AirAsia flight missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Guess I will stick to driving. All I ever would want to go is in US/Canada.

Admittedly, the chances of surviving a car crash are much better than the chances of surviving an airplane crash.

hotwheels

I wish more people would realize how true what you said is. I hear the case made for flight all the time.

I, myself, prefer land travel. Too many cruise ship nightmares, and how they can still operate I am not sure..

And I wish people would realize how WRONG you are.

Over 90% of people survive airplane crashes.

Airplane crashes are far less likely per mile traveled. And airplane fatalities are far less likely. On the order of thousands of times less likely.

But a fatal car crash doesn't make CNN, even though a fatality happens about 100 times a day in the US.

So, people have a terribly inaccurate perception of risk. In the US, about 30,000 people die each year in car crashes- while often ZERO people die in plane crashes that same year.

Well, when you put it that way.

Me? I don't have any control over what a pilot does over uncertain weather or mechanicals when I am a passenger on any plane. Nor does anyone else.

I think ... oh nevermind. (I was going to describe how a plane with a horrible malfunction could kill all passengers.. hasnt happened in the US very often, but, abroad? Still infrequent. But all it takes is that one time..)

So, when a fellow poster points out that an airline COULD kill you, I would agree with him.

Clowns on the road? I know how to avoid/get away from them/let them go around, etc.
But that is just me.

Quote:
Doesn't make CNN

That's not saying much (lol)

So, a quick check of Wikipedia (don't let the facts sway your opinion, though) on airline fatalities in the US...

2010: 0
2011: 0
2012: 0
2103: 2 (UPS cargo jet, so it counts, but no passengers died)
2104: 0 to date.

Hmmm...so, in the past five years, not one airline fatality.

But there have been roughly 165,000 traffic deaths in that same period.

When I see the clowns on the road, taking video of their driving, texting, applying makeup, reading, and everything else but driving, I think I'll fly, thanks.

Good post and excellent data to back it up.

Most people in my opinion don't seem to realize those facts though.

Every 1 to 1.5 years on our roads....approximately the same number of people die in car wrecks, that died in the Vietnam War.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Good point...I didn't realize radar is limited! Transponders wouldn't matter...they would need something satellite based.

Most long-haul airliners already have satellite-based location reporting systems, but they typically only send location every ten minutes or so, as satellite bandwidth is expensive. AF447, for example, sent its location a few minutes before it crashed in the Atlantic, and that was used to begin the search for debris. MH370 couldn't send its position, as someone or something had disabled that system.

In this case, the aircraft was probably still in range of ground-based receivers, so probably wouldn't have been using the satellite system, if it was even installed on a short-range airliner.

Well then there needs to be better quality tracking devices on-board that will better pin point the location of the plane once it goes down. Seems like the current systems are weak at instantly showing where the plane went down. Systems need to be in place that send out the location of the crash in many ways (a signal, a beep, a light, an email sent to the airline, some air bag that inflates and floats at the crash site, etc, etc.)

I find it hard to believe that with the advanced technology we have in place today, these giant planes can keep disappearing like this without a trace! It's unacceptable.

HUMANITY needs to invest in better tracking devices for these freakin planes. Soon we'll have commercial jets buzzing around faster then the speed of sound without a reliable way of seeing what the current location of the bird is from one second to the next!!! It can end up ANYWHERE after dropping off radar for 5 minutes, are you kidding me?! UNACCEPTABLE!

Why do we still rely on radar, and not GPS?

And. Is it not odd that BOTH of these flights had to do with Malaysia?

Many closet jihadists in Malaysia.

The DJ at Radio 101.5 shares these views.

And if the plane is not found, then speculation will run rife.

Why do people put their lives in other's hands?

Are you suggesting we ban all public trans?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are you suggesting we ban all public trans?

LOL! I didn't think of it that way...

Malfunctionprone, Flying into the core of a thunderstorm is dangerous if not deadly.

Astro is one of our goto guys for Aviation questions etc. What he is saying is fact.

Last edited:
So, a quick check of Wikipedia (don't let the facts sway your opinion, though) on airline fatalities in the US...

When I see the clowns on the road, taking video of their driving, texting, applying makeup, reading, and everything else but driving, I think I'll fly, thanks.

Now now. Don't bring statistics, probabilities and rational thinking into this. It goes against what people already know is the real truth.

