ALCE COVER GASKET?

Family friend had an oil leak and took their 2016 Escape to Manny and Moe. $1400 for the work on the attached estimate. All of this started less than 1 week after they took the car for an oil change to the same location. Friend claims there was no leak before the oil change. I have never heard of an Alce gasket and I am guessing that when the oil was changed they double gasketed the oil filter.
Here is where it gets good, after she agreed to the $1400 repairs the oil leak is much worse as evidenced by the growing oil puddle on their driveway.
I cannot help because I am 5 states away, want to tell her how to pull the cover off the bottom of the engine and see if the oil filter is leaking.
Screenshot_20231209_073240_Messages.jpg

Alce? ??? I wonder if valve cover.

Sounds like a right good fleecing. I mean, for all I know, right cost for the job—but I am dubious it was needed, especially since it didn’t fix the problem.

Based upon the location of the characters on a qwerty keyboard, I suspect that the service writer mis-typed "Alce cover" for Valve cover. If you need to show her how to access the oil filter for inspection, here is a decent video. Note that a T-30 Torx bit driver is needed to remove the under chassis cover.

Last edited:
Based upon the location of the characters on a qwerty keyboard, I suspect that the service writer mis-typed "Alce cover" for Valve cover. If you need to show her how to access the oil filter for inspection, here is a decent video. Note that a T-30 Torx bit driver is needed to remove the under chassis cover.

She is 60 and has 0 mechanical aptitude. I was hoping the car did not have a cover so she could get under and take a pic of the oil filter.

She took it back to pepboys this morning and the "tech" said that the oil dripping in her driveway is "residual oil from the repair" i am backing out of this because it is going to end with a spun bearing...would love to help but cannot do it from 10 hours away.

Back