Akebono pads claim low-dust, how is this a good thing?

I've seen a few of you plump for Akebono pads... this because of their claim for low-dust?

"I hate dust!" they cry.

Should I worry? How can that be right? When I went to school friction was a factor of force not area, and its by-product was wear. If these pads reduce the dust, they reduce the wear too. Thus less friction. There's no free-lunch in Physics.
Or they're so hard, they require greater force to produce the same friction. If this wasn't a fundamental law of Physics, Acmebonehead could claim the world's first 100 million mile dustless pad, sell us Acmebonehead pads for life, and have it done. No dust, no wear, no friction.

I'm quite prepared to be called the fool here, yes really...

Is this me? Should I go back to class with a 3/10 for iffy homework. I mean I ask you, do you really want someone who lets that claim go past them, namely a Acmebonehead customer on the same road as you?

I've seen a few of you plump for Akebono pads... this because of their claim for low-dust?

"I hate dust!" they cry.

Should I worry? How can that be right? When I went to school friction was a factor of force not area, and its by-product was wear. If these pads reduce the dust, they reduce the wear too. Thus less friction. There's no free-lunch in Physics.
Or they're so hard, they require greater force to produce the same friction. If this wasn't a fundamental law of Physics, Ake-me-bonehead could claim the world's first 100 million mile dustless pad, seell us Ake-me-bonehead pads for life, and have it done. No dust, no wear, no friction.

Is this me? Should I go back to class with a 3/10 for iffy homework. I mean I ask you, do you really want someone who lets that claim go past them, namely a Ake-me-bonehead customer on the same road as you?
Couldn’t they be ceramic material? Less dust, less visible than metallic/semi-metallic?

I'm aware of coeffiecient of friction, hence my line:

==========
Or they're so hard, they require greater force to produce the same friction.
==========

Thus agreed: "One material that grips better doesn't necessarily have to wear faster."

It will require more force to account for this.

You're not an Acmebonehead customer are you.

You are aren't you?

Are you...

Say you are.

Last edited:
I prefer mine not to look bronze

IMG_3245.jpeg

"I hate dust!" they cry.

Or they're so hard, they require greater force to produce the same friction. If this wasn't a fundamental law of Physics, Acmebonehead could claim the world's first 100 million mile dustless pad, sell us Acmebonehead pads for life, and have it done. No dust, no wear, no friction.

Is this me? Should I go back to class with a 3/10 for iffy homework. I mean I ask you, do you really want someone who lets that claim go past them, namely a Acmebonehead customer on the same road as you?

This post is almost hysterical. It ignores billions of miles of actual evidence. Yes, ceramic brake pads do not stop as well as semi-metallic brake pads. But the difference is nowhere near the overexaggerated extent you elude to.

I suspect the problem isn't with ceramic brakes, but rather the practice of many who suggest that ceramic brakes are low/no dust. If my understanding is correct, the true answer is that ceramic pads produce low/no apparent, or visible, dust. Ceramic pads still produce dust. It just isn't the nasty reddish-brown stuff that most of us despise.

Don't sweat the iffy homework. We've all done it. That's why we come here to BITOG. Someone will correct us - even when we are right. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

================

If my understanding is correct, the true answer is that ceramic pads produce low/no apparent, or visible, dust. Ceramic pads still produce dust. It just isn't the nasty reddish-brown stuff that most of us despise.

================

I don't know for fact, yet that sounds highly plausible. For these pads to work the dust must be present or heat and force must go up, which in turn must produce much the same dust. Or a claim for long-life would be thrown in. It's just less visible or doesn't stick, thus isn't seen. Fair answer. Only on a ceramic set-up they'll all be low-dust, the claim has less worth anyway.

Only I think they make the claim on standard materials too. I've seen late 90s Volvos with 'less dust' pads. Nothing ceramic in those.

Last edited:
================

If my understanding is correct, the true answer is that ceramic pads produce low/no apparent, or visible, dust. Ceramic pads still produce dust. It just isn't the nasty reddish-brown stuff that most of us despise.

================

I don't know for fact, yet that sounds sensible. For these pads to work the dust must be present.

If you already knew this, then why all the over-the-top hyperbole in your op?

This post is almost hysterical. It ignores billions of miles of actual evidence. Yes, ceramic brake pads do not stop as well as semi-metallic brake pads. But the difference is nowhere near the overexaggerated extent you elude to.

I suspect the problem isn't with ceramic brakes, but rather the practice of many who suggest that ceramic brakes are low/no dust. If my understanding is correct, the true answer is that ceramic pads produce low/no apparent, or visible, dust. Ceramic pads still produce dust. It just isn't the nasty reddish-brown stuff that most of us despise.

Don't sweat the iffy homework. We've all done it. That's why we come here to BITOG. Someone will correct us - even when we are right. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
They also produce dust that doesn't stick to wheels as easily

Most people mix the usage of pads. As with everything, it is a compromise.
Driving BMW, STi, etc. aggressively? No, ceramic pads are not a good option.
However, they are really good solutions for family minivans, SUVs, and generally, people that have a "love affair" with the brake pedal. They are easy on rotors, they take heat well, and they don't dust.
I personally think they are garbage, but that is MY driving style and needs.

If you already knew this, then why all the over-the-top hyperbole in your op?
Because, I didn't know the dust doesn't stick, I didn't write that, I quoted. - I've seen this claim on non-ceramic set-ups from our freinds. For pedants, even with ceramics, the claim isn't entirely accurate, It lacks a certain 'ring' the real claim is:

Dust that doesn't stick.

How without losing somewhere, our 'Brothers in Brakes' can make the claim away from their ceramic offerings still doesn't stack, yet they make it. Or did.

Your entire premise is wrong. Brakes do not stop a car by converting kinetic energy to dust.

Brakes stop a car by converting kinetic energy to HEAT.

If that can be accomplished by using materials that produce less visible dust, and can still apply enough pressure to lock the brakes, then the job is accomplished.

Back