much goes on here at BITOG also. Sure, some folks don't like the way this site is managed, but FAR, FAR more people do, and they just don't say anything because they have nothing to complain about.

As for how this site is run, it's the reflection of the owner's discretion, period. The owner, and the Mods, don't really care how other sites are run, or how FB is moderated, etc. We hold ourselves to our own standards and truly could not care less how other sites are managed. We want to thrive here at BITOG, but we're not going to compromise our principles and values to do it.

As wwillson has said, if you want a thread unlocked, PM a Mod and ask for it to be reviewed. Preferrably, PM the Mod who locked it, as he'll have the most knowledge about why it was locked in the first place.
I think the mods generally do a great job here. When I’ve drifted too far into political territory, or got a little animated in calling a dumb post for what it is. When the issue wasn’t clear (or I asked for clarification, both wwilson & dnewton3 actually had discussions with me and were generally sympathetic to my point, but just said the way I had approached things weren’t allowed per the rules. I’ve got no issue than that.

I will say, though, that some posts which certainly appeared lock-worthy didn’t get the axe while there were others like TiGeo said were having what appeared to be somewhat productive discussions that were locked. Overall, I can’t really complain because the bang-for-the-buck is great! 😂

Why do you think the thread was even posted ... maybe to "push buttons"?, lol. I don't see anything wrong with having technical debates with some button pushing and some so called "bickering" as long as it doesn't get into bad personal attack territory.
Yep, arguing on topic to the technical merits of a discussion are usually beneficial. If all you’ve got left is to belittle someone and stray from the topic matter, you’ve already lost the argument. Study more first before posting! 🤣

For instance… Locked thread on 0w5 put in a Navigator. Before even reading into that thread you know buttons will be pushed. You can not fix…
If those folks aren't mature enough to deal with that (long term member or not), they shouldn't be here or should move past it. The rest of us should be able to interact in that post with some reasonable back/forth without that being locked....that is the whole point of this thread, not the OT stuff, bad language, whatever. I just can't believe on an oil forum you can't have a post about oil without it getting locked and it happens all the time. If you think that guy is nuts for doing that, step in, say "you're nuts b/c of XYZ technical blah blah blahs" and leave. You don't have to have the last word in this thread and argue your point adnauseum and getting all the posts locked.

78ay9s.jpg

^^^ "You don't have to have the last word in this thread and argue your point ad nauseum and getting all the posts locked". ^^^

This is what gets annoying to members, and I'd venture to say some Mods ...

Nobody wants to see your bucket of used oil and dented oil filter or the pile of parts that you purchased.
I think you mispelled "YOU don't want to see....". Clearly there is a chunk of the BITOG collective that likes that stuff/those posts based on the reactions given and comments made. I probably don't care about a lot of what content you like here on BITOG if I click on your name and see what/where you post here but I don't think those threads should be "sent to La La Land".

Last edited:
At least the guy puts his money where his mouth is. And he creates quality content.

It is also not like it is without precedent isn't he running 0/20 or 5/20 in a mega buck Ferrari? A Navigator black label is a beater for him.

I need to go read the whole thing, but it looks like a few ruined it on quick glance. I see one of our frequent flier fake newbs had a quality post on the first page...

This is a serious question though: Is M56959 a real person or is it just a hatchet account like "rule keeper" or "Admin22" or something?

The mods have a lot to deal with. Each mod has their own way of doing things.

Are you guys adding any more mods at some point in the future?

Yep, arguing on topic to the technical merits of a discussion are usually beneficial. If all you’ve got left is to belittle someone and stray from the topic matter, you’ve already lost the argument. Study more first before posting! 🤣
I've also seen where this board is sometimes too technical for some, and they melt down when they can't back-up their technical claims. Then things start to melt down with so called "bickering" and maybe even personal attacks start happening because nobody, even with tons of supporting information, can sway them to overcome their misconceptions.

This is a serious question though: Is @M56959 a real person or is it just a hatchet account like "rule keeper" or "Admin22" or something?
It has been my experience that the individuals in authority that do not wear a uniform are the ones that deserve special respect.

Please elaborate because i don't get your point.

Cant view the profile (thus cannot PM to discuss as suggested above)
Does not appear to have ever posted content other than moderation based on a review of 4 pages of search results.

I've also seen where this board is sometimes too technical for some, and they melt down when they can't back-up their technical claims. Then things start to melt down with so called "bickering" and maybe even personal attacks because nobody, even with tons of supporting information, can sway them to overcome their misconceptions.
That’s where I think the mods step in, if needed. A “hey, you’re arguing with someone who is not only much more knowledgeable (especially when they’re arguing with industry insiders), but you’re wrong even if you don’t yet understand why, and if you continue to insist on spreading wrong or clearly false info, you’ll soon have to find a new board to wreck.” 🤣

This is a serious question though: Is @M56959 a real person or is it just a hatchet account like "rule keeper" or "Admin22" or something?
Based on some of his/her comments in the last post of a locked thread, I'd say a real person - not an AI robot, lol.

Exactly my point.

So you're saying if i don't shut my mouth - the secret police (or is the eyes) are going to show up and drag me off in black helicopters/ladas/urals/(vans with a winged eye) and i'll be lucky if I get to come back in a red dress but probably be found on the wall... :geek:

What amazes me most about BITOG is the percentage of threads that go negative in just a couple posts. (not talking about my posts) No other forum I'm on is like this. As I found out it's not cool to point out Negative Nellie's. I rarely read threads past page 1 as they usually become negative on this site.

What amazes me most about BITOG is the percentage of threads that go negative in just a couple posts. (not talking about my posts) No other forum I'm on is like this. As I found out it's not cool to point out Negative Nellie's. I rarely read threads past page 1 as they usually become negative on this site.
That's a matter of perspective.

Seems moderator discussing this said there were PM’s involved sent and received. That should answer the OP question.

Y'all seem to have misunderstood me. I have a lot less issue with the OT stuff in OT forums, though i do believe it attracts more casual poster who then stray where they might not should be.

Completely off topic nonsense in a technical thread should be automatic grounds for a vacation ...
When we get a mod alert or see a thread that is in the wrong forum, we simply move the thread to the correct forum. If you see a thread in the wrong forum, just alert us.

Are you guys adding any more mods at some point in the future?
It's possible, but we aren't actively looking now. All of our mods were hand picked because they stood out as rational, intelligent, care about BITOG, etc. Our mod team is fantastic and put in a lot more hours on this site than most people understand. Have you thanked a mod today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back