For those who say they would rather drive despite statistics proving driving is more dangerous than flying, I fully understand as a white knuckle flyer. In a fatal car crash, its WHAM! and its over in no time. In a plane, if it goes down, you have a minute or so to totally freak out. I know my rationale is seriously flawed. I work in a level 1 ER and see first hand how people can suffer immense amounts of pain for hours prior to death from a severe auto accident. I hope never to be the recipient of a chest tube.
The reality of it is in a plane, the death is more quick, but in a car, I feel total control of my destiny. When I board a plane, my life is in someone else's hands for several hours. I know this sounds bad, and I do fly a few times a year, but when it comes to transportation, fear supersedes common sense and facts. And I'm always glad when I am back home.
This is coming from someone who enjoys skydiving as well.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Malfunctionprone, Flying into the core of a thunderstorm is dangerous if not deadly.

Astro is one of our goto guys for Aviation questions etc. What he is saying is fact.

I was under the impression that airlines (like UPS and any other company with brains) are constantly aware of the weather and won't send a plane full of people STRAIGHT into a serious thunderstorm and then put the pilot on hold on the phone while they ask for approval or deny a change in course all together just as the plane is about to enter the eye of the storm and goes down as a result. Are you kidding me?! What kind of piece of [censored] air line company does this?

I think the Asians need to just call it quits and hand over their planes to a proper company with a safe track record before they put more lives at risk or end up taking more lives due to their poor management.

How many more planes do they have in their fleet?

Originally Posted By: Michael_P

The reality of it is in a plane, the death is more quick, but in a car, I feel total control of my destiny. When I board a plane, my life is in someone else's hands for several hours.

When I'm driving my car my life is in the hands of every car I pass, every car that passes me and every car I face in the on-coming lane.
The only control I have over my destiny is keep my eyes open and the seat belt tight .

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Michael_P

The reality of it is in a plane, the death is more quick, but in a car, I feel total control of my destiny. When I board a plane, my life is in someone else's hands for several hours.

When I'm driving my car my life is in the hands of every car I pass, every car that passes me and every car I face in the on-coming lane.
The only control I have over my destiny is keep my eyes open and the seat belt tight .

Boy..you hit the nail on the head for sure.

There are so many nut cases on the highways nowadays I often take the backroads. The backroads are more scenic anyway. And in the wintertime in Colorado there are too many people with fancy four wheel drives who drive way too fast and right behind other cars. They think they are invincible in their mighty four wheel drives and they are not. Without chains and in a pickup truck weight in the bed even a four wheel drive can slide on black ice. I have seen what black ice can do. The past winter I saw a four wheel drive vehicle spinning around like a top.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Good post and excellent data to back it up.

Most people in my opinion don't seem to realize those facts though.

Every 1 to 1.5 years on our roads....approximately the same number of people die in car wrecks, that died in the Vietnam War.

During WW2, more americans died in car crashes than american soldiers in the war.

Originally Posted By: aa1986

Now now. Don't bring statistics, probabilities and rational thinking into this. It goes against what people already know is the real truth.

I dont doubt Astro's info at all, simply saying that people also have other reasons for not taking planes. Maybe I didn't say that right. Maybe I said something else.

I know Astro14 knows his stuff.

Just for your info there are an annual average of 67 people killed every year from lightning bolts. This is a small number compared to U.S. motor vehicle accidents which has averaged 45,600 a year for the last 20 years. In comparison tornadoes cause an average of 65 deaths each year in the U.S. There are an average of 4,000 deaths each year in the U.S. from fires. The average fatalities from airline accidents in the world has averaged 714 a year for the last 20 years. If you take into account that more than 80% of these deaths were international and not domestic, then you would have an average 142 deaths in the U.S. each year from airline accidents. You should also consider that the majority of airline accidents are military with all the numbers from the world statistics. With 912,000 U.S. auto fatalities from the last 20 years you can easily see that you are far more likley to have a fatal auto accident than an airline accident. In fact you are more likley to die in a fire. Or perhaps nearly the same odds as getting killed by a tornado or a lightning bolt. This information can be found in the World Almanac.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
BTW, how many gun deaths to compare?

About 11,000. That includes all gun deaths like suicide and accidental. By way of comparison, doctors kill almost 200,000 people a year. The third leading cause of death in the US.

Originally Posted By: whip
By way of comparison, doctors kill almost 200,000 people a year. The third leading cause of death in the US.

Wow, they are quite efficient at killing. This is why they get the big bucks, I guess.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: whip
By way of comparison, doctors kill almost 200,000 people a year. The third leading cause of death in the US.

Wow, they are quite efficient at killing. This is why they get the big bucks, I guess.

To be fair....how many deaths do you think they prevent, or SAVE, every year (no matter how hard idiots try and kill themselves from eating heart stopping foods, smoking, risk taking activities, suicide attempts, preventable car accidents/injuries, etc....and just plain foolishness)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back