Air filter study link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Groucho!! I remember a test that Car and Driver conducted a few years ago where they took a Grand Prix GT and did several quarter mile runs with both the stock filter and a K&N filter. The K&N showed no difference in the times at all. I also remember reading an article in Sport Compact Car where they put one of those "Short Ram" intakes with the silver tube and the cone filter on a Civic EX. The Civic EX lost an average of 4 rear-wheel horsepower on the dyno with this setup due to the hot air from the radiator being sucked in. I have had K&N's on several cars, but have been using OEM paper filters for the last couple of years. I have never noticed any improvement in throttle response or quickness by using a K&N. -Joe

Yeah Joe,

Marketing and advertising makes it a jungle out there.
confused.gif

That's an interesting study. It pretty much confirms what is known about the different types.

I've heard a lot about the Kool Blue (Accell?) It is supposed to filter better than the K&N and still give good airflow. Still considering one of these for my Cherokee.....

Interesting!

I do NOT like Amsoil planar air filters, especially the old special order single foam kind used in this test. When I saw how even the reg. 2-stage fit on my Volvo 855, I said "no way", and don't sell them (seriously). The thing does not fit like the Mann as far as sealing the airbox.

So this test confirmed that the Mann on my 855 is a good choice for flow. We'll see the oil analysis in about 2 weeks!

My Toyota and Volvo 245 have Amsoil AF's though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back