Adapter to allow WiFi on 2015 Acer desktop?

Hi all. I'm not exactly a computer geek, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. We just moved my dad into a seniors apt. and they have free WiFi for his use. Unfortunately, his computer is a desktop Acer from 2015 and was previously hooked up to Ethernet cable and doesn't seem to have WiFi capability. Any simple solutions?

There are plenty of WiFi cards that can be inserted into the desktop PC. Suggestions depend entirely on which version of (presumably) Windows he has and the exact model of the desktop (to determine what types of slots are available). There are also USB-based units available that would be more agnostic as far as OS and hardware.

Hi all. I'm not exactly a computer geek, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. We just moved my dad into a seniors apt. and they have free WiFi for his use. Unfortunately, his computer is a desktop Acer from 2015 and was previously hooked up to Ethernet cable and doesn't seem to have WiFi capability. Any simple solutions?
I would make 100% sure it doesn't have wifi capability from the factory before you spend any money. Wifi adapters have been standard issue on laptops, even cheap ones for years now. What does it say under 'Network adapters' under Device Manager?

I just bought this and it works great, it was plug and play for both Windows and Linux Mint installs.

Wifi adapters have been standard issue on laptops, even cheap ones for years now.

right he has a desktop. you even quoted it.

If the wifi signal isnt real strong.. consider a usb wifi with external antenna.
since its a desktop it wont get in the way.

right he has a desktop. you even quoted it.

If the wifi signal isnt real strong.. consider a usb wifi with external antenna.
since its a desktop it wont get in the way.
+1
This would be the way to go.

Get one that comes with an extension cable so it can be moved around. The back of a desktop isn't the best place for reception.

A family member recently had a nearby lightning strike that failed their ethernet connection. They bought a TP-Link USB dongle and it seems to be quite fine.

Wow, sincerely appreciate all the replies. Looks like a USB adapter is the thing to try and the computer still has 1 open USB port(Yay!) And thanks to DBMaster

FYI, you can always add a cheap USB hub if you need more ports. Most computers can actually manage over 100 USB devices.

DBM

FYI, you can always add a cheap USB hub if you need more ports. Most computers can actually manage over 100 USB devices.

DBM
Yup, and make sure the USB port as well as the USB hub are 3.0 at least, or else you'll be limited to about 20-25 MB/s of wi-fi throughput. Although OP's dad likely doesn't require anything faster than that. :)

I'm using this hub and wifi adapter at home:

It pushes 40- 50 MB/s (sustained) when transfering files within my home network, which is a lot faster than may laptop's own built-in wifi adapter, alas my laptop is 8 years old, so no surprise there.

The tp-link USB works very good. Also if you have any strong wifi from neighbors look at what channel theyre on and adjust yours to the unused quietest channel.

I would make 100% sure it doesn't have wifi capability from the factory before you spend any money. Wifi adapters have been standard issue on laptops, even cheap ones for years now. What does it say under 'Network adapters' under Device Manager?
^^yup^^ and on desktops too.

If all else fails many of the USB options will in many cases be better then the built in, if range is an issue. But I find it hard to believe he has a desktop with no Wifi card, actually think its impossible but whatever ... *L*

^^yup^^ and on desktops too.

If all else fails many of the USB options will in many cases be better then the built in, if range is an issue. But I find it hard to believe he has a desktop with no Wifi card, actually think its impossible but whatever ... *L*

It's not unusual for desktops to lack WiFi, particularly business-style desktops.

Back