AC Unit Damaged Condenser Fins - Keep?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Bought refurb Midea U-shaped 12K unit from Wallimart for a little cheaper than new (330 vs 400 at Costco). I also bought the 4-year extended warranty, since the unit only comes with a 90 return period. This brought it to the same price as new.

The issue is that the unit came in a box with almost no packing material. It was pretty pathetic. some of the fins are smushed flat.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the fins? I’m 80% for returning it and just buying a new unit from Costco. This was supposed to replace a ten yo unit…which has perfect fins. In fact, only one of my units has maybe 1/10th of this unit.

We’ve all seem rough-looking units that seem to work just fine but this is a refurb unit, not well-used.

Attachments

• IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
From what I see that's not a problem. You can un-smash the fins with a fin comb or just use a small screwdriver if you want but the way it is now really isn't going to matter. I've seen condensing units that have had the entire bottom row of fins smashed in by lawnmower wheels and they ran ok.

From what I see that's not a problem. You can un-smash the fins with a fin comb or just use a small screwdriver if you want but the way it is now really isn't going to matter. I've seen condensing unit that have had the entire bottom row of fins smashed in by lawnmower wheels and they ran ok.

You’re probably right and I’m just expecting too much. This why I posted, thank you.

I have some time with the return window, so no rush to make a decision.

That won't make any difference. And with a little care, will straighten out well enough. Even factory new equipment will sometimes have minor fin bends.

As long as it is not leaking, it should be fine.
Buy a cheap fin straightener if you are worried, should not take more than 15 minutes to straighten them as best as you can.

That won't make any difference. And with a little care, will straighten out well enough. Even factory new equipment will sometimes have minor fin bends.
As long as it is not leaking, it should be fine.
Buy a cheap fin straightener if you are worried, should not take more than 15 minutes to straighten them as best as you can.

I do have a fin straightener and I guess it doesn’t hurt to use it on this regardless of whether I keep it.

My concern is that the packing was so shoddy, and the small amount of damage beyond the vent fins (small bend in the frame) lead me to believe that I might have issues sooner than later. I haven’t had to use an extended warranty in a long time, so maybe that’s a non-issue as well. It’s through Allstate.

I did test run it and it’s way quieter than what it will replace, and that’s with the whole unit on the ground, not in the window yet.

Wow... that really is a sad display of packing material. While I'm sure the unit will likely function just fine overall, your extended warranty may come in handy in this case.

Back