Aftermarket AC. How much did they really save?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady drove in today with a mid 80's motorhome that's based on a ford E350 van. When new it did not have AC. The builder added an aftermarket AC to it. Removed the dash and cut various holes for the vents, hoses etc. Fabbed up mounting brackets for the compressor. Also removed the grill to install the condenser.

Why not just order the cutaway van chassies with factory AC to begin with? Did they really save that much by installing an inferrier AC system vs the factory installed one?

Originally Posted by Superflan
Availability at that time, or cooling power?

Cooling power is less than the stock stuff. I'm sure that factory ac was available at the time.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Cooling power is less than the stock stuff. I'm sure that factory ac was available at the time.

On a stripper model?

Originally Posted by pitzel

On a stripper model?

What else would they use cutaways for? Ambulances, airport shuttle busses-- all things that should have good if not fantastic AC.

A/C wasn't as common in the 80s. It was optional on most cars, and probably seldom seen in a truck chassis back in the day.

Many RV builders were up in Northern IN. They probably ordered ALL the chassis without A/C and then sold A/C as an option to those who would buy it.

Lady drove in today with a mid 80's motorhome that's based on a ford E350 van. When new it did not have AC. The builder added an aftermarket AC to it. Removed the dash and cut various holes for the vents, hoses etc. Fabbed up mounting brackets for the compressor. Also removed the grill to install the condenser.

Why not just order the cutaway van chassies with factory AC to begin with? Did they really save that much by installing an inferrier AC system vs the factory installed one?

You're the AC guy, tell us...
smile.gif

My parents got a killer deal on a brand new 1985 wagon... with no AC. I remember the blanked out button. They took it someplace and got AC installed. Worked great. No idea of the cost back then...

It is early yet, . Still need the coffee. Here is more what I mean by this.

Though I do not know about how something like Air Conditioning can be added aftermarket, though I have heard of aftermarket power locks and or windows on 80s vehicles.. Upon first viewing this thread I reckon you all were talking about the cost of refrigerant.

In the 80s that wiuld be R12

Now, R12 of course no longer made, you have to look for it and it tends to have pretty high price for old cans. Do not know if this is known but R152a is very similar and seems to do the job and is used by some as a replacement for those pricier cans of R12 which can still be had in old product but requires lookin.

Use a side tap and the R12 apparatus that threads on like a bicycle or car tire valve and you've got a cheap and easy way to have some cold AC.

And if it leaks out then youve got a leak.. just refill, this stuff tends to sell out in stores this kind of year. Grab it all when you see it and you can keep older AC systems happy easily, just need you side tap and R12 hose that works.

[Linked Image]

IT works as well as this super pricey stuff
which is still not R12
It is Propane.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hijack the A/C thread, but:

I just googled the ingredient from a duster can on my shelf. Difluoroethane, also known as R152a. It can be used for a lot of things besides refrigeration and dusting, including this one that didn't turn out well:

"With a Peculiar Device"

A friend just built a beautiful 69 Trans Am clone and put Vintage Air on the big block. I was on the fence about putting it on my 440 in my restomod 68 roadrunner but after riding in his car, I'm a believer.

Neither of our cars had air from the factory.

Originally Posted by talest
R152a or R12?

Originally R12. Now has r134a fittings on it so someone tried to charge it with r134a but left the old receiver drier on it.

I'm down to about 50 lbs of R12. I tried the r152 in my cars. It works well except leaked out quickly. Was constantly refilling them. Definitely needs a different type of hose or solid and welded lines.

Plus its not legal for automotive use. Leaks out probably why?

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
A friend just built a beautiful 69 Trans Am clone and put Vintage Air on the big block. I was on the fence about putting it on my 440 in my restomod 68 roadrunner but after riding in his car, I'm a believer.

If I have the option definitely going with A/C aftermarket or not.

Originally Posted by Trav
I remember many Subaru's in the 80's had no factory A/C, most were dealer installed. This may have been the same.

But those are OEM factory systems designed for a particular model, not a hack job like the OP mentioned. My first 76 Honda Accord was a dealer installed factory unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
I remember many Subaru's in the 80's had no factory A/C, most were dealer installed. This may have been the same.

My 1985 Subaru GL10 turbo wagon had factory air. The a/c was about the only thing on it that actually worked.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer

My c3 vette has factory air but I am going with Vintage Air. Even when the cars where brand new the "VIR" system was barely adequate and complicated. Everyone I talked to who put VintageAir in their cars say it gets the car frosty even on low.

I had factory air in a /6 plymouth scamp. It worked well but that big'ol RV2 compressor took power to run. Cruising down the highway you felt it when it cycled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back